Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:

Old 08-10-2005, 11:00 PM
Something's Fishy ...

Dang Cutter is that what visagra does to you. onward Cutter ever onward Terry
Old 08-10-2005, 11:17 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovepoker
Now c'mon Paychk, I'm not talkin' about acquirin' it, I just want to stress relieve it, you know, bring it back out into the fresh air. Sort of a halfway house for wayward vises. That's what it really needs. Oil, paint, and cuddling will only prolong the agony. Lets go to the next step and we can move on from there. Somebody will need to show up at Cutter's place with a couple of kegs to keep him consoled during this process. The vise will be returned ready to serve its master.
There is something suspiciously familiar in all this, a vague fuzzy wisp of a memory and I can't really get a grip on it. But it seems to have something to do with losing an old girl friend ......... or something like that ......
or it might have been a puppy.

And no Viseagra! We can do better; I want us to be ready for a "step up, to a quality experience - when the moment is right, at a time that I choose". Besides, I've heard that damned Viseagra can make you go blind.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."

Last edited by cutter; 08-10-2005 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:10 AM
Trailers for sale or rent

" Can I just do it until I need glasses?"
Maybe that's the real reason those guys went blind!

Now, back to the business at hand...Wow, I made a funny and didn't even realize it until I typed it!

You might try setting the vise in the dirt, wouldn't want to booger up the new floor, and getting out your trusty 12 or 16# sledge and whaling the pee out of the plug you just made and stuck in the back. A lot of times impact will accomplish what steady pressure won't. That or you can break something. Sometimes that can be satisfying by itself, as long as it ain't you that gets broken.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:26 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

I have never owned a real hydraulic press; I have had very few occasions where I though a press would have been much help to me because I couldn't see how I could have secured the object I want to apply the pressure to in the frame to begin with. I mean, jpill said earlier that I could bring the vise to his shop & we would stick it in the 50 ton press and see what happened; but just how would we "stick it" in there and what would hold it there? So I dunno; looks to me like the only recourse is to try to build a press around the vise. So that's what I have tried to do.

Now the first problem is to make some kind of stops to prevent the entire thing from sliding forward. I did some more shaping on the "Chumly" stops and added the vertical plate to the end of the beam.

When we built my little logsplitter a few years ago, my buddy Trent wanted to weld some heavy brackets to the beam and bolt the axe to the them; he had in mind that it would make the axe easier to remove for sharpening or replacement. I learned a valuable lesson about leverage from that because the force of the ram soon lifted the leading edge of the axe and bent the brackets and the nose of the beam, so we welded the axe down firmly. This presents the opposite problem because I can't weld the inside curves of the stops to the beam on account of the way the base of the vise fits into them. So I decided to try & give myself a little edge by adding a bolt to each stop as near the point of pressure that I could.

And with that done, the front end of the press was pretty much ready to go, as far as I could see. It was time to move to the rear post.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stopsfromtop.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	154340   Click image for larger version

Name:	readybolt.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	154341   Click image for larger version

Name:	frontdone.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	154342  

Just Keep Walking

Last edited by GWIZ; 01-24-2020 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Upload pic to SFT
Old 08-13-2005, 03:50 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

You might recall that I was having problems with bandsaw blades a few nights ago; I dug out one more and lo & behold - look what I found while I was looking :

I knew that danged steel wool was around here somewhere so I was able to clean up the new blade before I installed it. Now normally, I have to tinker some with this little saw before I can get it to cut square after a new band, but for the only time I can remember, it sliced true on the first cut which was good because the first thing I tried was a keeper.

I thought of that as being another good omen. So I then cut an angle brace and lopped off the excess height of the post & welded everything up.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	foundwool.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	154343   Click image for larger version

Name:	postsquare.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	154344   Click image for larger version

Name:	readypost.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	154345  

Just Keep Walking

Last edited by GWIZ; 01-24-2020 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Upload pic to SFT
Old 08-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 7018

Theres only a few things that you could have done a little differant that I can see on the "Chumly" stops you could have beveled the bottom and then welded them.On the rear stop I thin that the brace mit be better if you would have,or add another one starting in the center line of the jack base,As thats where all the preasure will be.........How ever I could be wrong...........
Old 08-13-2005, 04:13 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Default Press finished

I have decided to forget about trying to use chains this time. They are useful for transferring force from the front stops to the rear post - if the bolts hold - but if you recall, that was the problem last year. I got sick of breaking bolts and flying chains. Another problem is that the chain also tends to wrap right up against jack handle & interfere with it's movement. So I am going to try going with this setup just the way you see it here. Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind as soon as I break something else. I think that's what has kept me alive for the last 20 or so years.

And one more angle:

So I reckon I'm about ready to give it a try and see if I can finally whip this old beast; So far, I guess the score reads something like: Vise 36 cutter 0.
I really do think I have a better chance this time; I have tried putting enough pressure on the assembly to test for tilt and skewing; everything seems to hold position pretty well. We'll be able to find out soon enough.

But first things first, you know? I mean you surely wouldn't expect me to put a machine like this to work without painting it first, would you???
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ready2.jpg
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	154346   Click image for larger version

Name:	ready1.jpg
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	154347  

Just Keep Walking

Last edited by GWIZ; 01-24-2020 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Upload pic to SFT
Old 08-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Mender of the Yellow Iron

Location: Belton South Carolina Home of the Standpipe Festival

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter

But first things first, you know? I mean you surely wouldn't expect me to put a machine like this to work without painting it first, would you???
By all means PAINT it I vote for burnt orange no no wait maybe a suttle shade of RUST that would be perfect!
Old 08-13-2005, 06:38 PM

You do know of course the suspense is killing me!
Ken.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:00 PM

Hi Cutter great idea, PAINT IT, if you do it won't break, it will just come right out... Right, I'm like KEN, get on with it THE SUSPENSE is killing me?????!!!!!

If you don't VOTE you don't COUNT!!!