Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 11-18-2017, 09:25 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Looks interesting. One question, will it matter a lot as to getting them under the axle if you have a flat tire? The axle would be 4-6” lower. I should think about some for my trailers. Probably at least one custom size for each trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
I am putting a layer of conveyor belting on the bottom of mine so they will reduce any sliding. I am planning on lifting the tire just 1" to 1 1/2" off the ground. They should work for a flat tire even when 4" lower. You can also place a 2x6 under them to get greater height if needed. Like the video shows they start at an angle and go to vertical.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 11-18-2017, 09:32 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcord View Post
After you them off the ground, you can try this. https://youtu.be/OD8WFiDGx4Q
I got some of the 303 this last summer. Very impressed with it. I plan on using it on all my tires, belts, wipers, etc.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 11-18-2017, 09:38 PM
Standard of Excellence

If you are going to be in dirt you might consider welding some grousers on the bottom.

I like the idea of that 303 conditioner. I wish I could keep tires long enough for UV to be a problem. I usually go through a full set every 12-14 months. I wonder if it would work on windshield wipers. Maybe it will work on my forearms and nose too.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:56 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
If you are going to be in dirt you might consider welding some grousers on the bottom.

I like the idea of that 303 conditioner. I wish I could keep tires long enough for UV to be a problem. I usually go through a full set every 12-14 months. I wonder if it would work on windshield wipers. Maybe it will work on my forearms and nose too.
My trailer is parked on bottom ash from the coal fired power plant a few miles from my house. No dirt in it. Works good on my wipers. Not sure if it is skin friendly.

Woodrow Wilson
Old 11-19-2017, 08:20 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I like the idea of that 303 conditioner. I wish I could keep tires long enough for UV to be a problem. I usually go through a full set every 12-14 months. I wonder if it would work on windshield wipers.

They claim it will reduce wear, and that it is good on wipers. I'm going to give it a try.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:05 PM
Auction Addict

Got some more work done on them today. Would have got more, but the grandkids were here for the weekend so had Grandpa duties. Laid out and cut some gussets. Tacked one up with what I had. Have another gusset to add on the lower curve to the upper gusset. Wind was cutting today with 30-40 gusts. Makes working outside a PITA. Supposed to be less wind tomorrow and no grandkids either. I did put the drill stem back one inch as you suggested Walker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1600.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	142195   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1601.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	142196   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1602.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	142197  

Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by milomilo; 11-19-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:45 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

I like the idea, but I wonder about stability to a crosswind or other side thrust.

For flat tires I always carry a timber for my trailer as the damn 20 ton jack will not fit under the axle if there is a flat. Throw down the timber and pull the trailer ahead so the tire is onto the 4x6 and then put the jack, or in your case, the Trestle jack, under it.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 11-19-2017, 08:11 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I like the idea, but I wonder about stability to a crosswind or other side thrust.

For flat tires I always carry a timber for my trailer as the damn 20 ton jack will not fit under the axle if there is a flat. Throw down the timber and pull the trailer ahead so the tire is onto the 4x6 and then put the jack, or in your case, the Trestle jack, under it.
I expect that my trailer will be stable with the jacks because I will also have the 4 corners stabilizer jacks down all winter which should keep any side winds in control. My parking spot here for the trailer is sloped slightly down hill so the trestle jacks will be put in from the rear of the trailer and backed into. That way the bottom flat side of the jack will be down hill so no propensity for the trailer to roll off the jack. For changing a tire, I will only have one jack on one axle, so should be as stable as a hydraulic jack.

Woodrow Wilson
Old 11-20-2017, 02:18 AM
Lord of the Minions

Chris, I've never used one of these axle lifts, although I could/should say I've been one lucky guy when it comes to trailering a load any distance, never had a flat or blowout on a trailer.

I've never held the manf'd ones, or seen one in person except in pics or of late online.

Like said, possibly due in one way to my having spent way too much money on hd trailer tires and not letting things get too old etc. Not that I'm well off by any means, but I do not put old tires on a trailer. Hell, even the spares are new/fresh. I've had flats but only at the farm and empty while it was sitting. Mostly due to a slow leak etc.

Guess I should thank my lucky stars for that.

With this type of jack, doesn't it have to be made to fit your particular axle height or are they akin to one height fits all?

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 11-20-2017, 02:33 PM
Auction Addict

They are somewhat universal size wise. You can always add a two by to roll on to by to get extra height if needed. These same jacks should work well on my flatbed trailer too. After doing a test fit I see I need to make an adjustment. I moved the drill stem back one inch and that threw the geometry out of wack.

The distance C to C of the axle saddle height and the end of the curved section height is the same. It needs to be between 1 1/2" - 2" shorter from the saddle and the end of the curved piece. Easy fix since one is only tacked. Gusset length on the curved end will need to be shortened.

Weather report changed yesterday evening from 13 mph to 30 - 40 mph today. Guess that means slow progress. I did get the saddles welded to the drill stem this morning today. I heated the drill stem ends to dull red and let them cool slowly to take out the magnetism and work hardening. Made welding go real well.

Woodrow Wilson

Last edited by milomilo; 11-21-2017 at 01:12 PM.