Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 01-25-2015, 11:48 PM
Auction Addict

Default Torch Circle Cutter

Made a circle cutter for the O/A torch. Added a feature that none of the ones I have seen have. It has a roller out at the end of the torch next to the tip that maintains a set distance from the material being cut. I have had the typical ones where you put the cutting tip in a hole but they are often hard to control the tip to material distance causing angled cuts on thicker plate.

The materials used were 18" 1/2 round, two 1" rounds, one 2" 1/4-20 bolt, two 1" 1/4-20 bolts, a #10 fender washer, 2" 5/16-18 bolt, 5/8" nut and a 2" 10-24 screw.

The 1" rounds were drilled through to 1/2" to slide on the 1/2" round. They were drilled and tapped for the 1/4-20 bolts, and the rear one also drilled and tapped for the 2" 1/4-20 bolt with the head cut off the then ground to a 45 degree point to set in the center punched mark at the center of the desired circle diameter.

The 5/16-18 bolt had the head cut off and the threaded end had a hacksaw slot cut for the #10 fender washer. A hole was drilled for the #10 screw as the axle for the fender washer to spin on. The 5/8" nut was drilled to 5/8" fit my Victor tip.

Hopefully the pics will explain better than the words. I did cut 4 12" circles out of 1/8" plate for the grinder today with it. Worked great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PTDC0419.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	121670   Click image for larger version

Name:	PTDC0418.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	121671   Click image for larger version

Name:	PTDC0422.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	121672   Click image for larger version

Name:	PTDC0429.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	121673   Click image for larger version

Name:	PTDC0430.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	121674  

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 01-26-2015, 11:05 PM

I like your roller addition....... I don't remember seeing that on other versions either. It should help in consistent spacing/standoff of the torch and ease in movement through the cut.
Nice project..
Old 01-26-2015, 11:38 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleD View Post
I like your roller addition....... I don't remember seeing that on other versions either. It should help in consistent spacing/standoff of the torch and ease in movement through the cut.
Nice project..
It will do as you say, but my main reason was to able to thick plate and have a consistent 90 degree cut edge.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 01-27-2015, 08:05 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

I bought this torch circle burner a few years back.
Note it says Victor style circle cutter,my mistake, thought it fit a Victor.

Well, I never found a Victor torch it would screw onto. So it sat there shiny and new and useless. I needed a circle burner one day and I thought.....I have a lathe and you are going to work.
So I put the nut from the circle burner into the lathe and cut the threads out to match the Victor threads in my Victor torch, and it works very well now.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 01-27-2015, 08:20 AM
Over the Top

Chris,
I like the addition of the wheel. I need to make me one also.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:21 PM
Elite Member

I bought this one shortly after I got the PM45

http://www.flangewizard.com/products140.html

I was gonna make one but didn't think about fender washers for wheels - nice one

The offset trammel point helps with really small circles, as does the 1/4-20 hardware - for smaller circles (the rod is about 16" long IIRC) I just cut the head off a 1/4" bolt and used that for a rod.

I lucked out and got it off Amazon on a one-day sale for just under half of normal price, don't remember exacly how much (around $50).

They're kinda spendy at regular price http://www.amazon.com/Flange-Wizard-...2378761&sr=1-7

If/when I need to cut circles/radii out of thicker than 1", I'll do a bushing that fits inside the 1" for the PM45 torch - I like that the bushing can either lock down or spin in the holder... Steve