Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
Why not just BUY a proper I-beam ?
Quote:
Even scrap is sold by the pound, so buying (2) channels over (1) beam
will probably come out awash.

Plus, no welding or warping.
Totally agree. A beam heavy enough to support the weight is going to have a single web whereas going with channels means you end up with two webs. A properly sized beam is likely going to weigh less than two channels. At the very least it will be the same weight and, as Doug says, you've got no futzing around to put the channels together. A no brainer to me...

Just a quick edit to point out that we've found from experience that the correct way to join two channels back to back is--in addition to welding the top and bottom--you need to cut alternating holes in the webs and plug weld the channels together. Welding the outer edges only doesn't give you as much strength...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 04-24-2020, 08:39 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Why not just BUY a proper I-beam ?
The reason is the roof rafters are attached to the joist at a two feet overhang. It would complicate and dirty up the system if I use a random beam mixed in with the channels.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:44 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Just a quick edit to point out that we've found from experience that the correct way to join two channels back to back is--in addition to welding the top and bottom--you need to cut alternating holes in the webs and plug weld the channels together. Welding the outer edges only doesn't give you as much strength...
I was already planning to do just that, thank you.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:57 AM
Lord of the Minions

Threepiece, yes, like D D said it will move once released, but it can be straightened with heat and dashed cold water spray. Without pressing etc

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-30-2020, 08:24 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Threepiece, yes, like D D said it will move once released, but it can be straightened with heat and dashed cold water spray. Without pressing etc
Yes, I see but 8 pieces 16 feet long is a bit (notice I said “bit”) too much. I would like to try it and learn something but I can’t afford a potentially serious diversion on this barn. It is way over budget on both time and money.

I have actually ambiguously named it the Forever Barn.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:08 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
Yes, I see but 8 pieces 16 feet long is a bit (notice I said “bit”) too much. I would like to try it and learn something but I can’t afford a potentially serious diversion on this barn. It is way over budget on both time and money.

I have actually ambiguously named it the Forever Barn.
Do you have a picture or a sketch of what you have and what you want to accomplish? I've been working with structural steel for quite a few years now. Maybe I can give you some suggestions.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:25 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
Do you have a picture or a sketch of what you have and what you want to accomplish? I've been working with structural steel for quite a few years now. Maybe I can give you some suggestions.
Gosh, I appreciate your offer but I’m not sure I need any at this point. I’m almost ready to pull the trigger on steel purchase.

I have been designing a barn for four years. I have made 1:10 scale drawings of three different barns. The picture below is the third one, I have been working on it for two years.

It is rather complicated because it is two story with high capacity second floor with integrated drive up ramp. It also has an integrated car port on the front that supports three cable hoists which control three swing up bay doors. To further complicate matters I am building this in my shop here in Mi. but am transporting it 300 miles to a remote area of Oh. as a prefab bolt together kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7AEE9DBB-D540-4339-BAD3-0F5193BE75D1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	155842  

Old 04-30-2020, 07:49 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
Gosh, I appreciate your offer but I’m not sure I need any at this point. I’m almost ready to pull the trigger on steel purchase.

I have been designing a barn for four years. I have made 1:10 scale drawings of three different barns. The picture below is the third one, I have been working on it for two years.

It is rather complicated because it is two story with high capacity second floor with integrated drive up ramp. It also has an integrated car port on the front that supports three cable hoists which control three swing up bay doors. To further complicate matters I am building this in my shop here in Mi. but am transporting it 300 miles to a remote area of Oh. as a prefab bolt together kit.
Amazing! I sincerely applaud you for the effort you have put into that!

You are doing something related to what I earn a paycheck doing these days. I'm a steel detailer. Anything from simple handrails to giant industrial facilities, spiral stairs, you name it.

The offer still stands - if anything comes up feel free to ask.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:26 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
Amazing! I sincerely applaud you for the effort you have put into that!

You are doing something related to what I earn a paycheck doing these days. I'm a steel detailer. Anything from simple handrails to giant industrial facilities, spiral stairs, you name it.

The offer still stands - if anything comes up feel free to ask.
Well thank you, most of my family, friends and possibly some who have read my threads think I am insane.

A “Steel Detailer” I like the way that sounds as I like both steel and details! Thanks for the offer of advice, I might need it yet.