Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 10-25-2018, 03:54 PM
Auction Addict

Default Lathe Spider

This spider is for the outboard end of the lathe to hold long small diameter rod from whipping around. Used the lathe index drill jig to drill the holes and start the tapping. Coated with boiled linseed oil for rust protection. Tapped for 1/4-20 allen head screws. I will be changing the screws in the pic because the cover that shuts over the gears has a hole that will not work with the allen head cap screws. Have to use internal screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2277.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	147838   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2278.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	147839   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2279.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	147840   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2287.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	147841  

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 10-25-2018, 07:28 PM
Elite Member

I'm sure that will come in handy at times. It will be good for production feeding.

This made me think of an incident I witnessed several years ago. A man whom I knew fairly well was attempting to turn a piece of 1" diameter aluminum rod. About two feet of rod was sticking out of the outer end of the spindle when he turned on the machine. As some of you might have guessed the spindle speed was set too high for the set-up and the protruding rod was separated from the centrifugal force. The rod had enough energy to tear through a nearby wire mesh gate.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:26 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

I wanted to build a spider for my lathe a few years back, but I managed to avoid the job. The one time I needed it, I drilled a hole in a potatoe and slid it down the rod and mashed it into the back of the headstock.

I know it's crude.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 10-26-2018, 09:39 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I wanted to build a spider for my lathe a few years back, but I managed to avoid the job. The one time I needed it, I drilled a hole in a potatoe and slid it down the rod and mashed it into the back of the headstock.

I know it's crude.
Creative not crude.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 10-26-2018, 10:04 AM
I can dig it

I usually jam a rag in around the stock to fill the gap.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 10-26-2018, 12:55 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
...I know it's crude...
Ya think?

Did you at least use and Alberta potato?

It's a sad fact but few lathes actually have any provision on the outboard end of the tailstock for attaching a spider or other device--on a lot of them the stub that protudes is so short that it's hard to attach anything. I made something similar for mine but it is designed to hold a piece of cold finished that is threaded for a 3/8-16 bolt in one end. I use it as a chuck stop when machining multiple pieces of the same length.

For supporting long pieces that stick out the end of the tailstock I've made up a few different bushings out of UHMW that just plug into the end of the tailstock. I should make something like what Chris has but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'd also make it with 4 screws instead of 3--makes it much easier to true something up if you're actually dialing it in. For extreme accuracy gunsmiths will often use 4-point spiders on both ends of the chuck.

A potato? Really? Sighhhhhhh...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 10-26-2018, 06:49 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Ya think?

Did you at least use and Alberta potato?

A potato? Really? Sighhhhhhh...
What can I say, it worked....besides, I like potatoes
I mean, I could have used a beet, i can't think of any other use for them, and it would be messy.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 10-27-2018, 07:25 AM
Elite Member

Quote:

I know it's crude.
Wasting food

Just kidding. I have never heard of a spider before. You learn something new everyday.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:49 AM
Elite Member

Haven't built a spider but made a "cat head" like that (4 screws) for the other side of the headstock. :-) I always just used a support and wrapped a piece of cloth or some wire around the stickout to keep it in place. When I've needed to support a long bar it's usually 6 or 8 ft long . :-) Maybe not quite that long. :-)
...lew...
Old 10-27-2018, 12:31 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
...Haven't built a spider but made a "cat head" like that (4 screws) for the other side of the headstock...
The terms "spider" and "cathead" are "somewhat" interchangeable but I tend to think of a spider as having 4 screws while a cathead is usually longer and has 8 screws. This allows you to dial a workpiece in very accurately--they're commonly used in gunsmithing applications...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SA Mandrel 8.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	147867  

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?