Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 06-23-2012, 11:09 AM
More STEAM!!

One of the few times that I watched the tv program,"A 1000 ways to die," this kid thought that hitting mailboxes with a bat was a fun thing to do.

Apparently, he had hit this Ol Boys box a few times. The guy got tired of it and being a steel worker he built his own box.

The next time this kid decided he need some fun, with his girl friend driving, he started smashing mailboxes until he hit the steel workers box. The bat was the thing that broke this time and a shard of the bat came back, pierced the kids chest and heart.

And that was the end of the kid and his smashing of mailboxes. Who says you can't fix stupid?

Last edited by Charlie C; 06-23-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Elite Member

Nice mailbox Jen. Ihave hadthe same problem with mailboxes, except its the state roads contractor. When he plows, he doesn't like to go less than about 50MPH regardless of what (or who) is around. He hit it the last time and split the 4x4 that it was on. I finally called the state roads office and they sent the convicts out to "fix" it. They put up an el cheapo box on a square sheetmetal post. They even grabbed a piece of old telephone wire to tie it to the guardrail. Plow truck hit that one too. IF I'm here next winter (I pray I'm not) State roads will get another call. Jen, you could always put a big hinge on the vertical post to the arm and put a big spring on it to hold it in position.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Elite Member

Some of you are talking about two different jurisdictions here.
The Post Office just cares about distances up and down and to and from the road.
This is just so the carrier can reach to open and close the box.
Right of way ownership is something they do not care about.

The road guys (city, township, or county) are concerned about hitting the box with their snowplows.
They have to plow the right of way.
(Obviously only a problem in snow country.)

Most people put the mail box post between the pavement and the drain ditch.
But if you have a ditch close to the edge of the pavement you may be crowding the edge of the pavement.
And the plow drivers are supposed to clear all the pavement, edge to edge.

With blowing snow and a big blade in front of you it can be hard to see the mail boxes.
Mistakes happen, and a reinforced post can cause expensive damage.

The best comprise I have seen in this situation is the post behind the ditch and the box on a long arm reaching over the ditch.
The best engineered was a pipe in a pipe swivel with a hole through both for a piece of broom stick. The broom stick acted like a kind of fuse. It stood up to the wind but if hit it gave way causing no damage to the plow.

When I replaced my box and post I talked to the township road supervisor.
He was fine with my idea of having the box door six inches back from the edge of the pavement.
That put the post about eighteen inches off the pavement.
The mail people said they could reach it without a problem.

Two years later they re-paved the road and put a little bump in the edge of the pavement under the box, all the way to the box.
The supervisor said not to worry. The plow drivers ignore the bump outs.

I have never had any problems with the baseball bat guys.
Maybe it is because I am on a dead end road.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Post Fiend

That 'box looks ready for the occasional (inside) delivery of cinder blocks and lead ingots!

Back when I was a teen, I was coming home from a party driving my trusty ol' '64 Chevy when I veered off the road (I was s-faced) and snapped off this mailbox on about a 3" steel pole. Pole went up in the air and came down on the windshield leaving a pipe-sized inprint directly in front of the driver... With limited funds and limited windshield availability, that was the end of that $75 special...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 06-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Maine-iac

Send a message via MSN to akabull

"The best comprise I have seen in this situation is the post behind the ditch and the box on a long arm reaching over the ditch."

This my setup. However, mine had to be set back about 14' from the edge of the pavement due to buried telephone lines. My solution was to sink a 2x4 steel beam (think pallet racking horizontal member) as deep as the rented post hole digger would go (approx. 4') then weld another 10' 2x4 beam to that one pointing toward the road with a cross brace. At this point I am still 4' fropm pavement. I took an 8' P.T. 2x4 (wood) and bolted it to the top of the steel beam at the very end. SO the end result is a mailbox at the proper height and setback that when hit with the snow plow just swings out of the way. When I go down to shovel out access for the mail driver I simply swing it back into place. Works beautifully. I also incorporated a flower box and a place for SWMBO to hang her seasonal flags. I have a 36" saw blade that fits prefect in the triangle made by the post, arm and crossbrace that I want to get someone with a CNC plasma to cut our family name into....someday.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Over the Top

Beautiful work Jen.

I've been in a dispute with the postmaster myself. When we went to rural delivery instead of a P.O. Box, I wanted to put in on my side of the road. She told me no they wanted on the other side due to the route the delivery person makes. I have plenty of room on my side that they could circle behind it if needed. So I had to make an extra long reach arm to cross the ditch on that side.

Well, now the postmaster wants me to pull my post (4' down and 3 bags of concrete) and box up and move to my side of the road because the county pulls all the sand up to that side of the road and filled the ditch in and now the delivery person is complaining that they almost get stuck if it gets to dry or gets to wet.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Maine-iac

Send a message via MSN to akabull

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEC View Post
Beautiful work Jen.

I've been in a dispute with the postmaster myself. When we went to rural delivery instead of a P.O. Box, I wanted to put in on my side of the road. She told me no they wanted on the other side due to the route the delivery person makes. I have plenty of room on my side that they could circle behind it if needed. So I had to make an extra long reach arm to cross the ditch on that side.

Well, now the postmaster wants me to pull my post (4' down and 3 bags of concrete) and box up and move to my side of the road because the county pulls all the sand up to that side of the road and filled the ditch in and now the delivery person is complaining that they almost get stuck if it gets to dry or gets to wet.

My reply would be: "You made your bed, now lie in it!"
Old 06-24-2012, 12:32 AM
SFT Historian

I think the drawing digr posted in this link is a good idea.
http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...4&postcount=13
Old 06-24-2012, 01:46 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Few years back some kid hit a homemade mailbox with a bat, needless to say
the mailbox won the engagement. The kids parents, took the kid down to the
Sheriff's office to lodge a complaint, so the story leaks out what was going on
but the Sheriff's deputies say they need corroborating statements to do any-
thing about it the more statements the better, one person's word is not good
enough. So the kid and his parents get the other kids (all minors) down to the
station with their parents and get written statements about them and all the
mailboxes they smashed the route they were on, etc.

Idiots, they were not statements they wrote was their confessions. Nothing
like making it easy on the cops. Well when it went to court the Judge could
not stop laughing. The kids all got vandalism, damage to personal property,
and several other charges IIRC 4 or 5 charges total. They also had to pay for
and replace every mailbox they destroyed. I heard the total for posts, and
mailboxes was around $10,000. The Judge made the parents pay for the
materials and the kids did the work under a Deputy's supervison and the parents
also paid for the cop's OT.

I heard this from my neighbor, he was the Judge...

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 06-24-2012, 08:28 AM
Da Chief

Now THATS a mailbox!

A break away swing mount would seem,to me, to be the way to go, but your county guys might want sumptin' differnt.

Nice work. (as usual...)

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?