Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:

Old 04-21-2023, 03:43 PM

Default Your thoughts on Kennedy tool storage

I have a couple of the small Kennedy boxes that are older- any feedback as far as pros and cons from your experiences would be appreciated. Most of the things i work on are smaller- so i am not sure if the Machinist chest or another storage option would be better.
Old 04-21-2023, 05:49 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

HMMM not sure what you are asking. However, I am of a mind that what works for you works for you and maybe not for me. I have a collection of boxes of all kinds and use what I can get away with in the boxes and drawers.

Scott
Old 04-21-2023, 06:06 PM
I can dig it

I have several Kennedy machinists boxes, for what I use them for they work great. However, unless you have a LOT of small stuff to sort into the drawers, a standard mechanic’s type box may be better suited.

It depends a lot on what you are storing in it, and the space you have.

Another note, I have never bought a new one. They have all been older, used boxes, I can’t justify what they want to charge for new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2023, 06:34 PM
Do I have a life?

I've never had the desire to own a Kennedy box, especially at the prices they get at auction for them. The drawers are just too shallow for most anything I would be putting in them.

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
HF 80 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 04-22-2023, 05:26 AM

I love mine, a middle and standard top box. That being said I also gave $5 a piece for them several years ago at a farm sale !
Old 04-22-2023, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Like everyone has said, they might not be for everyone. I seem to be collecting more of them. But I am collecting more machinist tools the older I get. One of these days I will organize them better.

One down side to the ones I have is three of the smaller ones are the flip top “top” chest type. In order to take advantage of the storage space of the tops, they need so much space above to open the tool box lid. I would like to store them vertically, but seems a waste of space to do so.

A well equipped shop needs many different sized storage needs. If all you have is big deep drawers, they tend to be overfilled and the tool you are looking for is always buried on the bottom. And I would tend to forget I had an certain item, because being buried on the bottom, I would not see it when I open the drawer.

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 04-22-2023, 09:28 AM

Thanks for all of the feedback and advice. I guess i will prob just keep looking for a good deal on a used one- like several mentioned- hard to justify spending a grand on a new one....supposedly their factory is open once a month and they mentioned something about factory seconds sale where it was just cosmetic issues- i might check that out too...
Old 04-22-2023, 10:24 AM
Twice the size--half the man

I've never had the desire to spent that much either. When I was busy collecting machine tools, I discovered the little plastic 'desk organizer boxes' at the Dollar General. You can grab a 2-pack now on Amazon for about $20.

Most all of the new tooling, particularly inserts, came in their own little boxes. They'd get shoved in one drawer, while the used stuff would just get sorted in with similar items in it's own drawer. I keep different sized jewelry bag ziplocs on hand to put tiny screws and other small items in before tossing them in as well.

If I were ever serious about that hobby, or had lots of visitors come into my shop, I might've spent more money on their display. Really though the stuff is made to be used so I did just enough to keep it from disappearing under the next project or rolling off the table.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-22 101858.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	167633  

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 04-22-2023, 02:32 PM

My Dad bought a new top and base back in 1974,hardly used for much other than gunsmiths tools.
Sold them last year to a friend for $150.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kennedy.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	167635   Click image for larger version

Name:	receipt.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	167636  
Old 04-22-2023, 02:50 PM
I can dig it

Just tallied mine last night, I have 4 of the junior type boxes, one with the extra add on under it. And another 4 of the wider versions, with three of those having the two drawer add on under them.

To be fair I think one or two are a different make, but the rest are Kennedys.

The biggest thing is they are still just steel on steel slides, and now and again require a little TLC and lubrication.