Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:

Old 11-13-2023, 11:41 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetrash View Post
Look at the gin pole pic more closely it folds back over the cab and yes you can swing loads onto the bed.
You would need two winches in order to lay the load into the bed, one winch for the load, the other to lay the poles back into the bed. Working the oilfield back in the late 70's early 80's, we only had one winch and our poles were fixed once stood up.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:56 PM
Administrator

When ever I think of a gin pole on a truck, I remember when neighbors had there house moved in. My neighbor worked for a local concrete guy/ that also had a business of moving houses. He got a used house moved in. They went across the open field from the driveway, and they had to put wood boards down on semi and trailer wheels under the house to stay on top of Sandy soil. They had a truck with gin pole and winch on the bed of the truck in front of semi helping pull it up the hill, all the time moving plywood in front of the wheels.

They had the winch cable running up to the top of the gun pole, then snatch blocked back down to to the bumper, and then to the semi, I think. Anyways, as the semi got a bit of traction, he would pull up and slack the cable, and then when the winch caught up, it would make the gin pole bounce up and down. One time, as the cable was trying to pull straight, the gin pole was lifted up and fell backwards towards the cab of the truck. There was a headache rack on the bed protecting the cab, but the pulley that was chained to the end of the gin pole still hit the cab of the truck and put a heck of a dent in the cab roof.

I think the guy driving the truck shit himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 11-16-2023, 08:33 AM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
When ever I think of a gin pole on a truck, I remember when neighbors had there house moved in. My neighbor worked for a local concrete guy/ that also had a business of moving houses. He got a used house moved in. They went across the open field from the driveway, and they had to put wood boards down on semi and trailer wheels under the house to stay on top of Sandy soil. They had a truck with gin pole and winch on the bed of the truck in front of semi helping pull it up the hill, all the time moving plywood in front of the wheels.

They had the winch cable running up to the top of the gun pole, then snatch blocked back down to to the bumper, and then to the semi, I think. Anyways, as the semi got a bit of traction, he would pull up and slack the cable, and then when the winch caught up, it would make the gin pole bounce up and down. One time, as the cable was trying to pull straight, the gin pole was lifted up and fell backwards towards the cab of the truck. There was a headache rack on the bed protecting the cab, but the pulley that was chained to the end of the gin pole still hit the cab of the truck and put a heck of a dent in the cab roof.

I think the guy driving the truck shit himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Something is wrong with their rigging of the gin poles. Local oilfield pole trucks have heavy aprons at the back of the frames with a pin socket and lugs welded on the poles 4-6' above the deck. When set up, there is a chain from one pole, down around the pin in its socket, and back up to the other pole. This chain keeps the poles from folding forward. This chain is sometimes left off (lazy rig up?). This snubber chain becomes more important as the poles are set at steeper angles. This, incidentally increases the load capacity, but also brings the lift point closer to the back of the deck.

At the crown pulley, there are eyes for load line cables forward to the front of the deck to hold the poles from falling backward.

Most pole trucks locally are also fitted with a roll on the back of the deck so they can also load over the roll when the poles are folded down.

Last edited by camdigger; 11-16-2023 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-23-2023, 05:04 AM
Elite Member

I built a gin pole for my F350. It uses a winch mounted in the front of the bed. I use a combination of that winch and ramps to load Heavy objects by sliding or rolling the load up the ramps. The ramps store under the bed.
Are you and your children connected yet?
Old 11-30-2023, 06:54 PM
trust but verify

The framed gantry setup used to deliver concrete septic tanks is stout and proven for about a century (very old wreckers etc) through WWII (bomb service trucks) to present day.

CAF (formerly Confederate Air Force, changed to "Commemorative" to humor Wakandans) resto showing removal of the gantry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnkBmwuQPIs