Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 04-11-2020, 04:25 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Chris, I had to find my glasses to figure out what the heck kind of axle you had on your boat trailer in pic #5.

It's all better now. lol

I bought one of the cheapy HF tire rigs a few years ago. Altered the base to where there are two pieces of sq tubing that sit in two each larger pieces of sq tubing which are set in the garage floor. I cut a hole out, made a footing for the tubing and set it in place.

When I need the tire changer, I open the floor tubing, set the rig in their pockets and have a solid foundation for working on tires.

I made a small adaptor which is used on the same rig for smaller rims etc, for my ZT etc. Those tires give me the most problems around here. You'd think I was in Texas with big assed thorns. But, there is nothing but magic to let air our of these pain in the butt tires.

Nice rigs guys. Well done.
The boat trailer is somewhat modified. Sad part is I have not been out fishing for catfish or walleye for 6 years. Was hoping to get out this year but Scott's projects will take me most of the year. Happy part is now the tires are all good for 2021.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:39 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Sad part is I have not been out fishing for catfish or walleye for 6 years
I've got a couple local friends that have rather large fish ponds. One is about 10 acres and the other says his is around 20. Both are huge, the latter is just plain big.

I won't be doing any fishing till all of this virus deal is over and gone. May yet be awhile for me to get back to sitting on the bank and wetting line.

While I would like to have a small and larger boat, I'll just be happy with a lawnmower and a bike. No need to add one more thing that needs therapy to keep in running order.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-29-2020, 03:49 PM
Elite Member

Chris, I may start doing my own small tires, locals want TWICE as much for exact same tire as I can get 'em online (like $100 each instead of $45)

I remembered your recent thread, saw your comment about a LOT more tapped holes/mag drill - I've had good luck with Evolution cutters, and they list all the sizes they sell that are tap sizes -

https://evolutionpowertools.com/down...eelcatalog.pdf

Tap size cutters are on page 16, go down to 1/2-13 or 20 and up to 1"-12 or 14

Anybody fabbed a tire changer that's more than a holder and couple screw drivers or small pry bars? If so, I'd love to see 'em... Steve
Old 04-29-2020, 06:57 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BukitCase View Post
Chris, I may start doing my own small tires, locals want TWICE as much for exact same tire as I can get 'em online (like $100 each instead of $45)

I remembered your recent thread, saw your comment about a LOT more tapped holes/mag drill - I've had good luck with Evolution cutters, and they list all the sizes they sell that are tap sizes -

https://evolutionpowertools.com/down...eelcatalog.pdf

Tap size cutters are on page 16, go down to 1/2-13 or 20 and up to 1"-12 or 14

Anybody fabbed a tire changer that's more than a holder and couple screw drivers or small pry bars? If so, I'd love to see 'em... Steve
I usually just put on the adapter for standard twist drills for tap size holes. Takes a bit longer than annular, but I do not mind that much.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:30 PM
Da Chief

A few years back, when I built the garagemahall, I poured in 2 X 2 hitch receiver tubing in the shop floor. I've made adapters for a winch, chain fall and come-along, even holdowns for my A frame. pretty slick, clear as much working room as I need for the task at hand, (the hard part) drop in the tool I need and have done with it.

I too bought one 'o them cheapie hobofright manual tire changer thingie's. Had to brace the bead breaker a bit, drill a couple of holes, weld a piece of 2 X 2 tube and a couple of pieces of angle, for stability, to the bottom, and redgineer a few tools and attachments.
Viola, A tire changer that will do 8 to 18 inch rims, portable, Done.

Nowadays it's powered by anybody but me. Last year wally world raised their tire changing price, more than 50%. Now I get lot's of new friends stopping in to use my tire changer, funny though, can't find any of them when I need a hand. Ain't that always the way...

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 04-29-2020, 09:23 PM
Lord of the Minions

[QUOTEI've made adapters for a winch, chain fall and come-along][/QUOTE]I've got a total of 5 of these floor pockets in the garage and 3 in the main bay of my shop.

They do come in handy more often than one would think.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-30-2020, 05:01 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post

Nowadays it's powered by anybody but me. Last year wally world raised their tire changing price, more than 50%. Now I get lot's of new friends stopping in to use my tire changer, funny though, can't find any of them when I need a hand. Ain't that always the way...

RED
I have friends stopping by all the time.. They can use my home built manual machine anytime they want.. I just have it hooked on to the end off my Gantry leg.. Has a real nice bead breaker that works well. That said,nobody has used it yet. I charge if I have to get involved. Generally a mix of 2 wheel/3 wheel/4 wheel vehicles.

Since I bought a Tire machine, and Balancer, no need to use my manual units.. I really should of bought them many years ago, because they are some of the most used tools in my shop. Pretty much paid them off the first year of ownership. The real money is being able to balance hard to balance wheels like 106 MM Toyota truck rims.. Big money to buy a correct setup to do those. I just had one of my large cones turned down to fit the hubs, and a cheap China lug Centric adapter make for perfect mounting of those rims on my balancer..

I even moved up to dealing with TPS sensors with some Aiutel stuff.. Least if they are dead, I know it's not my fault when changing out tires..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0156.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	155818