Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-15-2019, 05:56 PM
randydupree's Avatar
randydupree randydupree is offline
Why, Hell Yes!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bainbridge Ga
Posts: 6,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
Are you southern "people" using them to burn trash ?

a "fire ring" around here usually has nature scenes or other things plasma cut
around the perimeter, and they are used at a campground, or a after dark fire
in your back yard during a party, or snuggling with the better half.
Nope,we don't burn trash,we toss it out by the road.

Yes,we have the ornamental fire rings down here to,we have lots of artist.
Thats fine in the back yard.
But the tub you can throw in the truck and take it with you.
Personally,i don't do camp fires,i hate the smoke.

I spent many days standing around a campfire,hunting and fishing and camping,i'm done with all that.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-15-2019, 06:07 PM
digger doug's Avatar
digger doug digger doug is offline
Not to be used as a Flotation Device
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NW Pa
Posts: 11,755
Default

So people that leave the Christmas lights up all year use these ?

Must be all those leetle holes....and when burning off the insulation from house wiring, you get nice blues, green and red flames.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-15-2019, 06:29 PM
astronut's Avatar
astronut astronut is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Down South
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
So people that leave the Christmas lights up all year use these ?

Must be all those leetle holes....and when burning off the insulation from house wiring, you get nice blues, green and red flames.
The scrap and salvage yards in my area will not accept any copper wire if the insulation has been burned off it. The insulation must be stripped and not burnt off. Dont know why thier reason and they never give an answer when asked about it but that is their policies.
__________________
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like, victory!

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-15-2019, 06:36 PM
digger doug's Avatar
digger doug digger doug is offline
Not to be used as a Flotation Device
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NW Pa
Posts: 11,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronut View Post
The scrap and salvage yards in my area will not accept any copper wire if the insulation has been burned off it. The insulation must be stripped and not burnt off. Dont know why thier reason and they never give an answer when asked about it but that is their policies.


The reason ? To stop meth heads from breaking into 2007 housing market crash abandoned homes and stripping the wires out of the walls.

Instead.....Your supposed to use old batteries for the acid to clean off the black smut
on the wire.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-15-2019, 09:17 PM
slip knot slip knot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Texas gulf coast
Posts: 410
Default

Leave it to you Northern people to take something as mundane as a burn barrel and name it a fire ring. But to use said trash fire to romance the fairer sex is pure genius.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-15-2019, 09:50 PM
astronut's Avatar
astronut astronut is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Down South
Posts: 489
Default

Our local scrap and salvage place will not accept copper wire unless it is bright and shiney as new.
__________________
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like, victory!

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-15-2019, 10:14 PM
randydupree's Avatar
randydupree randydupree is offline
Why, Hell Yes!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bainbridge Ga
Posts: 6,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronut View Post
Our local scrap and salvage place will not accept copper wire unless it is bright and shiney as new.
Same thing here,no burned wire.
Heres what i do,instead of burning wires.

www.buybyebluebird.com
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-15-2019, 10:17 PM
randydupree's Avatar
randydupree randydupree is offline
Why, Hell Yes!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bainbridge Ga
Posts: 6,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
So people that leave the Christmas lights up all year use these ?

Must be all those leetle holes....and when burning off the insulation from house wiring, you get nice blues, green and red flames.
No xmas lights at my house.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-16-2019, 07:54 AM
camdigger's Avatar
camdigger camdigger is offline
Roving Reporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central Oilberta
Posts: 3,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by randydupree View Post
Nope,we don't burn trash,we toss it out by the road.

Yes,we have the ornamental fire rings down here to,we have lots of artist.
Thats fine in the back yard.
But the tub you can throw in the truck and take it with you.
Personally,i don't do camp fires,i hate the smoke.

I spent many days standing around a campfire,hunting and fishing and camping,i'm done with all that.
The fire rings with the plasma cut scenes are around up here too, but most plasma table guys want to be paid for their work, so most of us peasants use tire rims or wash tubs.

The wash tubs are easier to put up on legs so they are less likely to set the grass ablaze. Folks up here are pretty skittish about grass fires, etc. and most of our fire side type weather is in the dryer season.
__________________
Design to 0.001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit..
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-16-2019, 07:55 PM
randydupree's Avatar
randydupree randydupree is offline
Why, Hell Yes!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bainbridge Ga
Posts: 6,048
Default

I have seen the tubs mounted on a push lawn mower frame,with legs about 18'' tall.
Its easy to move that way!

For burning wire insulation,we use shopping carts.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.