Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:

Old 12-22-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
I think instead of of a bolt mechanism like a bank vault door I would just go old school and put brackets in to bar the door shut. Most shelters have the door open in because they don't want debris stacking against an outward opening door, so you could just shut the door and drop the bars in place(one high and one low). A couple pieces of 2 inch tubing would be more than strong enough I would think, and a young kid probably wouldn't be tall enough or strong enough to bar them-self in.
The Linkage used in Navy Ship Water Tight Doors does not look to difficult to replicate.

Yes, I thought about just doing a couple of drop-in cross bars or barrel bolts to secure the door. BUT I've seen what little kids can do locking themselves in the bathroom, etc. I've got teenagers, but at some point will have grandkids. I've also got a wife with RA (rheumatoid arthritis) who may need to work the lock herself.

Door Bars - have to be lifted in place, but I could easily cut a couple slots in the door face to lift them up should a kid lock themselves in.

Door Bolts - Would be easier to cycle, but harder to defeat with a lock-in.

Vents - I plan to put some covered openings to allow airflow if the occupants were not able to get out on their own.

Escape Hatch - I may leave 5 or 6 blocks with the cores unfilled down low in a corner so a hand sledge and a brick chisel could get you out. I may also make 1 of the vents large enough and bolt together so it could be removed.

Cribbing - I also plan to keep some 4x4 posts pieces etc and a Bottle Jack should the In-Swing Door have debris against it so you could remove the tension and slowly open the door if needed.

But at $3K-$4K on the low wend for a "Vault" Door I'm thinking I can weld up something sturdier for cheaper.
Old 12-22-2023, 06:21 PM
Master Procrastinator

It's hard to plan for what could happen during a tornado. They are totally unpredictable and probably always will be. A healthy fear of storms is fine, but don't go ape shit crazy trying to out plan them.
The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion. --St. Mother Teresa
In life it's important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply letting them be wrong.

Last edited by Tim KS; 12-22-2023 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-23-2023, 09:34 AM
Twice the size--half the man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP_in_STL View Post

Door Bolts - Would be easier to cycle, but harder to defeat with a lock-in.
Something like the stolen design pictured below wouldn't be too difficult to rig up and modify. It would give you the ability to open from inside or out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dual-door-bolt.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	169619  

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 12-29-2023, 09:42 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

I remember when my dad and I were building fallout shelter during the Cuban missile crisis. As a 12 yr old I could see the door was going to be the weak spot.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it. Joe Concha
Old 12-29-2023, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
Something like the stolen design pictured below wouldn't be too difficult to rig up and modify. It would give you the ability to open from inside or out.
That may be the way to go. Big carriage bolt with the domed head for the outside to minimize snags from debris. A normal knob on the inside. The wife should be able to slide the bolt home easier than a Katy bar.

I'm figuring on a heavy angle frame anchored into the wall opening for the door frame. Then for the door face I've got some 3/16 plate I can put some bracing on and then recessed slider bolts in the pics above.