Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 05-11-2020, 10:16 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by docweathers View Post
I am not going to screw with sealing the tank. You guys may have saved me a trip to the morgue. Harbor Freight has a cheapie that will work for my minimal use.... plasma torch and spray booth.
Smart decision! Always nice to see folks listen to experience.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:03 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

Location: Northwest Illinois,.. the land of Fat Greasy Pancakes

Reading the title of this , made me cringe,,.... something to do with living on borrowed time... a RUSTY leaking tank ? Run, dont walk. Just talking about it makes me nervous, knowing the stored potential energy, and the luck in place if its LEAKING and RUSTY !!!

Im rehabbing a donated Saylor Beale (sp?). Its old, but looks great on the outside, but I know better... over the years Ive seen pics of the carnage online of the unfortunate, and I dont want to belong to that fraternity.

I bought a scope to have a look at the bottom of it, from the inside. I think it was $15 ? Plugs into my smart phone, seems as though I also have one, that has a USB plug on the end of it ( laptop ), hiding in my tool box.

So that is my share, if you have something youd like to take a look at on the inside, you dont have to drop a grand on a scope. $15 and prime, and your good.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:30 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy_Acres View Post
I bought a scope to have a look at the bottom of it, from the inside. I think it was $15 ? Plugs into my smart phone, seems as though I also have one, that has a USB plug on the end of it ( laptop ), hiding in my tool box.

So that is my share, if you have something youd like to take a look at on the inside, you dont have to drop a grand on a scope. $15 and prime, and your good.

Sent from my mobile device using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

I've been wondering if those scopes are goo enough to see anything or if they are worth what you pay for. I've used the expensive version, but never had a justifiable need to purchase one.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:27 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
Sent from my mobile device using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

I've been wondering if those scopes are goo enough to see anything or if they are worth what you pay for. I've used the expensive version, but never had a justifiable need to purchase one.
I have one that I purchased off of ebay a few years ago for under $15 that I use to inspect firearm bores. I can take and save pics and videos with it. It works decent enough for what I wanted to use it for. Right now there are some for $6.99 on up with free shipping. I guess it depends on how inexpensive a person decides to go on one.

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E
Old 05-16-2020, 07:44 AM
Auction Addict

I bought 6 of them (cheapies) at an auction for $4 apiece. Work really well.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:22 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
I've been wondering if those scopes are goo enough to see anything or if they are worth what you pay for.
They are DEFINITELY worth the $20 or less you pay for one. I think I have three of them now, one came with an auction lot (free). The ones I have all happen to be about the same diameter, which is a little too fat for .223, 5.5 or 6mm I think... There is a newer model out now that WILL fit inside .223 I'm probably going to have to get.

They also come with bigger heads which would probably have better resolution in larger openings such as drain pipes and so on.

Other "options" are length in meters, 2m would be the minimum length I would get. I use "scopecam" app on my phone and "moviemaker" app on the PC.

They are supposed to be waterproof and have a built-in adjustable intensity LED in them...

I had to retrieve a rag sucked into an intake and the scope cam helped with that. Grabby finger tool successfully pulled the intact rag out.

Video is of a 9mm bore and yes, gun is loaded but I was certain it would not go off.

I've also used it inside a wall to help route a CAT5 cable around some pipes...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	endo1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	156140  
Attached Files
File Type: wmv 9mmbore.wmv (4.13 MB, 16 views)

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 05-16-2020, 08:03 PM
Elite Member

Now you know how a proctologist feels

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!

Tags
compressor, rust