Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 05-12-2020, 11:39 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
I think the winch idea is a great addition. You have a good prototype already to copy, and just upsize what you want to. Will you have all swivel castors?

The bigger you go in these, the easier it will to be to move around.
I'm not sure yet, there's pros and cons to having a set of fixed wheels. I think the casters are the most expensive part of the project. I refuse to use cheap casters for this as a failure could be catastrophic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
I wouldn't think you would need a lattice boom, a bridged rectangle tube would be fine
You're absolutely right - it would add some cool factor, but definitely take too much time - you talked me out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Agreed.

I love using my engine hoists around the place on slabs. Problem is, those darn feet. Never in the right place to straddle anything. sigh
Yea... I haven't figured that out yet either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-...ane-69514.html

I have had one of these for 20ish years, replaced the casters once, it is stored
outside. And just replaced the cylinder last year. I have move both machine
tools with it both are just under 2 tons and moved a lot of weldments with it
over the years. You can modify it with you winch if you want but honestly I
don't think you need it.
That is almost exactly what I have. Mine was sold by fleet farm, and is branded Larin. Need the winch? Certainly not, but would definitely make things a bit quicker. At a minimum I'll be upgrading to the air/hydraulic cylinder. Pumping that thing is painfully slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
I think this is what he has currently.

I can see the winch being a definite improvement, although like Ron says, not needed. But helpful in certain situations for sure.

I’m sure you know this already, but make sure any tables or carts you have do not have a shelve or brace lower than what the legs can roll under.

Now that I am thinking about this, I think I might redo my 6’x 12’ x 1” welding table in my shop. The lower braces are only about 3” off the ground, so none of my die carts lifts or motor crane will roll under it, and the top angle support frame is only about 2” in from the edge, so it stinks for clamping on the edge. It also seems like there is a bow in the plate to, probably from the makers over welding it. ( I didn’t make it, my dad bought it for scrap price 25 years ago) Give me a good excuse to clean up the piles of bird shit welds on it from the goons that would burn off the end of the mig wire on the legs and table top support.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
I don't have a problem with that now, but as I've started adding wheels to things it is definitely something to keep in mind. Thanks! Now that you bring up the welding table that's another project in the back of my mind - adjustable height welding table. But before any of this, I need a cart for both welders and the plasma cutter. They take up too much floor space as is, and I'm sick of plugging one in, unplugging then plugging the other in. The cart will be wired. I see no reason why all three machines can't be turned on as long as I'm not using more than one at a time. Right?
Old 05-12-2020, 12:01 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
That is almost exactly what I have. Mine was sold by fleet farm, and is branded Larin. Need the winch? Certainly not, but would definitely make things a bit quicker. At a minimum I'll be upgrading to the air/hydraulic cylinder. Pumping that thing is painfully slow.
I am sure they both rolled out of the same chinese factory.

That is what teenagers are for...

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 05-12-2020, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Default Idea for a shop hoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
I'm not sure yet, there's pros and cons to having a set of fixed wheels. I think the casters are the most expensive part of the project. I refuse to use cheap casters for this as a failure could be catastrophic.

You're absolutely right - it would add some cool factor, but definitely take too much time - you talked me out of it.

Yea... I haven't figured that out yet either.

I don't have a problem with that now, but as I've started adding wheels to things it is definitely something to keep in mind. Thanks! Now that you bring up the welding table that's another project in the back of my mind - adjustable height welding table. But before any of this, I need a cart for both welders and the plasma cutter. They take up too much floor space as is, and I'm sick of plugging one in, unplugging then plugging the other in. The cart will be wired. I see no reason why all three machines can't be turned on as long as I'm not using more than one at a time. Right?

I find it is nice to have the welder and plasma cutter both plugged in and turned on at the same time. You can switch from one to the other real quick then.

Milk bossie carts I used to use at grocery stores have great rolling castors, and one set would lock from rotating by pulling a pin. You could definitely make the castors the most expensive part of the build

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4726.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	156091

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 05-14-2020, 06:07 AM
Elite Member

I ended up with a pallet stacker cheap. Love it! Check around, some are rated to 4k lift, most are 1500.