Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 04-22-2020, 09:20 PM
Elite Member

Default Chasing electrical gremlins at dads place

So while I was heading home from work this morning, I get a text from dad, "can you stop by this morning ".

Seems all his power worked when he got up, same as every other day, then all the sudden, lots of stuff stopped working.

No rhyme or reason to it, outlets in kitchen work, ceiling light and stove exhaust fan do not. Nothing in the computer room works. Some switches for the outside lights work, etc.

Nothing in the breaker box tripped, all outputs of the breaker where the wire attaches have 120 or 240.

I'm stumped

The basement has a lath plaster ceiling, so tracing wires sucks, you have to knock a hole everywhere to try and follow the wire. This will not be fun.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:37 PM
The Real Deal

Loose connections, bad ground maybe. I would first check all the connections. Ground rod outside the house?

Last edited by digr; 04-22-2020 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:52 PM
Sultan of Scrounge

Look closely at outlet boxes near the problem areas. I've seen feed through outlets with the push in wires in the rear of the outlet do strange things.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:27 AM
SFT Historian

Distance wise, Trouble shoot the problem boxes located "closest" to the breaker.
No use checking a box that is 100 feet away when it gets its power from the box 50 feet closer to the breaker.
Don't rule out a working receptacle with a bad connection that feeds to the non working ones.
As mentioned from tnmike a bad receptacle that uses a back-stab connection.

Some times you can look inside the box and tell which direction the wires come from or go.
In other words
if they come in from the top they go up above.
left and right may feed lead from the left or right in direction.
come in from the bottom they go down.

Most of the time that is.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:51 AM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flametamer

He could have lost 1 leg of incoming power. That will cause random issues you described.

Dt
Old 04-23-2020, 06:42 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by flametamer View Post
He could have lost 1 leg of incoming power. That will cause random issues you described.

Dt
Meth heads are snipping off the neutral at the pole.....
Old 04-23-2020, 07:26 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:

Dt
That will shut down half the plugs and lights in the house randomly. I have had that happen.

If he has an electric stove the oven will not work. The hot water tank will not work.
If a flying branch in a windstorm hit the triplex drop line, one wire or connector may have pulled apart.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 04-23-2020, 11:20 AM
I can dig it

Also check ALL connections in the panel. Years ago I struggled with a strange power problem, eventually found a loose connection on a white/neutral inside the panel that fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 04-23-2020, 05:50 PM
Elite Member

Quote:

Dt
Take your trusty meter to the breaker box and check all three legs on the incoming side, before the main breaker. If there's a "dead leg", call your power company as there may be an issue with the lines coming into the service drop.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:00 AM
Made From Scratch

It sounds like you have a more serious problem but be sure to check every GFI in the house before you start knocking holes in things and really digging. The way most of them are wired a GFI will shut down everything that is downstream from it in the circuit and sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to how the circuits are laid out. A buddy of mine had a GFI pop in an upstairs bathroom and it took out the back porch lights, 2 kitchen outlets and half the basement...