Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-02-2021, 05:10 PM

Default Water in the oil???

I have a Generac 22KW natural gas generator. Today I was doing my annual maintenance and discovered that the oil was milky brown. I naturally thought coolant in the oil, until I realized that it is an air cooled Kohler motor. Anybody got any Ideas on why the oil would look milky? There is really no way that water should be getting to that motor.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:51 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyjaco View Post
I have a Generac 22KW natural gas generator. Today I was doing my annual maintenance and discovered that the oil was milky brown. I naturally thought coolant in the oil, until I realized that it is an air cooled Kohler motor. Anybody got any Ideas on why the oil would look milky? There is really no way that water should be getting to that motor.
It's water. It does not take much water to make it look bad.

https://testoil.com/program-manageme...ection-limits/

Likely a leak somewhere and rain water is getting in or less likely but possible,
condensation. Particularly if you have been passing through the dew point
quite often. You know with unseasonably cold weather and all...

When was the last oil change?

Solution:
Run the engine get it warm. Drain the oil.

Refill.

Run the engine, sample and run the crackle test. If it fails. Drain and refill.

You should change the oil once a year at a minimum.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 03-02-2021, 05:52 PM
Elite Member

Condensate will form in the crankcase in a warm engine. If it isn't brought up to running temp, for a long enough time to drive the moisture out, it will collect. It boils down to how long and how often do you run it?

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 03-02-2021, 06:12 PM

Thanks guys. I change the oil once a year. The unit starts itself once a week and runs for @ 5 minutes. Luckily or unluckily we never lost power this year, so it has not run for any long periods of time, and it is probably condensation. The oil was changed immediately and looks normal now.
I do live near the Texas Gulf coast, so there is lots of humidity and temperature changes. Any thoughts on preventing the condensation?
Old 03-02-2021, 07:53 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyjaco View Post
Thanks guys. I change the oil once a year. The unit starts itself once a week and runs for @ 5 minutes. Luckily or unluckily we never lost power this year, so it has not run for any long periods of time, and it is probably condensation. The oil was changed immediately and looks normal now.
I do live near the Texas Gulf coast, so there is lots of humidity and temperature changes. Any thoughts on preventing the condensation?
The only way I know of it to run it for 30 minutes every 2 months to remove the moisture. Dry here but I do it anyway.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:12 PM

Can you increase the run time on the exercise cycle? I usually run mine for 30-45 minutes, less if your transferring a load on it. It needs to get hot.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:20 AM
Elite Member

A crankcase heater BUT it will add to electric bill .
...lew...
Old 03-03-2021, 09:19 AM

My 20 Generac runs about 20 minutes weekly. No oil problems after ~10 years. Not far from Texas Gulf Coast. Logged about 15 hours intermittent run time during the snow/freeze/power interruption last month.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
A crankcase heater BUT it will add to electric bill.
You only have to keep the motor warmer than the dew point. Generally just a few degrees above ambient will do the trick.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:41 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

Location: Northwest Illinois,.. the land of Fat Greasy Pancakes

So, every last Generac Air Cooled stand by genny has milky oil. Ive never serviced one that did not. Unless it was brand new. I dont think I ever changed the oil on one, and after running it, cleared up the oil. There is too much moisture in the crankcase. I suppose if you get it hot enough long enough...

The exercising does that, they run frequently but never get hot.

End of story.

Ive had this with every forklift Ive owned as well, due to infrequent use. I suppose if you lived in a desert this might not happen.