Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:

Old 09-25-2016, 10:39 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Default Review of Eastman brake flaring tool

When I converted the trailer recently to hydraulic disk brakes, I had a bastard of a time to stop leaks on the brake lines. I used a Lisle double flaring tool, and when I converted my trailer a few years back I had 4 leaks to deal with out of 20+ flares and I thought it was just me doing something wrong.
This time was way worse.
I had heard of the Sealey turret tool and thought it was much more foolproof.
So after the smoke and flames diminished, and after I got the trailer on the road, I decided that I probably will never do another one, but I want a good flare tool anyway.
I got snooping around and see Eastman has the same re-badged tool regular $249, on sale for $199US, so I ordered it. With shipping and other charges it landed for $300CDN in my yard.

It is very, very good, and would have saved me a ton of time that I had to write off, fucking about with that Lisle POS. I wasted no time at all throwing the whole Lisle kit in the scrap bin.
This tool works right first time, and every time. The purchase also came with a 20% off ticket for my next purchase.
They supply a turret for 37 degree hydraulic and gas fittings as well, and I was so happy about this tool, that I wanted to spend more money to save 20% so I clicked off to the Eastman site to buy the extra turret.

It appears Eastman was over the moon about selling tools to a Canuck so they dropped their sale price of $199 further down to $179.....or else they are laughing at me....

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it. Joe Concha
Old 09-25-2016, 12:19 PM
Blast this!

Ok now that you like Eastwood ,give the brake line bending pliers a try. I love mine and no longer use a bender.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:19 PM
Boiler God

I did one of the cars a while back, and used the DOT approved Swedge-Lok (?) forge steel compression fittings, no flaring involved.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:39 AM
Elite Member

Did you look at hydraulic sets like the mastercool? Seems like the main difference is that the turret set requires a vise, but it would create the flare with a singe swing of the lever, where the hydraulic requires a number of pumps, and they are more expensive.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:21 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Well, my 'cheap virus' infection flared up at the 200 buck expenditure as it was.
I really don't want to be making brake lines anyway, but sooner or later I will have to, and my old tool sure won't cut it. Also the old POS won't do bubble flares, and that seems real dear to the heart of car manufacturers these days.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it. Joe Concha
Old 09-28-2016, 11:29 PM
Elite Member

I never knew something like that existed, and now I think I need one. You suck