Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 02-05-2021, 07:47 PM
Elite Member

I determined the cause of the cracks to be force from the crankshaft after being dropped.

I discovered the rear bearing cap/unloader assembly was separated from the case of the green pump. The blue pump was undamaged.

The crank pushed out the bearing cap and the threads of all four tapped screw holes that secure the cap. It also cracked the case in a few areas shown with white paint dots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8BC5295B-4CE0-4E8D-BEC9-D2831095F91A.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	159448   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBAFA7FC-0DD1-45F9-8AA4-830DD1A6C114.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	159449  

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.

Last edited by GWIZ; 02-06-2021 at 02:49 AM. Reason: rotate pictures
Old 02-05-2021, 10:01 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
I am in need of help to understand what you mean here......... Oh! I got it before I hit the submit!

How about adhesive type wheel weights?

In reality though I believe this is not a balance issue and adding mass will make matters worse. Adding mass will primarily act on a force in a radial direction. The runout is acting on a force primarily in an axial direction.
Axial run out it won't help. I was thinking OD.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:59 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
I

The crank pushed out the bearing cap and the threads of all four tapped screw holes that secure the cap. It also cracked the case in a few areas shown with white paint dots.
Very weldable.
locate and drill a hole at each end of the cracks
Vee out the cracks and weld with nickel.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 02-06-2021, 06:29 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Axial run out it won't help. I was thinking OD.
Yes, the definition of runout and concentricity gets blurry to me when when the details and specifics of their meanings are exposed. For me runout is deviation on a radial plane or axis. Concentricity is deviation from a center axis. Anything more is beyond the scope of anything I do.

I actually failed to check for concentricity. Your suggestion to add mass might apply.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 02-06-2021, 06:51 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Very weldable.
locate and drill a hole at each end of the cracks
Vee out the cracks and weld with nickel.
I never used nickel. Would that be considered more like brazing rather than welding? I have various “rods” but I am unsure what they are. I suppose I will find one that cooperates the best and use it. I’m not too concerned about strength here. I think it may be possible to do a thread repair on the four holes,
reseal the inside with epoxy and call it good.

I have done a bit of research and concluded I don’t want to melt the base metal (cast iron) as in welding. There seems to be more issues to consider when welding such as elevated preheat temperature, cool down time, hardening and shrinking stress. All of these concerns seem to be reduced when brazing at lower temperatures.

Old 02-06-2021, 12:26 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
I never used nickel. Would that be considered more like brazing rather than welding? I have various “rods” but I am unsure what they are. I suppose I will find one that cooperates the best and use it. I’m not too concerned about strength here. I think it may be possible to do a thread repair on the four holes,
reseal the inside with epoxy and call it good.

I have done a bit of research and concluded I don’t want to melt the base metal (cast iron) as in welding. There seems to be more issues to consider when welding such as elevated preheat temperature, cool down time, hardening and shrinking stress. All of these concerns seem to be reduced when brazing at lower temperatures.
You can braze with brass. Still takes a lot of wide spread heat to braze. Nickle also requires a good bit of preheat as well. Nickle rod is pricey where brass is much lower in cost. The heat on cast is not the issue. It is the cool down to control on cracking. Slow cooling is the key.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:22 AM
Elite Member

The brazing is done. We shall see how complete the filling is when I drill and tap the holes. Those areas were a bit of trouble.

After soaking the block in my electric oven for four hours I placed it in a wheelbarrow, covered it with a leather welding jacket and made the forty yard trek uphill with five inched of snow on the ground and a temperature of 15 degrees F.

I removed a storm windowing the kitchen and placed a fan to pull out the smoke from the burning paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	272BBFD2-3915-4981-B6D4-3E2C84108C75.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	159469   Click image for larger version

Name:	3F7DD8EB-311F-4F43-94F8-ED42DF45E222.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	159470  

Old 02-08-2021, 10:06 AM
Blast this!

Bet you are a popular fellow if that electric stove was in the kitchen .
Old 02-08-2021, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The brazing is done. We shall see how complete the filling is when I drill and tap the holes. Those areas were a bit of trouble.

After soaking the block in my electric oven for four hours I placed it in a wheelbarrow, covered it with a leather welding jacket and made the forty yard trek uphill with five inched of snow on the ground and a temperature of 15 degrees F.

I removed a storm windowing the kitchen and placed a fan to pull out the smoke from the burning paint.

Good thing you are single , or you would soon be after using the kitchen oven.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 02-08-2021, 12:07 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
It looks very nice, should cause no problems. You'll have to file the brass out of the register circle. It occurred to me that you could rotate the bearing cap a few degrees to drill into fresh meat for the bolts. There is usually gaskets used for bearing shims so you may have to re-adjust bearing end play.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson