Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 11-19-2018, 12:25 AM
Something's Fishy ...

How many conductors in the 220 receptacle?
I have not been to your place since you got the mill so I am not sure were it is
in the main shop or in the sea can with the lathe. IIRC the power is in the sea can with the compressor in it so it would be more difficult to pull a 4 wire cct across to the second can.
What you have works from the power side but can cause a ground loop problem which is a whole nother can of worms.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:42 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
How many conductors in the 220 receptacle?
I have not been to your place since you got the mill so I am not sure were it is
in the main shop or in the sea can with the lathe. IIRC the power is in the sea can with the compressor in it so it would be more difficult to pull a 4 wire cct across to the second can.
What you have works from the power side but can cause a ground loop problem which is a whole nother can of worms.
3 conductors red, black,green. I know I could feed it your way by tapping one side to neutral, Inspector told me he frowns on that. I have done it on the hyd press, and his attitude is that anything that is plugged in, he will not worry about as long as the plug and breaker is to code. Anything plugged in is an appliance to him.
Mill is with the lathe. It has its own sub panel with #10 wire running to the main breaker panel to feed the mill and the lights.
Lathe is on another sub panel which also feeds the welders.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott

Last edited by Ironman; 11-19-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:41 PM
Something's Fishy ...

I think we have a communications issue A sub panel is a load center that accepts breakers. it would be fed by a four conductor wire Red Black White and Green.
A dryer receptacle wired to such a panel provides all required voltages with only one ground wire.
A three wire 240 VAC receptacle such as a welding receptacle provides red,black and green for a 240 volt machine such as a welder it does not provide a proper way to get 120 VAC Because using the ground as a current carrying return is potentially lethal if you develop a groung fault problem.
using a separate 120 VAC circuit for the controls means that you have two ghreen wires from the common distribution point to the mill they make a shorted loop that can have very large currents flowing through it because it becomes effectively a shorted transformer secondary.
The primary is the current carrying conductors is any or all wires in the loop.
In theory the magnetic fields generated by the current carrying conductors cancel exactly In practice it is close but not perfect and that uncancelled magnetic field will induce a voltage into the ground loop which will be converted to heat in the ground wire.THe magnitude of the induced current is pretty unpredictable and usualy quite low but it can be large enough to get the smaller cross section portion hotter that the wires temperature rating.
This can happen at any time it is not dependent on the machine or the power feeds using power.
The simplest way to eliminate this possible problem is to disconnect the smaller ground wire that feeds the control section . Then confirm with an ohm meter that you still have a low resistance connection from the machine to the disconnected ground wire. this breaks the loop but still provides proper safety grounding to the machine.
If you do not have that low resistance when the second ground is disconnected you have a dangerous wiring issue that need to be corrected.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
I think we have a communications issue A sub panel is a load center that accepts breakers. it would be fed by a four conductor wire Red Black White and Green.
That is correct. And how I did it. I thought you were asking about the wiring from the plug to the VFD.
I could disconnect the ground and do as you suggested, but I forgot to mention there is another path to ground which I have no intention of changing. The whole machine sits on a 1/4" thick plate that is part of the sea can floor frame which is welded to the screw piles going into the ground. The screw piles are accepted by the electrical inspector as my ground for the electric panel.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott

Last edited by Ironman; 11-19-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:47 PM

And while we're at it, I recently re-wired and upgraded the daughter and SIL's house panel to 125 amp from 60 amp and moved it to the basement.
It was a bit hairy as I had to do it live without pulling the meter. They did not want me to break the meter seal.
When I was done, they are all happy that the lights are brighter and the frig has quit making noise and runs quiet.
The voltage is where it is supposed to be, never checked it prior, and the wiring was quite "unusual" but nothing that should have caused the conditions that they say have improved.
So I wonder what I did that changed things.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:55 PM
Kibble King

Send a message via AIM to OldRedFord Send a message via Yahoo to OldRedFord

As far as the drill press it's a 21" Cincinnati Bickford super service drill press. Later model with the square collum. Actually bought it from one of the metalworking YouTube guys down in south Georgia. Need to go pick it up.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:16 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRedFord View Post
As far as the drill press it's a 21" Cincinnati Bickford super service drill press. Later model with the square collum. Actually bought it from one of the metalworking YouTube guys down in south Georgia. Need to go pick it up.
This may give you some info. Manual is available too.

You want a friend in Washington? Get a dog.
Harry S. Truman
Old 11-20-2018, 09:44 AM
Kibble King

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
This may give you some info. Manual is available too.

That would be the exact drill. I've followed Keiths channel for a few years. I had messaged him about a shaper I had seen on Craigslist and he offed me that drill.

I think it's way ahead of the older Cincinnati I have.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:31 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRedFord View Post
That would be the exact drill. I've followed Keiths channel for a few years. I had messaged him about a shaper I had seen on Craigslist and he offed me that drill.

I think it's way ahead of the older Cincinnati I have.
I would love to find one like that around here.

You want a friend in Washington? Get a dog.
Harry S. Truman
Old 12-15-2018, 06:30 PM
Kibble King

Went and picked up the drill from Keith Rucker today. Got to check out his shop. I like the Carlton radial drill he has that replaced this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181215_155206786_HDR.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	148478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181215_154647277.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	148479