Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 05-01-2020, 11:04 PM

Need some ideas on: Steering and where to put the radiator?

Probably have to do a full hydro steering due to space constraints, ie hydraulic cylinder front and rear and use an orbital steering setup. Would prefer steering box somehow for the front and use a hydraulic cylinder for rear steering, so i could at least steer if unpowered. Not there yet, but could use ideas.

Radiator, I'm kind of stumped where to put it and still get a little air flow and be somewhat protected. Maybe use two smaller radiators tucked somewhere. I mean the VW radiator is not that large to begin with.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Neat project. Might have to put radiator on roof with an electric fan for pushing air flow, when needed. Just guard it well from falling trees, or low branches when off roading, which I bet this thing will see just because you can, and want to push it to see what it can do.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 05-02-2020, 07:47 AM

Wish I could find some 8 lug hubs sub $100 around here.

Looking forward to this project.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:40 AM
Elite Member

awesome project, can't wait to see it move forward!
Old 05-02-2020, 04:39 PM
Auction Addict

Looks like it will a very cool work tool.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:04 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfinished View Post
@Matt Shade yeah that sounds great too, what are you waiting for... I also have some jeep axles on a rusty cj3a frame that was someone elses project, I considered using those but the form factor wasn't what i wanted. And kinda wanted four wheel steering just for cool factor.
Lack of time, lack of room to build it, lack of money haha I have a lot of projects that I plan to get around to some day.

I have a feeling I'd want to narrow the axles so I could get it in and out of the barn and what not and that adds a lot of difficulty to the project. I don't have a lathe and I know it could be done without one but it would take a lot of time to get everything together and do it.

Your build is really coming along nicely, I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with it.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:50 AM

Thanks guys. Glad there is interest, keeps me motivated.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
Lack of time, lack of room to build it, lack of money haha I have a lot of projects that I plan to get around to some day.

I have a feeling I'd want to narrow the axles so I could get it in and out of the barn and what not and that adds a lot of difficulty to the project. I don't have a lathe and I know it could be done without one but it would take a lot of time to get everything together and do it.

Your build is really coming along nicely, I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with it.
Totally understandable. Now that I have somewhat more time, I'm trying to hack away at my project list. Biggest issue is space for me too, collect too much stuff and it's all in my way.

I didn't use a lathe at all for the axles. Just a sawzall and grinder and the welder of course. The key is to use two short side axle shafts. Which is good and bad, you're stuck with what width the two short axles results in. If you want some specific width or non-centered housing then yeah you'll have to cut and splice the axle shafts. I just used a piece of angle iron and eyeballed the axle tube alignment. Hopefully it is good enough.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Neat project. Might have to put radiator on roof with an electric fan for pushing air flow, when needed. Just guard it well from falling trees, or low branches when off roading, which I bet this thing will see just because you can, and want to push it to see what it can do.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
Yeah that is an option. Radiator laid flat on roof, draw air from interior of cab and exhaust upwards/outside?
Old 05-03-2020, 08:16 PM

Ended pulling everything outside and setting it up on my trailer. It is just easier working outside and can use my tractor to lift things around. Was curious how much of a pig this was going to be and weighed the main pieces.

One axle with 2 wheels/tires = 487 lbs
Engine w/transaxle = 408 lbs
Frame upper and lower = 344 lbs

Total so far 1726 lbs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weight_of_axles_and_tires.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	155891   Click image for larger version

Name:	weight_of_frame.jpg
Views:	49