Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 05-11-2020, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Nice use of the old rasp! I guess that could really double as a weapon if needed. I remember back in middle school watching a fight progress and the smaller kid took his belt off and was swinging it around daring the bigger kid to attack him.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 05-11-2020, 01:52 PM
Made From Scratch

Thanks everybody

LW,
I made a wriggler and a 90 degree straight point tool just to see if I could, and to kind of test the concept, and since then I have wanted to get into it more seriously but haven't really followed through. I've scratched on 2 or 3 projects and always say I will get something better together for the next one and don't.
I have looked at the ball vise set ups and it seems like a good option but I always put it on the back burner until I actually want to do it and then I don't have a vise. Digging the rotor out of the scrap pile had me up and running in 20 min. I will probably end up buying or making some other shapes of gravers and see what kind of cuts you can do with them. Its kind of overwhelming to get started, you don't know what you need and what you don't and its all too expensive to buy a full set up just to experiment.

JWS
The heel bar on the buckle is 1/4 inch and I used a round file to cut a groove all the way around the middle of it so that it has somewhat of a journal for the tongue to ride in. The Tongue is 5/32 and was bent hot and then tightened up with a hammer on the heel bar.
It also boggles my mind what folks are paying for rasps and knives and stuff these days, its too much work to crawl under a horse with a dull one, but when some of the rasps are upwards of $40 they're hard to throw away. The ones I like are around $22-25 a piece now. I see kids coming out of farrier school with a $50 left hand knife, $50 right hand knife, and a $100 loop knife and I just shake my head. I guess its kind of ironic, I use a knife I made because I'm too cheap to buy those knives, but if I had to sell one I wouldn't let it go for those prices either
Old 05-11-2020, 07:30 PM
Elite Member

When I graduated in '77 from Oklahoma Horseshoeing school (then it was in Stillwater) I came home with a $90.00 pair of GE nippers and an apron. Still using the box an old guy gave my dad that his dad had used. Have rebuilt it a few times after a horse explodes. Now days, only trim or shoe using my stocks except for the grandkids Shetland ponies. Oh they are hard on the back!

I am so cheap, each time I bought a new rasp I couldn't believe how dull the old one had gotten! Took me a couple of years to learn not to stack/slide the 2 rasps I used together in the box. Carried two, one for cleanup under the nails and along the shoe, the other for hoof work only then that one becomes the second and the new rasp is for hooves only. I digress, sorry. Beautiful work, I really like the looks of that buckle.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:17 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
When I graduated in '77 from Oklahoma Horseshoeing school (then it was in Stillwater) I came home with a $90.00 pair of GE nippers and an apron. Still using the box an old guy gave my dad that his dad had used. Have rebuilt it a few times after a horse explodes. Now days, only trim or shoe using my stocks except for the grandkids Shetland ponies. Oh they are hard on the back!

I am so cheap, each time I bought a new rasp I couldn't believe how dull the old one had gotten! Took me a couple of years to learn not to stack/slide the 2 rasps I used together in the box. Carried two, one for cleanup under the nails and along the shoe, the other for hoof work only then that one becomes the second and the new rasp is for hooves only. I digress, sorry. Beautiful work, I really like the looks of that buckle.
I rotate them the same way, when they start to get dull they get used for taking clinches off or working around a shoe, and a new one comes out for trimming. I have one horse that wears glue on shoes and I hate using a new rasp on the adhesive and rubber also. I probably don't have to tell you that GE nippers run around $200 now. I'm hoping if I make some buckles like this I can treat myself to a new rasp a little more often
Old 05-12-2020, 09:17 PM
Elite Member

Yeah, I bought a new set of GE's about 10 years ago. I think I got them for 150-160 dollars if I remember right. Those should last the rest of my lifetime. I am only trimming my own. Gave up my route about 8 years ago. Had two old guys bring their horses to my house and I used the stocks. They were afraid of them (they guys, not the horses) the horses love them, they can lay in the chains and many snooze. As far as I am concerned they are top notch. They being the GE nippers and a set of stocks.

Out of curiosity, what do you get for a buckle like that?
Old 05-12-2020, 10:04 PM
Made From Scratch

Haven't sold one yet, and still haven't figured out what I'd need for one. They might be pretty cheap when my stimulus check is gone

I'm kind of in limbo on my sales stuff. Etsy has gotten to be a joke, where I was selling bigger items pretty often, I'm down to selling hoofpicks and keychains once a month. The site is flooded with cheap imported junk and they set the metrics on their sales pages so that if you won't give free shipping you get moved down the list, and the same goes for price. When the stay at home order hit, I temporarily suspended sales cause it didn't make any sense to be driving to the post office and standing in line to get the kung flu just to make 10 bucks.

Now I'm trying to decide whether I even mess with Etsy anymore or if I do something else. About 50% of the inquiries I get on there are either tire kickers that don't follow through on an order or they're idiots that want it done tomorrow. It really pisses me off to spend the time sketching something up, and paying a listing fee to post a custom order just to have somebody disappear and not follow through on it.

My facebook page has been getting me some business, and I'm kind of debating between just listing stuff in their marketplace or making an actual webpage of some sort.