Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:

Old 01-20-2016, 02:49 PM

Default The gift that keeps on giving

Read this entire story last night. After building my first work bench, I had memories of my dads vise and thought Id go to pick up a nice quality vise. Little did I know the quality is no longer there by a long shot. After much ranting and raving to family, checking craigslist, checking ebay, somehow I ended up here and viewing this story. Its not a story just about a vise, its more about old American pride and craftsmanship in everything they made. The funny part is I was at lowes looking for a vise, and their display model was broken, all the meanwhile Cutters vise, burried in the dirt, breaking jacks & bolts, rusted shut, left in diesel, pounded with a sledge hammer is up and running like a champ.

It may have taken 2 years but this is one of the best man threads on the entire internet. Its value is completely unappreciated. This coming from a younger developer/designer who has been on the internet since 1996. Ive read a lot of threads in my days but this is up there as one of the best posts of all times.

When I first read this, I believe I was at the prologue site and couldn't find part 2 for a good 30 minutes. The suspense of what happened was killing me but I kept searching and ended finishing the story here.

That vise is priceless, no dollar value can ever nor ever should be placed on that thing. When you pass on, please give it to someone who understands the meaning.

After 3 years this thread will be bumped from a story that began in 2004. This was my first post here, hopefully I dont get banned for bumping this old thread.

Thanks for the amazing story and your hard work. Now back to my search for a vise, I refuse to put a non America made vise on my hand made workbench. REFUSE.

Cutters Vise 1945 - 2016+.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:53 PM
Gold Star Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manis View Post
... "Its not a story just about a vise, its more about old American" ... Curmudgeon who don't give up.
Quote:
... This was my first post here, hopefully I dont get banned for bumping this old thread.
About the only way you'd get banned here is to vote for Obama a third time or get potty-mouthed with Madam-X. And it's wise to put overly salty language in the "biker banking" thread. And do not link photos - upload them outright.

Good luck with the vise search. I have one old Chas. Parker vise in need of a little TLC, and a newer Wilton tradesman type. Still have to pick up a 4" Wilton bullet type machinist vise from a guy who bought it for me. And never did mount my nice blacksmith post vise I got about 25 years ago. Bro-in-law gave me a nice old 60's style Wilton Shop King bench vise, missing the swivel base. I have a couple big Chinese vises from back when they were better made.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:54 PM
Post Fiend

Come on in Manis. You'll fit right in here.

Now where's the build thread on this bench?

Sent from my ipotato
Old 01-20-2016, 04:39 PM

4-13-1949 to 5-21-2023
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
Come on in Manis. You'll fit right in here.

Now where's the build thread on this bench?

Sent from my ipotato
Just what I was wondering too.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated
Old 01-20-2016, 08:26 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

I have seen and touched Cutters vise!!
The vise thread is what brought me here,SFT.
Great story,a great vise,and owned by a great American!
Old 01-20-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randydupree View Post
I have seen and touched Cutters vise!!
The vise thread is what brought me here,SFT.
Great story,a great vise,and owned by a great American!
Hey that sounds kind of rude.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:49 AM
Twice the size--half the man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
Hey that sounds kind of rude.
Nah, he doesn't mind it a bit--you don't even have to ask before groping.

The thing with this old vise is that it still gets used ALL the time. It's a neat story, and I'd agree a piece of history in any shop forum. Welcome aboard Manis, and never worry about bumping an old thread around here. Some of our greatest treasures surface from time to time this way, and we all enjoy going back through them. Sometimes folks find one that got overlooked by the herd that shows up in between times. Good knowledge lives forever.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 01-22-2016, 05:21 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manis View Post

It may have taken 2 years but this is one of the best man threads on the entire internet. Its value is completely unappreciated. This coming from a younger developer/designer who has been on the internet since 1996. Ive read a lot of threads in my days but this is up there as one of the best posts of all times.

That vise is priceless, no dollar value can ever nor ever should be placed on that thing. When you pass on, please give it to someone who understands the meaning.

Cutters Vise 1945 - 2016+.
lol Thank you, Manis. I had been waiting to see if you came back around to see who might have replied what to you but I'll just hope that you do reappear some day.

What a treat to read such a nice review of our thread, and this really was our community project. Without the enthusiasm & encouragement of so many people I might not have carried through with it and I know I wouldn't have had 1/10th as much fun doing it.

However, you haven't heard the rest of the story, the Great Wilton Vise Contest of 2012 and that was another huge group adventure.

By the way gang, I discovered that someone has managed to redirect most of the links we posted for the actual contest "vote here" pages to some sort of bogus "virus warning" that completely takes over your computer, refuses to let you stop the annoying as hell audio or close the page/tab. It does not respond to AltF4, you can't click the "X" & it just goes on and on, trying to get you to call a phone number for advice, which I feel sure would involve your credit card, computer password, etc. The links were not hacked here but evidently the bastard found some way to take possession of them once you hit the internet. I have no idea how that works.
So I spent about three hours reading the thread - all 750 posts - and I think I edited all of those links. I hope I did.
For the most part I substituted THIS one or THIS one so that Wilton would still get the little bit of advertising that we can provide.

If I missed anything be sure to let me know, that is if you get your computer back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	poster1.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	128774  

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 01-23-2016, 01:24 PM

Default ... more

Thanks for the replies everyone. To answer a few replies. Id be embarrassed to upload my workbench. Its just a simple 24" x 48" bench with a top (oak plywood nice grade no gaps) and shelf on the bottom. I originally created it because I needed some place to hand make knifes, apparently doing this on the kitchen table is frowned upon by the mises. Something about sparks and curtains It may not be the biggest bench, nor the most complex, but its level and built like an ox. I couldn't take that thing apart if I tried. I also had a very tight budget and the total came to $55.05 including screws & wood glue, this was cheaper than any of the big box stores. I used an old circular saw from my grandfather, an old skil drill which I actually love due to it being my first tool purchased around 10+ years ago, I believe its actually usa made. I ran it over with a car a few times, dropped it, at one point it was smoking, still runs! Like I said ive been on a computer most my life, so to build something was very out of the ordinary, really proud and feel accomplished to see it everyday in the garage.

I just ordered a Wilton small 3 1/2" fire-engine red vise off ebay (hope not a scam )for my bench. I definitely wanted something with some more history but this fit the budget and frankly I actually need a vise asap as the clamps don't work very well when hand filing a knife.

Right now on off to work on my bench and continue my knife project. Using O1 tool steel, making around a 7" bushcraft, survival, camping, utility knife. Learned about Nicholson hand files, was bummed to see they don't make them in USA anymore.

Aside from that Ive gotten really into vises, can't stop looking into images, history, castings, metals used, etc.. Was thinking of actually restoring some of the old ones as I definitely wish I had a better selection.

So its official, they'll be no foreign made vise on this guys bench. Still looking for a better model than what Ive got, Id like one of the older bullet style wiltons or a chas parker. But for now, Im just glad I got a made in the usa wilton.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:43 PM

4-13-1949 to 5-21-2023
Auction Addict

Current vise pics?????

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated