Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 01-17-2019, 07:50 PM
That HURT!

Sorry about the pics. I moved them from my phone to lap top and they are right when I attach them.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:45 PM
Auction Addict

When I cleared my brothers land in WA for his shop, I used a 580 backhoe. Most were the same size as yours. Push them over, cut close to the stump and stacked the logs with the backhoe which had a thumb. His soil was mostly large gravel and mixed dirt. Got and acre done in about 3 hours. Mostly Douglass Fir trees. Rain often throughout the year so shallow roots.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 01-18-2019, 08:38 AM
Da Chief

OK Keith, chipper, mulcher what ever.. All I can say is it showed up on a low boy trailer, looked like a big funnel with a belt conveyor on one side. Big V-8 Cat diesel for power.

It sounded like the drum roll for the end of the world. Anything the operator's track hoe pitched into the top of the funnel, came out on the belt as chips, even limestone chunks the size of bowling balls embedded in the root balls.

Except for the barn and house foundations, all that mulch was spread over the lot, disc'ed in and leveled. covered in top soil and worked 'till it looked like good dirt to grow stuff in.

The landowner grows high dollar, exotic organic veggies and lives in his version of paradise. All is well in the woods.

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 01-18-2019, 06:33 PM
That HURT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post
OK Keith, chipper, mulcher what ever.
RED
I think drum grinder is the machine RED is talking about. Many years ago I cleared a 5 acre lot (using OPM) and we pushed all the trees over and fed them to the tub grinder. After 2 days it was an empty lot with a big pile of mulch in the middle.

I took the day off to do domestic stuff today. I needed to get propane so I can run my heater without fear of running out in the middle of the night ( it was 35 last night). I had to pull the toilet and replace the blade seal, water valve, and floor flange.

I have to work a half day tomorrow and will spend the rest of the day at the grove doing what I can.

I need to talk to my neighbor, he is a big time salesman for the local CAT franchise. I hooked him up with my logger and he is going to my neighbor's property right after he finishes with mine. I need to get my neighbor to hook me up with a demo machine to clear my stumpage. I'm new to the area and already I think people owe me, wait till they really get to know me
Old 02-05-2019, 07:59 PM
That HURT!

Ok, so here is the latest update. On the way home from work last week I saw a guy with a small excavator stumping a lot, so I pulled in to talk to him. Turns out he was a NJ transplant 15 years ago and we grew up not far from each other and ran around all the same counts in our youth. Needless to say we hit it off and became instant friends.

He is going to stump my lot for me. Remove all the stumps, roots, and organics. I am going to pay him in cash and he is going to pay me in cash for some fabrication work. We both have to lay out a bunch of cash but in the end it might turn out to be a wash. Keeping it cash instead of barter at this point is a good thing and we all feel comfortable until we get to know each other better.

In 10 days I should have a lot with 2 building sites ready to go. Now I need to write a check to the steel building company so I can get the stamped prints to pull the permits.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:13 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmack898 View Post
Ok, so here is the latest update. On the way home from work last week I saw a guy with a small excavator stumping a lot, so I pulled in to talk to him. Turns out he was a NJ transplant 15 years ago and we grew up not far from each other and ran around all the same counts in our youth. Needless to say we hit it off and became instant friends.

He is going to stump my lot for me. Remove all the stumps, roots, and organics. I am going to pay him in cash and he is going to pay me in cash for some fabrication work. We both have to lay out a bunch of cash but in the end it might turn out to be a wash. Keeping it cash instead of barter at this point is a good thing and we all feel comfortable until we get to know each other better.

In 10 days I should have a lot with 2 building sites ready to go. Now I need to write a check to the steel building company so I can get the stamped prints to pull the permits.
The Cash for cash deals always seem to work out much better in my opinion then no one feels like they got less and keeps good relations between parties so you should both come out happy... plus you both now have a new friendship brewing sounds like a win-win to me!

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 02-05-2019, 09:25 PM
Da Chief

Mac,
It's good that the "homeboy" hookup is solid, a bit more south, we give the "Jersey Boys" a wide berth for a very long time. I think it's a hold over from that "Carpet Bagger" thing,

The good ol' boys, way down here, were slow to take to me bein' a "northern red neck"

Can we get some before and after?

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 02-05-2019, 09:36 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post
Mac,
It's good that the "homeboy" hookup is solid, a bit more south, we give the "Jersey Boys" a wide berth for a very long time. I think it's a hold over from that "Carpet Bagger" thing,

The good ol' boys, way down here, were slow to take to me bein' a "northern red neck"

Can we get some before and after?

RED
Red,us southern boys can spot another southern boy a mile away.
We do tend to stick together,for whatever reason.
But we do make good with the few Rmacks that show up and work..
Old 02-06-2019, 08:20 PM
That HURT!

Thanks for the consideration Randy

Just so you know, the MD line when projected out, lies north of Cape May NJ

Southernmost NJ is as Red Neck as anyplace I've ever been. Farmers and Fisherman trying to make a living. Good folks and everyone takes care of each other.

I just needed to find a warmer place to live.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:51 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmack898 View Post
Thanks for the consideration Randy

Just so you know, the MD line when projected out, lies north of Cape May NJ

Southernmost NJ is as Red Neck as anyplace I've ever been. Farmers and Fisherman trying to make a living. Good folks and everyone takes care of each other.

I just needed to find a warmer place to live.
Oh yeah,i know some rednecks from NJ,good people,hard workers.
Its just,well,you know!