Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 03-12-2019, 10:13 PM

Default Advice on latest project

Ok guys I am just learning about welding and buying my equipment to get me started on the basics.But I have some problems to get started so I want to build my dad a steel grill and have it ready for him on his 60th birthday it’s a preety big event and I have a lot of pressure to get this done even if it requires assistance.When it comes down to it I found the material has to be 16g galvanized tubular steel.The whole frame is going to be 7ft length not sure on width.I have pictures of this frame and it’s exactly what I want to build.What do you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	90BEF40F-2116-485A-8F3A-A8DD852BD0C7.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	149906   Click image for larger version

Name:	9FF528A6-316E-4CD2-92D6-5D92FF325325.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	149907   Click image for larger version

Name:	F4179365-B4CC-473A-90A8-B84A46378FAA.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	149908   Click image for larger version

Name:	C859E536-01EF-4199-ABF7-3082AC84631A.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	149909   Click image for larger version

Name:	ECEA4C2C-72B0-40D9-BC09-2FE0F6817A3B.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	149910  

Old 03-12-2019, 10:48 PM
Auction Addict

Have you welded on galvanized steel before?

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 03-12-2019, 10:52 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontiersteeltx View Post
When it comes down to it I found the material has to be 16g galvanized tubular steel.
I think you might want to re-think your material choice or at least be sure you're set up to protect yourself from the fumes.

Read this thread: Galvanize

Everybody on this forum has probably welded at least a little bit of galvanized steel at some point but they were aware of the risks or they learned pretty quickly.
Since you're just getting started I expect you don't have protective equipment for it.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 03-12-2019, 11:10 PM

What size of galvanize steel rods do you think this is looking by the photos.I am trying my hardest to find just exactly the prices here in west Texas.I have never welded galvanized but I really want to make this grill because my dad likes to bbq and cook different types of stuff.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Have you welded on galvanized steel before?
Bo I have not is it flammable everyone says it’s “dangerous”
Old 03-13-2019, 12:30 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontiersteeltx View Post
Bo I have not is it flammable everyone says it’s “dangerous”
Quite simply, the fumes will kill you; at the very least you can be very ill. And, never mind the fumes from welding it, if this frame is for a barbecue and there's any possibility it will get hot you don't want to use it for any reason. Mild steel or stainless is your friend here...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 03-13-2019, 12:43 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Yep Galvanized steel is for sure the worst choice of material to use for this project... Sound like you really like your pops so do yourself a favor and start over with proper and much less dangerous material especial if you going to be cooking on it, it will poison you and your pops...

Something not mentioned here you will figure out in the Galvanized threat is many of us who learned the hard way is still having lasting health damage from welding it even when we use proper gear that failed or the wind just kept it around us...

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-13-2019, 12:54 AM

Well damn now I’m starting to think galvanized is not a good choice I could of sworn this was standard industry practice.Because if you see the outdoor kitchen frames out there most use galvanized.The issue with building a kitchen frame is HEAT,mold,flames.Its highly recommended to cut out vents every 6 feet because inside the frame which will be permanently covered with concrete board and cement the temps can reach hundreds of degrees IF there are multiple top burners.But even with 1 burner like a 30 inch grill which I plan to do I was thinking it can reach maybe 200 degrees or so.I don’t think this will be a negative factor when adding vents and having a stainless steel grill not making contact.Is the actual steel flammable? I think we are blowing this out of proportion.

Again this is standard industry practice in no professional but I have seen how these grills are done.But I’m not sure if I am ok with welding with fumes I don’t plan on losing the last few brain cells I already have.

Last edited by frontiersteeltx; 03-13-2019 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:33 AM
Blast this!

If galvanize it is done post welding .I would lean more toward stainless or powder coat the frame after assembly . Be sure and tell powder coater it will be UV exposed . There are some tricks there . I just removed the stuff on screwups . Several here can tell you the fun of that .
Old 03-13-2019, 06:47 AM
Made From Scratch

Even if you wear a proper respirator and the fumes don't get you, every single joint you weld is still going to rust because to get good welds you have to grind the galvanizing off, or at the very least run hot enough to burn through it.

You will be much better off to buy bare steel tubing, it will be cheaper and easier to find. Then you can use high temp paint on it after the welding is done. All of your joints will be protected and you won't run any health risks.

The only time I work with galvanized steel is when I am repairing something that was already galvanized, I would never willingly start a project with galvanized metal because there are tons of risks and absolutely no benefit. The project will still require rust protection when you are done as every cut, grind mark, and weld will still be bare metal.