Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:

Old 07-07-2023, 10:01 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumly2071 View Post
I have very little time on anything but my MM210 transformer machine, but after playing with Ron's 350P, you definitely want a machine with pulse. And even though I have a red tig machine (local deal), I would go all blue, all the time.
I have never played with pulse and in my head I'm saying if I've lived without it this long...but the more folks I talk to that have run it, the more I want it.

Current plan is to go to the LWS monday and see what they can do on pricing to get a 255 machine packaged with a 30A spoolgun. If they can't work with me then Bakers already has that package listed on their website and I'll buy it online.

The dual cylinder cart is available by itself and they want $945 for the damn thing. I have a cart already that it can live on until I build a nice cart with spots for both guns. It just doesn't seem like a 1/4 of the cost of the machine should be getting wheels on it

That will leave me the 210 for portable work, and I will have to decide about the 216 but I will probably hang on to it for the time being.
Old 07-08-2023, 11:57 AM
Grumpy Bastard

I asked Miller guys once why their running gear and accessories are so much
$$$. They said 2 reasons, one we do not make them a local fab shop does and
we mark them up from there. Also if they sell 1 set for every 20 machines that
is a lot. Most welders and fabshop both large and small make their own carts
to fit their exact needs.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 07-08-2023, 01:59 PM
Do I have a life?

MM255 "open box" on debay LINK

For reference from IOC LINK They used to be the best deal--I've bought one or two welders from them before.

Here is their listing for a 30A LINK There is also a "pro" version for more $ I think is unnecessary.

There are used units out there too. LINK I think you should "hold your horses" and wait until an industrial auction comes to town. And be sure to scout your local CL and FBM ads. I'm amazed at the price increase in the past 10 years!

$1900 "red" package with spoolgun LINK

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
HF 80 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 07-08-2023, 10:17 PM
Made From Scratch

My last day off was Easter this year. I'm working 7 days a week juggling everything and have projects piling up in the shop that this purchase will help with. That open box deal is less than $200 off of bakers or cyberweld for the 255, just not worth the risk of a problem to me. I will just be the sucker that buys new and will hopefully buy it from my local supply house where they know me and will try to help me out if I need it.

I had no idea they made a welder that size with a century badge but I would have to do a deep dive to research the differences between it and the real lincoln to even consider it.

I should probably try to save my money but I just want to get a machine set up and get some work done at this point.
Old 07-10-2023, 07:19 PM
I can dig it

I have a magnum 250 xl and it’s connected to a PM255 I bought likely 15 years ago. No issues with either of them except rusty wire taking out a gun liner while still in Onterrible.

Can’t say how it compares to Miller as I’ve never used one of theirs to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2023, 07:35 PM
Made From Scratch

I'm a bit apprehensive about switching because I love the arc on my lincolns. The only miller I ever used is when I was helping manage a sod farm and was basically their mechanic. They had an older miller 200 something or other in the shop they bought used. I used it a lot and it just didn't dig in like I'm used to. I eventually learned to prep joints a bit more open and got along with it but I do prefer my lincoln to it.

The 255 has inductance and some other settings where I might be able to make it feel like home.

At any rate, today I ordered a 255, and a 30A spoolgun from cyberweld, so I will be figuring it out before long.

My LWS didn't have anything in stock so they had me come in to the office and show them what I wanted on the Miller website. They took those part numbers and pulled up stuff in their own system and the price was going to be about $500 more than cyberweld. I showed him the cyberweld page with the prices and showed him that they were also throwing in a free autodark helmet. I asked them if they could get a little closer, told them I know they had trouble competing with an online store and that I'd like to do business with them if I could. He said he'd call a manager and then call me back.

I got the call today and the answer was that I had to give them an official quote from another company for them to even consider lowering the price.

I said, so you want me to call cyberweld and ask them to email me an official quote stating that the price on the website is in fact the price?
-yeah...that's the policy but I agree that's kind of a dumb way to go

So that I can buy the welder from you instead?
-yeah...

Don't you think I'll have better luck just ordering from them instead of getting them to jump through your hoops?
-kinda looks that way.

How about I order the welder from them and I continue coming here when I need wire and gas?
-that seems like an excellent idea

So now I wait
Old 07-11-2023, 09:31 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Wow, but I am not surprised...

Those old Miller 200 were anemic machines.

I bet you like the MM255 a lot. The pulsed spray is awesome.

Old 07-16-2023, 10:47 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
So now I wait
Well, I am impatient...

Old 07-21-2023, 01:17 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
I'm a bit apprehensive about switching because I love the arc on my lincolns. The only miller I ever used is when I was helping manage a sod farm and was basically their mechanic. They had an older miller 200 something or other in the shop they bought used. I used it a lot and it just didn't dig in like I'm used to. I eventually learned to prep joints a bit more open and got along with it but I do prefer my lincoln to it.

The 255 has inductance and some other settings where I might be able to make it feel like home.

At any rate, today I ordered a 255, and a 30A spoolgun from cyberweld, so I will be figuring it out before long.

My LWS didn't have anything in stock so they had me come in to the office and show them what I wanted on the Miller website. They took those part numbers and pulled up stuff in their own system and the price was going to be about $500 more than cyberweld. I showed him the cyberweld page with the prices and showed him that they were also throwing in a free autodark helmet. I asked them if they could get a little closer, told them I know they had trouble competing with an online store and that I'd like to do business with them if I could. He said he'd call a manager and then call me back.

I got the call today and the answer was that I had to give them an official quote from another company for them to even consider lowering the price.

I said, so you want me to call cyberweld and ask them to email me an official quote stating that the price on the website is in fact the price?
-yeah...that's the policy but I agree that's kind of a dumb way to go

So that I can buy the welder from you instead?
-yeah...

Don't you think I'll have better luck just ordering from them instead of getting them to jump through your hoops?
-kinda looks that way.

How about I order the welder from them and I continue coming here when I need wire and gas?
-that seems like an excellent idea

So now I wait
Excited for you - you're going to love it.
Old 07-21-2023, 02:50 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
Excited for you - you're going to love it.
Someone said the same thing to me about marriage...