Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 03-11-2019, 01:03 AM
Elite Member

I use both styles of holders.. My TG-100 collet hold things so tight, it's hard to remove the end mills,etc.. Have to remove the #40 taper to get them out half the time.. Movement is not a issue, lack of it is..
Old 03-11-2019, 01:51 PM
Something's Fishy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
By all means give them a try--I think you'll like them. Make your DOC about 2-3X the diameter of the cutter; spin them at 150-300 RPM (depending on cutter dia.); feed them pretty heavy and watch the chips pile up. With a little experimenting you'll quickly find the sweet spot. You can tell you've got it right when the cutter just chugs along with no sign of a struggle and lays down a pile of chips. On a smaller, lighter machine you won't find anything better for mass material removal...
There is nothing like a 1 hp cut with a cobb mill on a 3/4 hp machine to bring forth the magic smoke. as far as slipping between tooling and holders a little silphos makes the tools stay put for ever
A trick i have seen to reduce slipping is to paint the tool shank with a black felt marker and insert it into the holder while wet and tighten it ASAP.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:02 PM
The Real Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
I use both styles of holders.. My TG-100 collet hold things so tight, it's hard to remove the end mills,etc.. Have to remove the #40 taper to get them out half the time.. Movement is not a issue, lack of it is..
Doesn't your collet chuck have a retaining ring that you have to snap your collets into, it opens the collet when removing the cutter.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:18 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Doesn't your collet chuck have a retaining ring that you have to snap your collets into, it opens the collet when removing the cutter.
Has a ring, just tight when I unscrew it a turn.. Just did not want to force stuff too much. It's generally the bigger shanks that cause issues. I am going to swap over from end mill holders on the machine, and try it again to see if it will break free ..
Old 03-11-2019, 04:33 PM
The Real Deal

When I first started using mine I didn't know about the snap ring that holds the collet and had a hell of a time getting stock out of it, I had to take it off and knock it out with a punch.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:07 PM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
Has a ring, just tight when I unscrew it a turn.. Just did not want to force stuff too much. It's generally the bigger shanks that cause issues. I am going to swap over from end mill holders on the machine, and try it again to see if it will break free ..

That first turn or so takes the slack out. When it tightens up, is when the nut is preparing to pop the collet loose. Sometimes I’ve even seen a tap with a hammer on the wrench be needed to crack it loose.

If you need both hands, put a piece of wood or plastic under the cutter, as they will sometimes fall out when it pops.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 03-11-2019, 08:44 PM
Elite Member

My collets are brand new, so maybe they are a bit tight.. I put a bit of lube on the cap, and tried it again, broke free this time.. Just did not want to beat on the old girl..

I am mostly using it with annular cutters, and nice option to have..Although I do have a Nitto Kohki auto mag drill too.. It only goes up to 1-3/8 X2 " The mill will swing a monster bit.. Kicking butt on the Amazon cutters.. Like a 2"X3" USA made carbide for $20.85 About $200.00 anywhere else on the web.. I am still careful handling them and make sure thy don't drop out.. Even though it's only $20.00 not too many deals on those..