Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:

Old 11-03-2019, 07:50 PM
Boiler God

Don’t know, I buy nothing based on warranty policy, in almost 50 years, I’ve warrantied probably tools on less than 5-6 occasions. I’ve broken plenty of tools, I just don’t warranty them, if I break something it’s because I either abused it or modified it to do what I needed done, not what I consider warranty issues.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:14 PM
Gold Star Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
... if I break something it’s because I either abused it or modified it to do what I needed done...
That's what I say about the girls I've known. I was never worried about a warranty.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:35 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
That's what I say about the girls I've known. I was never worried about a warranty.
But then neither you nor I have probably never dated a girl who couldn't have kicked our asses if she had needed to.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 11-03-2019, 09:39 PM

Getting older it seems My warranty is getting shorter.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:28 PM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcostello View Post
Getting older it seems My warranty is getting shorter.
When the time comes, Box it up and return to Manufacture for full warranty review and replacement.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:54 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
I’ve been using the Icon wrenches and sockets for about a month or two, they are a big improvement over the regular Harbor Freight wrenches and sockets.
Jack, not saying they aren't an improvement! But what little improvement there is does not warrant the high price... IMO.

When I needed a thinner wall socket I just turned down the original pro series sockets to thin the walls and have no issues with breakage.

There are a lot of tools at HF that could use improvement. but those improvements don't warrant the price hike due to the lack of QC

A better blow mold case? not so much of an improvement it all they have to done is do a better job of chroming or stamping as the socket material remains the same just slightly thinner.

But the comparison to SP-ON and or other name brand tools... HF hand tools are the best buy for the buck hands down and still a fair quality tool... they are not junk by any means.
I buy a lot from HF in the way of hand tools and only once in a while would i be disapointed
I Ride For Christ
M.L.L.H.& R.
Support Your Local MC.
Loud Pipes Save Lives

Peace Out!
Old 11-07-2019, 05:15 PM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Jack, not saying they aren't an improvement! But what little improvement there is does not warrant the high price... IMO.

Compared to other options out there, the Icon pricing is not that high, sure they cost more than other HF offering, but they are a lot better quality wise, IMO, the pricing is reflective of the quality. If you find Harbor Freight’s pricing too high, that’s a scary thought.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:24 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
If you find Harbor Freight’s pricing too high, that’s a scary thought.

Here is what I said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
But the comparison to SP-ON and or other name brand tools... HF hand tools are the best buy for the buck hands down and still a fair quality tool... they are not junk by any means.
I buy a lot from HF in the way of hand tools and only once in a while would i be disapointed
I Ride For Christ
M.L.L.H.& R.
Support Your Local MC.
Loud Pipes Save Lives

Peace Out!
Old 11-29-2019, 06:14 PM

Default If you want to go for low price ,I recommend Husky.

I have pretty good luck with the Home Center brands and Duralast. I used to work for AutoZone and GreatNeck stuff would get returned broken often.Great Neck has a great chrome finish though. Duralast is the most expensive locally stocked tool but I have abused them and they seem like high quality.Their combination wrenches are about 1 inch longer than other cheapies. The chrome on duralast looks to be very thin. Husky at Home Depot is by far the cheapest and I have good results with them as well. You have to inspect them tool by tool because some times Husky looks like they left out a plating step and there is just nickel on them or if they are a bit holder the bit is crooked.Old school craftsman looks really good and used to be great for the price but I think that the makers are exploiting the old reputation and selling sub par stuff at a high price. I used Kobalt ratchets(1/2 the price of craftsman) at work and they have been holding up fine. A lot of times at HF on the clearance rack I see hand tool kits with a few pieces broken.

Edit: Oh I forgot, supposedly KD is making everyones mid range tools like GearWrench ,Tekton etcetera.

Last edited by KBS; 11-29-2019 at 06:22 PM.