Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 08-02-2022, 12:15 AM

Default Scooter Axle

Just trying to put together a simple scooter axle and need some feedback so I don't ruin things as usual

Have a new tire with hub, the shaft fits perfectly inside flush. I"m planning on welding a large washer onto the hub / wheel, and connecting the sprocket to the washer with small bolts. (Image attached). The sprocket will drive the wheel but not the shaft.

For the outside attachment points I planned to use loops for the axles to ride in, with a steel bushing. Through that I'd put a bolt to lock the bushing to the shaft.

The motor will drive the sprocket -> tire spins freely on the axle.

Is that a good arrangement?

I'm too drunk to explain well, hopefully it makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220801_204445_HDR copy.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	165374   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220801_204546_HDR.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	165375   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220801_204511_HDR.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	165376   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220801_204404_HDR copy.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	165377   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220801_204404_HDR.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	165378  

Last edited by staybusy; 08-02-2022 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-02-2022, 03:36 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

If you are only going to have one driven wheel per axle then your basic arrangement sounds OK. If you want two driven wheels you're better off to mount them solidly to the axle and have the axle rotate.

Just be aware that when making rotating components that must run concentrically it's almost impossible to weld pieces together and achieve this. I would try very hard to get some pieces machined up to ensure that everything rotates smoothly. Depends a lot on how fast everything is going to be turning...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 08-02-2022, 03:38 AM
SFT Historian

I cant tell if you can remove the bearings before welding
General rule when it comes to bearings and bushings, heat can damage them along with melting the grease or oil out of the bearing.

I don't think that wheel was meant to be motorized at any high speed..... pretty much a manual push cart wheel with low precision bearings.

other than the bearings I would consider doubling up the washer, have no idea what torque or speed a washer will handle.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:07 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Bearings are easily removable on this wheel. This looks like those little chinese scooters and tires are the big problem with them.
What you have looks like the Princess tires for wagons and hand carts. You can get the airless tires from them same size tire and bearings, but you never have to add air.
I would assume you have some tubes for spacers or collars to keep the tire and sprocket from wandering side to side.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.
“The word ‘racism’ is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything — and demanding evidence makes you a ‘racist’.”
Thomas Sowell
Old 08-02-2022, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
If you are only going to have one driven wheel per axle then your basic arrangement sounds OK. If you want two driven wheels you're better off to mount them solidly to the axle and have the axle rotate.

Just be aware that when making rotating components that must run concentrically it's almost impossible to weld pieces together and achieve this. I would try very hard to get some pieces machined up to ensure that everything rotates smoothly. Depends a lot on how fast everything is going to be turning...
I'm using a 400w electric lawnmower DC motor (brushed). It will have a variable speed throttle. I'd imagine it will deliver a slow but decent cruising speed. The original motor on it was 150w.

Getting everything aligned might be an issue for sure. The washer fits almost perfectly on the hub so I should be able to align it nicely. Welding is probably the way I'll screw it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
I cant tell if you can remove the bearings before welding
General rule when it comes to bearings and bushings, heat can damage them along with melting the grease or oil out of the bearing.

I don't think that wheel was meant to be motorized at any high speed..... pretty much a manual push cart wheel with low precision bearings.

other than the bearings I would consider doubling up the washer, have no idea what torque or speed a washer will handle.
Yea if the welding heat penetrates into the bearing it's definitely not good. I didn't think the bearings could be removed so I figured I'd try to slowly tack weld it (tack, let it cool, tack, all the way around the washer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Bearings are easily removable on this wheel. This looks like those little chinese scooters and tires are the big problem with them.
What you have looks like the Princess tires for wagons and hand carts. You can get the airless tires from them same size tire and bearings, but you never have to add air.
I would assume you have some tubes for spacers or collars to keep the tire and sprocket from wandering side to side.
How I can get the bearings out?

One issue is that I'm welding that washer and sprocket to where one of the bearings is, so if I remove it for welding I won't be able to get it back in.

The scooter is a crappy E150 (image attached), the back wheel was basically a roller blade wheel and the motor was only 150w. Trying to fix it up a bit for my nephew.

Forgot to mention I have some shaft collars and pipe (spacers) I can use, not sure which I'll go with yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a10090a8-3913-472c-862e-f990ef7873d3_1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	165379  
Old 08-02-2022, 01:38 PM

More pics attached
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220802_143300_HDR.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	165380   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220802_143049_HDR.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	165381   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220802_143237.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	165382   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220802_143245_HDR.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	165383  
Old 08-02-2022, 06:21 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

I think I remember 3/4" axle is the size. take a 1/2" rod and place it through the bearing and then angle it so it catches the other bearing from the backside and tap it out. These bearings have a pressed steel outer race and are not real hard to tap out.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.
“The word ‘racism’ is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything — and demanding evidence makes you a ‘racist’.”
Thomas Sowell
Old 08-02-2022, 06:57 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staybusy View Post

One issue is that I'm welding that washer and sprocket to where one of the bearings is, so if I remove it for welding I won't be able to get it back in.

Forgot to mention I have some shaft collars and pipe (spacers) I can use, not sure which I'll go with yet.
You'll need a sleeve larger than the bearing to weld to the outside of the bearing pocket so you can get it back in.

I would try to flange the outside of the sleeve to bolt the sprocket on so the bearings still can be serviced.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.