Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:

Old 10-08-2021, 04:36 PM

4-13-1949 to 5-21-2023
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddmannQ View Post
I have to ask how this crane worked out in the end.

I have designed jib cranes in the past and I spent many years working in a structural engineering office cranking out the calculations and drawings.

I have no idea what’s inside that wall to reinforce it, But if this was not passed off by a structural engineer you are really entering a legal black hole.

Hopefully you were not entering a structural one.

But seriously, did you get a permit for this thing?

No disrespect to you or other engineers, but I would trust experience before an engineer or some permit inspector. There is a lot of experience here.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!

B biggest
I idot
D democrats
E ever
N nominated
Old 10-08-2021, 08:01 PM
Elite Member

in reality most permitting is a money grab. I can assure you the city I live in doesn't even have a competent person in the inspections dept for anything other than plumbing.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:32 PM
Elite Member

Well it’s sad to hear. Just like welding or fabrication, engineering is a matter of experience, and guys in our field had to train for five years after they got out of college, before they could take the test to get a license. Even then everything important they did had to be checked by older engineers.

And they were almost always honest, well educated and reasonable people.

But there were cases like the Bakersfield airport job,where a big money was involved, and things got sideways in court.

And there were a few patent nut cases as well. Guys (sometimes dangerous guys,) that had a wild hair up their ass about something, and you could not dissuade them. An idiot like that electrocuted my brother-in-law on a job site because he didn’t know his exhaust port from his intake.

There are a lot of new college educated engineers who have never built anything themselves. Not a dog house or a birdhouse or a simple tool. Fortunately my father was a technical guy but he wasn’t well to do. He taught me how to build an engine, do some basic fabrication, and encouraged me to learn welding. Then he sent me to engineering school.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:22 AM
Urban Gunfighter

I work in an office full of fresh grads. All very intelligent, but none have a clue how to build anything. And OMG, how about some realistic tolerancing based on manufacturing process? Sorry, I know of few, if any weld shops able to gold +/- 0.02", and +/- 0.25 degrees on a weldment. And this got pushed down partly due to a lazy weld robot integrator demanding half a wore width for length tolerance on tubes, not to mention insisting on using .045" wire on .075" wall square tube. And then wondering why there is such a problem with keyholing. SMH...

I say all this as an engineer. Maybe not a normal one, but wow.

Sent from my SM-G986U using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 10-19-2021, 12:25 PM
Blast this!

I like German drawings fit to finish on them all. Specs to meet producible tolerance .
Old 10-21-2021, 08:10 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe1942 View Post
Probably way over kill based on the weight of a large condenser unit. Cranes are built to lift a max weight plus . I'm sure he considered this during planning.

He may never come back after the blistering critique y'all gave him...
To be clear no one including myself criticized the crane. What it is attached to appears questionable.
Are you and your children connected yet?
Old 11-02-2021, 11:12 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
I like German drawings fit to finish on them all. Specs to meet producible tolerance .
Never had to read German, but I worked for Vendo which was bought by Sanden of Japan. I had to take their drawings and make them American Standard drawings.

The symbol for “inside dimension” looks like a woman’s open kimono. The symbol for “outside dimension” was a little guy with a boner.

Tolerances were noted by symbols like a black diamond, that referred to a schedule.

I don’t actually read Kanji so I had Japanese engineers help with the Special translations.
Old 01-10-2024, 09:53 AM

I have not been around for a while. Expanded job responsibilities, longer hours, two new Labrador puppies, another classic truck project and all my time is gone.

Anyway here is an update on boomer. I finally got the custom spreader bar done and have lifted multiple 5 ton HVAC units to the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0825.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	169802  

"Yes, we did produce a near perfect Republic. But will they keep it? Or will they in their enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the surest way to destruction. Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

Thomas Jefferson

If you spent 1 million dollars every day from the time Christ walked the earth until now, you still would not have spent 1 trillion dollars!
Old 01-10-2024, 02:33 PM
Do I have a life?

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear the plan came together. My initial concern was based on that the outward brace going to the perpendicular wall was not clearly visible in the pics. Now that I see the other view it makes better sense.

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
HF 80 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...