Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:

Old 07-19-2014, 03:07 PM

Default Need starter solenoid advice

I have a modified tractor with 3 460 Ford engines in line hooked crank to crank. There are two starters on the center engine that crank everything over. This has worked for years starting on 24v. For the last few years or so, the solenoids have started sticking and welding themselves together. I have tried solenoids from Ford, cheap solenoids from Canadian Tire, 24v solenoids from John Deer and 36v golf cart solenoids. All work about 2x and then stick. I put new starters on and although it cranked over a lot faster the newly installed solenoids stuck again. Currant (pun intended) set up is 2 1000CCA batteries in series-0000 welding cable to a welding connector to 1 solenoid-00 jumper cable to second solenoid and then from the two solenoids to the starters. I need an idea for a skookum solenoid that can handle the amperage. One thought is to run 2 solenoids per starter. Starters and current solenoids are stock Ford stuff.

Harold
Old 07-19-2014, 03:25 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bountyhunter View Post
I have a modified tractor with 3 460 Ford engines in line...
Oh Gawd! Not another one of those evil tractor pullers. We used to be in the game once upon a time--knew quite a few of the Alberta pullers--Gord Whalley, Terry Graham come to mind; there were lots of others but it was a long time ago and the mind is getting feeble. What do you call your rig?

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 07-19-2014, 03:34 PM

That is where my user name came from bountyhunter. It was Bad Habit at one time and after this it may go back to that. At least Bad Habit started
Old 07-19-2014, 04:12 PM
there has to be an answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bountyhunter View Post
This has worked for years starting on 24v. For the last few years or so, the solenoids have started sticking and welding themselves together.
What changed?

My first thought, and I'm not an expert, is grounds and connections on both the 12v circuit and 24volt side.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:21 PM
7-26-1965 to 6-5-2022

Maybe this might be what you are looking for.

http://www.texasindustrialelectric.c...ys_1119865.asp

Check around on the net for 1119865 for better prices.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:28 PM
Post Fiend

Bills on the right track, something changed and is causing the problem. The cat solenoid will be better but I bet until the issue is resolved it will go tits up pretty quick as well.

Sent from my ipotato
Old 07-19-2014, 08:58 PM
Post Fiend

BH is the truck a 12 volt, 24 volt system or do you just run off the batteries?

Sent from my iPhone using SFT
Old 07-19-2014, 10:40 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RancherBill View Post
What changed?

My first thought, and I'm not an expert, is grounds and connections on both the 12v circuit and 24volt side.
In my experience, it is low voltage that causes sticking. (also locks starters in)As the cranking begins, and if you have a bad ground cable for example, the pull on the contacts weakens, and it wants to let go, and that causes welding.

Put an amp clamp on it and watch what happens, if amps and volt drop real quick, you have a high resistance connection, or bad batteries.

Or, cheap/quickfix, put a separate battery to run the solenoids only and see what happens.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it. Joe Concha
Old 07-19-2014, 10:49 PM
Elite Member

If I remember right the starter on a 460 was a Delco. If you are using two starters to start three engines and the amperage is frying the the solenoids, why not put the third starter on and run separate 12v on each? Even three stock engines on two starters would be a load. I remember that a stuck air injection pump for the smog on a 460 would take out a starter.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 07-19-2014, 11:21 PM

You folks are asking what changed and the only thing that I can come up with is that I went from starter batteries on a cart to on board batteries. The starter batteries run only the starters. There is a third battery that runs the fuel pumps, ign and the switch that engages the solenoids. When the batteries were on a cart, I don't ever remember the solenoids sticking. I also charge the batteries and clean the terminals before every pull. I tested them and they test out good. I run a ground wire 000 welding cable and it is direct from the batteries to the block that has the starters. I could reroute the cable to connect directly to the starter case and see what happens. I should run a voltmeter directly at the starter to see just what the voltage is but that will be a bit as I still have it apart after breaking a coupler at Drayton Valley. The couplers are a whole nother thread. I keep telling my son that the only way to fix this is to go 4 engines and only start 2 at a time. Oh well. Interesting thing is, when we were running a double instead of a triple, I only had 1 battery and 1 starter and never a problem. At least from what I remember from 30 yrs ago. I have been in this racket a long time. This triple set up has been for over 25 years