Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:

Old 03-31-2005, 09:29 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Moe, there is maybe a 1/8th inch gap & that might be enough for a start.
Now if I just had a real press.....

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 03-31-2005, 09:44 AM
Voice of Experience

Cutter, I just thought of something else. If the jaws are loose like most old vise jaws, you could take a saws all and cut through the screws holding one or both jaws. If you could get that much clearance and into a 20 ton press that sucker would holler uncle.

On the other hand I have really enjoyed the vise thread. That would end it prematurely..

Last edited by madam X; 02-28-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: remove hacker link
Old 04-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to storts
Default Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickairmedic
Scott I dont have any probs here with DSL and wonderfull MSN IE can even see martha in all her glory

Rick
Martha sure looks good, I wonder if our former gov. who started his first day in the pokie, yesterday,,hes a he, wonder if he will come back looking like martha, she looked like a guy when she went in,,ahhh Its a wonderful thing ,Jack
Old 04-02-2005, 01:03 PM
Troadster

Sorry I have not read all the way through the other thread. But I have an idea that I don't know will work or not. With stuck pistons we all ways used break fluid. I know it would take a lot on the vice, but with a piston just drop then in a can, around once a day pick them up and start moving them back and forth and in about a week or so they will free up. I don't know if this will work for you or not.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:23 PM
One Wonderful Lady!

Quote:
Originally Posted by storts
Martha sure looks good, I wonder if our former gov. who started his first day in the pokie, yesterday,,hes a he, wonder if he will come back looking like martha, she looked like a guy when she went in,,ahhh Its a wonderful thing ,Jack
Hi Jack, did you even make to the vise thread or did you stop at Martha's picture? As much as you liked the New Shop story, you should love the old Vise Thread. Cutter's Vise < you can just click that link!

Rated M for MAGA

Last edited by madam X; 04-02-2005 at 10:25 PM. Reason: because I can
Old 07-31-2005, 04:07 PM
SFT Brewmaster

just to twist cutter's tail alittle ....is it still a soaking beauty or have you come to terms and planned your next assult

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it
---------------------------------------------------
Old 07-31-2005, 04:50 PM
Mender of the Yellow Iron

Location: Belton South Carolina Home of the Standpipe Festival
Default Is it open yet

I know it ain't the money but if you count what you have spent so far in secrect fomulas and spare parts like I beam bolts broken stuff. What ya got tied up in this stuck vice Cutter? Now you noticed I didn't count your time invested cause this seams to be a challenge and not a chore
Old 07-31-2005, 09:30 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

You know Clay, I have been worrying about that old vise - just a little.
She's still in the Zep can where I left her last fall. I am waiting on 2 or 3 things, mainly for my derned kid to return my engine hoist so I can use it to lift that Wilton up over the can and leave it dripping at least overnight. I could do it manually - the lifting part - but I don't want to. And I don't want to screw around with it or drag it around until it finishes dripping either.

Wrench, I really don't have over $25 in it so far. That's been one of the rules of engagement. I had to buy the diesel and pay $10 for a new jack after I broke the little one. Had to buy a couple of grade 5 bolts. The original box of superwashing soda was a gift from a buddy who ordered a case of it. Everything else I have used was already taking up space or doing something else.

I've just been too busy with other things and screwing off too much time watching this site & waiting for whatever you guys are are gonna be up to next. This weekend has been yardwork & SFT.

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 08-01-2005, 06:57 AM

Talking For what its worth........

Your vice project looks great. It like restoring old cars, a labor of love.

Your welding table is real kool. I esp like thr folding cutting ext. One question.... Would the struts work better if you put the male end on top to keep the BB's from getting into the slide area?????

Your saw progect looks great.

I almost didn't check out the Martha side on your site as I am not one of her fans. I have always had a very loooooow opinion of her. If she looks that goooood after only 5 months think what she would look like after 5 years.

Frank
Old 08-05-2005, 01:44 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Default the vise - wakeup call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank
Your vice project looks great. It like restoring old cars, a labor of love.

Your welding table is real kool. I esp like thr folding cutting ext. One question.... Would the struts work better if you put the male end on top to keep the BB's from getting into the slide area?????

Frank
Frank,

Sorry, I just now noticed that your post had a question in it, and I didn't mean to diss the reply anyhow.
I really hadn't thought much about which way the struts should go; it hasn't been a problem because I haven't been using the grate anyway - just busy with other things lately. I use the table for nearly everything, though. One of the handiest things I have ever owned.

Ah, the vise .... I think Kristofferson said it best:

"Never knowing if believing is a blessing or a curse.
or if the going up is worth the coming down."

But I do have plans for the next attempt; it will probably be slower in the execution because I have to try to fab up something stronger and with less slack to try to hold the danged old vise in place while I put the squash on it. The chain approach left way too much slop and shifting for the jack to be able to do its job. And of course, the bolts couldn't handle the force.

So, I took a look at the monster today; the old Zep can has been seeping a little bit of diesel & there is a little spreading darkness in the concrete around it. I can't continue to leave it sitting there any longer for fear the can will rupture & then I will have a nasty mess to clean up. I pumped the diesel out into a plastic gas can then wrestled can, vise and all over to an old plywood cabinet door placed under my hoist. When I removed the lid, the old Wilton still looked surly and unrepentent. I began raising it out of its cell.

Ooooh, see how angry it looks? I tell you - the damned thing looks bigger than ever, or I had forgotten just how massive it is. 105 pounds of bad attitude.
For the meanwhile, I want it to hang there & drip-dry for a couple of days just so it won't be so nasty to work with. Then I will try to begin devising a way to secure it to the same beam I used last year, with some modifications.

Maybe some of you have some new suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 wakeuptime.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	154063   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 wakeuptime2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	154064  

Just Keep Walking