Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 08-29-2013, 10:52 PM
Elite Member

Default New to me Kubota B7100

I just had a reason to read thru all of Jen's thread on her little Snoop Kubota. I brought home a little Kubota B7100 tonight with a front end loader. I've wanted a Kubota for many years now, but always had sticker shock. This one came up and I snatched it up, pretty much site unseen, (I seen it in the weeds at a friend's house earlier yesterday while looking at his broken and bent up 3 pt disc for his ford tractor that I am going to repair for him). He came over to my house later, and some how the kubota came up and he said he was about to scrap it! He said it runs good, but the front wheel drive does not work. He replaced the ring and pinon, but is grinding again, and will not dig any dirt in 2 wheel drive. He is tired of messing with it, and bought a different tractor, so this one has to go. Less that 24 hours later, it was on my trailer!

It does need a little TLC, but I think there is potential here. It seems that the brakes are dragging, but not positive of that yet. Might be the front diff. is binding up. I think the clutch needs adjustment. It wants to slightly move when put in gear while clutch is depressed. Or it might need clutch rebuilding. The three point hitch seeps down by itself, but there is a rod that is bent on the handle. Hopefully by straightening that, it will cure that problem. He had put on new front tires last year, and rebuilt one lift cylinder on the FEL.
Hopefully, Maybe I will be able to get the front wheel drive to work without too much trouble or expense, But if not, I think some ballast weight in the back or on or in the rear tires should help the FEL do some work. I am already dreaming of several attachments to make for it. A little back hoe would be sweet! And I plan on adding hooks to the bucket like Jen did!
Oh ya, I did pay him quite a bit more than scrap value. He probably would have got about $100, but I gave him $500. I think I have room to put a little time and $ into it.

Anyone have any good lead on a Owners/ service manual. I am looking online, but just starting to scratch the surface.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130829 kubota 001.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	108991   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130829 kubota 002.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	108992   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130829 kubota 003.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	108993   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130829 kubota 004.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	108994   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130829 kubota 005.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	108995  

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 08-30-2013, 12:21 AM
Maine-iac

Send a message via MSN to akabull

Ummm.......YOU SUCK!

Awesome find! Consider me jealous. $500 is dirt cheap, even if it does need a little TLC.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:15 AM

If you don't know about it now, go to tractorbynet . http://tractorbynet.com/.
You should be able to find out everything you need to know from this site.
Al
Old 08-30-2013, 06:54 AM
Elite Member

You suck is right! Man you didn't even pay for the tires at 500! The FEL would/should bring more than that by itself. You have a good start there, go through it. Make it right then take care of it and bet you never cuss the day you bought it.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:32 AM
Sorcerer's Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
You suck is right! Man you didn't even pay for the tires at 500! The FEL would/should bring more than that by itself.
I was just thinking the same thing. You Suck!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:41 AM
Sultan of Scrounge

Good score. One good thing about Kubota is the parts availability. I have a 80s model L185DT and you can still get parts. I would suggest getting a shop manual before you dive into the front end. It will save you time and agony. Shouldn't be too hard to fix especially with the new gears.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:03 AM

Even with all the ailments, it's still a great snag!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:42 AM
Chairman of the Headboard

You do have a pretty nice "you suck" going on there. As a compact tractor owner, I will share, that thing will totally function without the front axle pulling in every capacity, except pulling implements through the ground, like a middle buster, cultivator, plow, etc. I dont care how much weight you throw on the ass of it. It also will not do well in mud, but thats pretty obvious with anything, and Im not sure how much sand you have at your place, they may be a factor too. The tractor just does not weigh enough.

Ive owned a Ford 1100 which is really comparable to your 1700 in size and weight, it was 4x4, without the 4 wheel drive, it was worthless for pulling much. It would even slip pulling the rototiller through the dirt in 2wd, same for working a small box blade, doing barn and stable cleaning work.

The 4x4 is also important if you have the bucket loaded heavy, when the ass gets light, the rear tires will spin, thus, without the 4x4, "tractor no movy" Ive got a JD790, about a 1/3rd bigger (with factor weight kit on it), without the 4x4, its a mower. Ive also got a 50hp case 380b, that is VERY heavy, is only 2wd, but has enough weight to bring the front tires of the ground, if you snag something good with whatever your pulling.

Basically, the compacts are so light, they just dont get-r-done without the 4x4. Even then, you will find yourself spinning all 4 on dry dirt when pulling an implement through the ground. So work on getting the front axle working, you will need it at some point.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Elite Member

Yep, I smell a "You Suck"!! Nice snag. I agree with the manual needed.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:25 AM
there has to be an answer

That's a definite you suck. I look forward to the re-hab.