Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 05-19-2020, 04:59 PM
The Real Deal

This is what I did at the blacktop plant I retired from. These hangers swivel in the direction you have to go and if they are looped one in front of the other when wound up so you can grab the stinger and head out 150 feet without looking back. Same with the ground. Mine are made with 2"X2" angle and 1 1/2" square tube and swing off to the side when not being used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leads.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	156193  
Old 05-22-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BukitCase View Post
"the inductance of an "air core" coil isn't going to effect the arc measurably, I'd bet."

I'm with Shade on this one; former job (35 yrs) in industrial instrumentation, part of my job involved induction heaters - one type used the "client" (an 8" diameter 24" long "billet" of Zirconium alloy, DEFINITELY non-ferrous) as a "core" - the heater coil drew 500 amps, and would heat that billet from room temp to dull cherry in about 15 MINUTES.

After that the billet was placed on a mandrel and pushed thru another (different alloy) and much larger billet by a 1000 TON hydraulic press, to form a co-extruded tube (nuke plant cooling pipes)

I don't (yet) have my stick leads on spools, probably never will; but I DO have 'em in sections with connectors; longest section's 25', stinger is on an 8' whip.

When I got the little green stick/tig inverter, made adapters to use all my leads with dinse plugs. Made a 6/4 extension cord, 85 feet. Now if necessary I can weld (stick) as far away as 140' from a 240 outlet WITHOUT firing up the genny. Up to 100 feet with wire (the little "offroad" mm211)

Definitely NOT a pro, but it works for a cranky old "hobby farmer/mad scientist" ... Steve
Fyi Or Incase anyone else has leads they want to adapt to their “other” machines lenco makes adapters.

I use the LCA on my syncrowave with my long leads.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	57AC6FC2-D1CC-4105-B559-C9C2859106D0.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	156225  
Old 05-29-2020, 06:23 PM

I just flake my leads. It eliminates the problem of a bunch of power going into creating an electromagnet, and it also eliminates the problem of twists and hockling.

I do the same thing with garden hoses. When you flake them, all you need to use them is to drag them out. No having to take 500 twists out, and then put 500 twists back into the hose (or cable) when you coil it back up.

Life's too short to spend half of it wrestling with hoses, or welding leads, needlessly.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:26 PM

I just flake my leads. It eliminates the problem of a bunch of power going into creating an electromagnet, and it also eliminates the problem of twists, kinks and hockling.

I do the same thing with garden hoses. When you flake them, all you need to do to use them is to drag them out. No having to take 500 twists out, and then put 500 twists back into, the hose (or cable) when you coil it back up.

Life's too short to spend half of it wrestling with hoses, or welding leads, needlessly.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:23 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
I just flake my leads. It eliminates the problem of a bunch of power going into creating an electromagnet, and it also eliminates the problem of twists, kinks and hockling.

I do the same thing with garden hoses. When you flake them, all you need to do to use them is to drag them out. No having to take 500 twists out, and then put 500 twists back into, the hose (or cable) when you coil it back up.

I'm ignorant. What is flaking? and what is hockling?

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonian View Post
I'm ignorant. What is flaking? and what is hockling?

I had to look flaking up too.Hockling is probably knots and twists, which I am very good at.

Name:	IMG_4902.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	156300

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden