Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:

Old 02-01-2023, 05:27 PM
Do I have a life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
Any good?
3 year no hassle warranty...
For the money, that doesn't look too bad. Search "prime weld" here, maybe someone has one. They show a US-made MIG gun, looks like a Tweco. The ground clamp looks decent. The stinger looks low quality. They give you a flowmeter vs a flowgauge which is a plus...

The connector for power is NEMA 6-50 so wire in the matching outlet. I've seen people use an adapter and plug into their dryer or oven outlet which is only 30A. I don't recommend this as the breaker may be easily tripped at higher outputs.

Quote:
Well, my son, a professional welder, welds water tanks for municipalities and can do beautiful welds on these adapters but, with 4 kids, a job and a side business, he doesn't have time anymore. So, I'm hoping to get good enough to weld these safely enough for my customers. If it doesn't work for me, I'll get something more expensive.
Even if he can't weld for you, I would not be ashamed to ask for his help and opinion/advice of your welds and/or technique. You don't want customers coming back with mis-welded parts. You want sufficient HAZ but you also don't want erosion from running too hot.

Quote:
I also just bought 2- 10# spools of Flux Core E71t-1 .045
Maybe I can weld some thicker steel now.
Oh yeah, I'll need a 50 or 60 amp breaker too and some #6 wire for the outlet.
I am not a fan of flux-core unless you are outside or in a production environment and that's what they use. I find there is too narrow of a "sweet spot" to get acceptable results but once you dial it in, it should be OK for you. E71 is expensive and I wonder if you should return a spool and get some 70S...

I'm confused: have you bought the Prime Weld yet?

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
HF 80 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 02-01-2023, 05:44 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
" So I settled on a PrimeWeld MIG285. It not only does MIG but stick and TIG too. They have a 3 yr warranty and customer support in the US."

Looks like in post #7 that he got it.

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E
Old 02-01-2023, 07:06 PM
Made From Scratch

If you want to weld a steady diet of half inch steel with a mig I would definitely stick with .045 dual shield wire unless you have a very high amp machine.

My lincoln PM 216 will run half inch steel pretty well with the dual shield, but with .035 70s-6 it requires multiple passes. It will not run solid wire in larger sizes.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
For the money, that doesn't look too bad. Search "prime weld" here, maybe someone has one. They show a US-made MIG gun, looks like a Tweco. The ground clamp looks decent. The stinger looks low quality. They give you a flowmeter vs a flowgauge which is a plus...

The connector for power is NEMA 6-50 so wire in the matching outlet. I've seen people use an adapter and plug into their dryer or oven outlet which is only 30A. I don't recommend this as the breaker may be easily tripped at higher outputs.

Even if he can't weld for you, I would not be ashamed to ask for his help and opinion/advice of your welds and/or technique. You don't want customers coming back with mis-welded parts. You want sufficient HAZ but you also don't want erosion from running too hot.

I am not a fan of flux-core unless you are outside or in a production environment and that's what they use. I find there is too narrow of a "sweet spot" to get acceptable results but once you dial it in, it should be OK for you. E71 is expensive and I wonder if you should return a spool and get some 70S...

Yes sir, I bought the PrimeWeld MIG285 and some .045 flux core E71t-1. Bought 2-10# spools on Ebay for $68 shipped. At least it was way cheaper that those $20 2# spools of .035 I've been buying at Lowes, Tractor Supply, and Harbor Freight. The welder is supposed to arrive here Friday. The only thing that concerns me at the moment, is they sent it FedEx.

Last edited by Bigfoot; 02-02-2023 at 10:06 AM. Reason: add
Old 02-02-2023, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Yes sir, I bought the PrimeWeld MIG285 and some .045 flux core E71t-1. Bought 2-10# spools on Ebay for $68 shipped. At least it was way cheaper that those $20 2# spools of .035 I've been buying at Lowes, Tractor Supply, and Harbor Freight. The welder is supposed to arrive here Friday. The only thing that concerns me at the moment, is they sent it FedEx.

We will look forward to an review of the welder once you get it in and used it for a while.

As far as consumables go, I have sometimes found that at the big box stores, Amazon, etc, they are not always as cheap as you can find at your local welding supply store. You will have to shop around and compare prices, if that is your main concern. But they are open longer hours, which works for me in my home hobby shop away from work. Otherwise, my normal work hours are the same as the local welding supply store, which is 45 miles away a couple of towns over.

