Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:

Old 02-14-2023, 02:58 PM

Default Welding Cart Dilemma

After doing no small amount of searching, I purchased this welding cart from Harbor Freight. Only thing is the access door can't open. Would you....

A. Cut that arch next to the gas bottle, weld in 3'' of tubing on each side to raise it and move the welder closer to the bottle.
B. Leave the welder where it is and weld or bolt a piece of 2'' square tubing to the front vertical and move that handle forward 2''
C. Get rid of the handle on that side
D. Find another cart.
E. Build another cart
F Beg for another cart
G Borrow another cart
H Steal another cart
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	167137  
Old 02-14-2023, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Default Welding Cart Dilemma

I always heard that the welder needed to make its own cart, if it did not come with one.

If you remove the handle on that side, will the cart still move easily with other handle or welder handle? Just want something strong and easy to get to move cart, so you do not want to pull on the leads.

I’m thinking easiest mod would be modify the handle.

Other than that, easiest way to mod with tools on hand. I go for convenience and functionality first. Six months later, I wish I had added “looks “ into the job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 02-14-2023, 03:57 PM

I just removed the handle, easy peasy. Seems to roll easy enough on the concrete floor. Those teeny weeny wheels on the front don't roll well outside anyway. Maybe I'll make another cart later. The one I wanted, at Harbor Freight, was about $450. I didn't want to put that much into one right now, plus my administrator would have had a duck fit as well.
Old 02-15-2023, 03:15 AM
Do I have a life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
I always heard that the welder needed to make its own cart, if it did not come with one.
I used to be of this ^^^^ train of thought until I bought this unit on sale Pre-Biden for $30 at HF. It is $45 now with a good deal of assembly req'd. I had to put a scrap of 1/2" ply on the top shelf to raise it past the lip so the door of a Miller MM140 would open. I keep a bag of consumables/goggles, etc. on the middle shelf and a Hobart 250ci plasma on the bottom shelf. I have to remove the plasma to use it but I cut down a contractor bag as a dust cover that fits over the whole setup. I have a 300 C25 tank on a separate tank cart I will hook to the MM140 or use CO2 paintball cans with Hobart adapter (long since discontinued).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	61316_w3.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	167147  

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
HF 80 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 02-15-2023, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
I used to be of this ^^^^ train of thought until I bought this unit on sale Pre-Biden for $30 at HF. It is $45 now with a good deal of assembly req'd. I had to put a scrap of 1/2" ply on the top shelf to raise it past the lip so the door of a Miller MM140 would open. I keep a bag of consumables/goggles, etc. on the middle shelf and a Hobart 250ci plasma on the bottom shelf. I have to remove the plasma to use it but I cut down a contractor bag as a dust cover that fits over the whole setup. I have a 300 C25 tank on a separate tank cart I will hook to the MM140 or use CO2 paintball cans with Hobart adapter (long since discontinued).
Yes, a nice little cart. I have that same exact one under my Lincoln 135, along with a little plasma cutter on the bottom shelf too. Small stuff on the middle shelf and I hang my helmet on the argon bottle on the back. Works great, but this 285 amp was way too big for one unfortunately. A mite too big for this new one really.
Old 02-17-2023, 09:36 AM
Elite Member

I have that same cart. I put a TIG on it so I don’t have to open the side.
(So that’s my suggestion. Buy a TIG welder. )

It was cheap enough. It fit together ok. Otherwise it is structurally wanting, and with the Primeweld 225 and a 125 bottle, it is flexy on an uneven surface.

I don’t have to move it much, but some day it will get reinforcing tubes/braces/gussets. It sure needs something!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A92E3BA5-C188-4CDE-AE08-64CD8137EBAE.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	167169  
Old 02-24-2023, 02:53 PM

Default Argon

Picked up a full bottle of Argon, for this rig, for $250 on Marketplace.