Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:

Old 12-10-2023, 11:12 AM
Roving Reporter

Lots of neighbours build stuff from pipe. Some crimp, some cope, some just use scraps of angle iron at the joints to get flat welds.

The angle iron trick works, but IMHO, is ugly.

Crimping Sch 40 2” is hard to do. A 20 T press hardly does it. Guys here abouts take big (5-8” dia) implement cylinders and built 30-50 T presses powered by tractor hydraulics or electric driven power packs to do the crimps. 1” sch 40 will be harder to crimp than 2”.

Incidentally, there are a few Ag applications that use a pulley driven hydraulic power pack that includes the reservoir and control valve. I have one out of a 60 s era Massey combine in the shop.

I’ve seen copes done with jigs and hole saws, templates and torches (plasma and oxy-fuel), angle grinders with zip discs, and freehand torch cut. Carefully done, freehand copes can look surprisingly good after welding. The 5/16” plus wide bead can cover a big gap.

Do not fall into the trap of thinking you need a specific angle. The wall thickness affects the angle required and varies according the schedule. I’ve worked with wall thicknesses from 1/16” to 1/2”. The thicker the wall, the shallower the angle and less of the cross piece of pipe will be covered. There is a reason a good pipe cope template calls out the OD of the cross pipe and the ID of the branch pipe.
Old 12-10-2023, 10:44 PM
Elite Member

I didn't state it and I have posted these photos before. The pipe I was coping was 2" ABS sanitary sewer pipe for the express purpose of showing how to use a chop saw to cope pipe. If you have any ABS or PVC tails floating around, they make perfect candidates for perfecting your cuts before moving on to the steel pipe. After all, round is round.

On a related subject, the difference between a pipe fitter and an iron worker is that a pipe fitter specializes in O-beam and round flange.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 12-11-2023, 04:39 AM
Director of Languages

If you're making firewood racks do you have a log splitter?

it's not crazy if it works
Old 12-11-2023, 09:29 AM
Roving Reporter

Here is a video showing the 2 cut cope method. This method works for chopsaws, grinders with zip discs, torch cuts, and bandsaws. https://youtu.be/8JfVih7buyE?si=dbuY5Ue2e5BqKj8-

The only thing I would note is that the 32 degree angle quoted in the video works for the specific pipe size and wall thickness as posted earlier.

Another hint to get good copes is to tack a scrap of something straight to the opposite end of the stock from the cut end and level the scrap before each cut. This puts the cuts 180 degrees from each other so the cope is not lop sided. ( ask me how I know this one….)

Last edited by camdigger; 12-11-2023 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-11-2023, 11:25 AM
Elite Member

I think crimping works great and looks fine too. I use a 20 ton harbor freight shop press with an air/hydraulic ram. I did 2 1/2 sch 40 with mine without a problem. I'm not sure a 3 ton will do the pipe you're looking to do.
Old 12-17-2023, 09:32 PM

I found a cope pattern maker on blocklayer.com, lined up the weld seam, and marked them with a gold sharpie. Loaded a zip disc in the grinder. A chop saw would be better for this, but the zip disc did ok for the longer sticks. For the short spreaders I think I will use the table mounted portaband.

Thanks for all the advice!! Still think I could rig something on the Hossfeld and I may if I do a bunch of these.
Old 01-08-2024, 10:47 PM
Urban Gunfighter

Definitely late to the game, but you could slightly flatten the ends in a press and weld to the other tubes in a "T" joint. They do this a lot on fence panels made from recycled pipe.

Sent from my SM-G986U using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."