If you can, a smaller locally owned welding supply store is better usually than a national welding store like Airgas, IMO, if you have the option. The bigger stores mostly try to cater to the bean counters , big high volume customers and investors vs trying to be helpful to the small customer walking in the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 02-02-2023, 10:35 AM

Default grapples

I'm a little excited about this because I have a 4x8 plasma table and plan to set it up, initially, to cut the parts for modifying attachments and loaders. Many of my customers have older tractors which don't have the universal quick attach which virtually all new loader implements have. I can install these modifications to the older loaders enabling the customer to hook up to anything. Then some customers want to convert their older attachments, like buckets, as well. This can be done by welding on a pre-fabricated adapter plate.

Then, when I get all this set up, I intend to begin making prototypes of tractor attachments of my own design using the CAD programs I already use in my sign business and in designing CNC machines.
https://www.facebook.com/Think3D-CNC-451568945003095

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...6800&sk=photos

Last edited by Bigfoot; 02-02-2023 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:37 AM

Oh yes, this is the newest enterprise...
I install third function hydraulics too.

https://www.facebook.com/bigfoottracs
Old 02-02-2023, 11:30 AM
Twice the size--half the man

Quote:
*Not trying to sell. Do NOT ask to buy from me.

Haha, well now I've done it. I should clarify for ya. Feel free to take business when asked. Maybe even share the link to your FB or website in your signature. You seem to be an individual, rather than some type of conglomerate just looking to offload your stuff without any participation in our discussions.

The main thing I do around here is check the membership requests and monitor posts for spammers and scammers. When a new registration comes along, there is always a risk that they have found our little hideout and based on a couple keywords think it fits their business 'market'. They then go through and make a post, or multiples, in old threads that are solely linking to a product they sell. There are also new registrations who come along solely to pirate/steal our content, and in some cases designs that were offered freely by the original member. It's a tough gig to guess which type of fella to let in the door based on the limited amount of information we request when you join.

We really do like to help here, and we like to see what each other is making. I certainly hope to be able to watch you build or modify the products you sell. We all have to fund our passions somehow.

I have seen those Primeweld machines before and always have thought the specs look great for those of us who are operating on a tight budget. They seem to offer lots of options to the end user. My biggest fear about them is that they're decent at doing a lot of things but may give up performance on specific things to achieve that. I have not had much reason to weld 1/2" steel, but I expect that multiple passes would be involved to safely accomplish it with even the best machines. I am excited to hear and see your results once you get it set up and running.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 02-02-2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
Haha, well now I've done it. I should clarify for ya. Feel free to take business when asked. Maybe even share the link to your FB or website in your signature. You seem to be an individual, rather than some type of conglomerate just looking to offload your stuff without any participation in our discussions.

The main thing I do around here is check the membership requests and monitor posts for spammers and scammers. When a new registration comes along, there is always a risk that they have found our little hideout and based on a couple keywords think it fits their business 'market'. They then go through and make a post, or multiples, in old threads that are solely linking to a product they sell. There are also new registrations who come along solely to pirate/steal our content, and in some cases designs that were offered freely by the original member. It's a tough gig to guess which type of fella to let in the door based on the limited amount of information we request when you join.

We really do like to help here, and we like to see what each other is making. I certainly hope to be able to watch you build or modify the products you sell. We all have to fund our passions somehow.

I have seen those Primeweld machines before and always have thought the specs look great for those of us who are operating on a tight budget. They seem to offer lots of options to the end user. My biggest fear about them is that they're decent at doing a lot of things but may give up performance on specific things to achieve that. I have not had much reason to weld 1/2" steel, but I expect that multiple passes would be involved to safely accomplish it with even the best machines. I am excited to hear and see your results once you get it set up and running.
Well, thank you sir. in that case, I'll just delete that last sentence. Times are tough and I could use all the business I can get. Signs, CNC work, attachments, first born child, I'll sell anything for a buck right now lol. I raise sheep too; want to buy some? The prices of feed and hay have skyrocketed along with everything else so, I'm about ready to sell the whole herd. https://www.facebook.com/millstonefarm85/
Old 02-02-2023, 12:24 PM
Administrator

I would not worry about deleting anything. As long as you continue to participate in our forums and maybe come around more often, and not just when you need help. Participation in helping other out when they need it counts for a lot.

Looking over your site a bit, it looks like you might be about to help others here with some of your experience.

As for me, I work in a hydraulic repair shop as a machinist making parts as needed to repair cylinders mostly. But in my home shop I do welding and fabrication for a few select customers. But I am starting to work with 3-d printers, so am learning CNC in that aspect. Someday I have it in my brain that I will build my own CNC plasma table, mainly just to say I did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden