Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-04-2021, 10:44 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Default Why do some newer diesels blow too much DEF ?

Was behind another truck this morning, when he pulled in front of me, gawd the stink was bad.

i can only assume the DEF system is dumping in too much ?

Have smelled this bad on the city busses, as well as the "tuner" pick up trucks.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:55 AM
Elite Member

It could be that the DPF is plugged so that by the time the exhaust gets to the SCR (where the DEF is applied) it doesn't have enough NO2 to mix with. So yes, in essence excess DEF due to lower velocity exhaust. Just a guess.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:44 PM
I can dig it

It may have been in ‘regen’ mode burning out the particulates.

DEF is a sore topic with me, the new truck is now on new DEF pump number two, and a new DEF tank due to the old one cracking and splitting from freezing. Sure, they have ‘heaters’ in the tank. How effective will that be on a single wall, plastic tank at -30C and below? No insulation, no double wall, nothing. Damned fair weather engineers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2021, 02:39 PM

Stick to diesels from the previous century. No computers, no pee tanks.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:47 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

Location: Northwest Illinois,.. the land of Fat Greasy Pancakes

Im still driving a 2001 Ford, trying to make it last forever...
Old 03-04-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy_Acres View Post
Im still driving a 2001 Ford, trying to make it last forever...
Better get a couple of parts rigs. Better yet, buy something older, with a couple of parts rigs.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:37 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
It may have been in ‘regen’ mode burning out the particulates.

DEF is a sore topic with me, the new truck is now on new DEF pump number two, and a new DEF tank due to the old one cracking and splitting from freezing. Sure, they have ‘heaters’ in the tank. How effective will that be on a single wall, plastic tank at -30C and below? No insulation, no double wall, nothing. Damned fair weather engineers.

Out of curiosity, was the tank clear full?

My ford specifically says not to fill the tank all the way during winter to allow for expansion. I don't fill it over half a tank in the winter but I've always been doubtful how much that would help if we got down below zero for very long.

Mine still has the original tank but the DPF, and SCR were both replaced already
Old 03-05-2021, 10:06 AM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
Out of curiosity, was the tank clear full?

My ford specifically says not to fill the tank all the way during winter to allow for expansion. I don't fill it over half a tank in the winter but I've always been doubtful how much that would help if we got down below zero for very long.

Mine still has the original tank but the DPF, and SCR were both replaced already

Partial back story. It froze up and bridged over at about half a tank. The heater on the pump thawed around the pump, and kept using DEF, so I ended up with a truck that I couldn’t add DEF to, (I tried) but was so low that it was prepping to go into limp mode. (8km/h, or 5 mph, not real handy when one is over a hundred miles from any services at times!)

Got it to a dealer, they thawed it, replaced pump round 1. Had just over 1/4 tank when I was on the road.

Added a half jug, putting it up to half a tank, and we had our cold set in. For over three weeks, the gauge never moved, and when it went in for service it took over a day and a half in the shop to thaw. Ended up with another pump and a new tank this round.

A fluid that freezes at -12C needs more than what those little heaters will do when you have extended periods of -30ish (and colder) weather. Especially when it has zero insulation and is a single wall plastic tank. Most of these trucks here get deleted right away, mostly due to this issue. So that means the manufacturer and dealers get a big break because the customer resolves the issue. This area (Alberta) doesn’t target emissions much, so folks get away with it.

Since Onterrible enforces emissions, I want it to stay intact for if/when we do trips there, and if we end up returning someday to live again. I may hate the politics of the place, but our families and most of our friends are there.

So for now I’ll keep forcing the issue back to the dealer, who is also starting to shove it back uphill to FCA. As I’ve discussed with them, a ‘severe winter upgrade’ ahouldn’t be difficult. Some insulation, or a battery blanket type affair would be a start. A water jacket, heated from the heater return line would be another possible step.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:25 AM
Elite Member

We don't have inspections here, and I don't plan to move anytime soon - seriously considering deleting mine.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:28 PM
Made From Scratch

I had a feeling that keeping the level down a little in the winter was of little help if you're somewhere that actually gets cold. What a joke.

I have an Edge Insight monitor on my truck now so that I can monitor my DPF and make sure when it goes into regen that I drive it enough to get it reasonably clean. I think when covid hit and I was only driving the 5 miles to the farm and back that the stupid thing was short cycling over and over and burnt up. I put a lot of miles on normally, but there are a lot of short trips mixed in between horse shows and what not. It also gives me the ability to do a forced regen in an emergency.

I would love to delete this truck but its a big expense in itself and then you have to cross your fingers you never get checked. So far in Ohio there are counties that check and counties that don't. I currently live in a free county and don't intend to move but deleting it seems like a gamble the way things are going.