Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 01-29-2006, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texrednek
McCracken? Im sure I can summon him if you wish
I for one wish you would..................we miss him here on SFT.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:29 PM
Still on Ritalin

Send a message via Yahoo to texrednek

Ill see what I can do...I know hes been pretty busy last I talked to him....See whats going on...

IF IT CATCHES...Let it burn
Old 01-31-2006, 03:46 PM
jfsmith

For doing smaller work, like very fine rods, I use both hands to guide the rod. Some of the bigger ones I freehand, everything in between I just do what needs to be done and change as needed.

Jerry

Last edited by jfsmith; 01-31-2006 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:01 PM
Big Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMTatham
I for one wish you would..................we miss him here on SFT.
JT always had a good answer for about any question. It would be nice if he was back.
Jeff
Old 02-09-2006, 10:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to tpntx

I've had my gas powered AC welder for a couple of years now. I've yet to be shocked and I don't understand why. I have accidently touched a work piece with my bare skin while welding. Maybe it was because the other end of me wasn't grounded.

As far as holding the rod while welding. I quit doing it. I just thought "well you idiot why not just stick your tongue to it" Reading this post made me feel a little better about those times I used that technique.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:13 PM
set phasers to .50 caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpntx
I've yet to be shocked and I don't understand why. I have accidently touched a work piece with my bare skin while welding. Maybe it was because the other end of me wasn't grounded.
The electricity already had a much better path to get back to the welder. Remember, a welding circuit isn't looking for "ground." That's why the misnomer of "ground clamp" causes confusion. It's a "work clamp" and it can be any polarity, depending on the process. The welding current wants to go back to the machine. If you touch the weldment, why would the electricity want to go through you and then the ground to get back to the machine, when you already had a welding cable connected to it? Now if you hold the work clamp in one hand and touch the weldment with the other, we have a whole different story...
Old 03-07-2006, 11:02 PM

My take on touching the rod- 3 words:

Open Circuit Voltage!!!

On my Stickmate, for example: OCV= approximately 80 volts!

Welding voltage: ~20-22 volts, give or take...

Now, why are some people afraid to touch the electrode when it's flowing an arc with 20something volts, but thought absolutely nothing of it to touch the very same electrode just a moment earlier while putting it into the stinger with 80 Raging Volts in there just waiting to find the shortest and easiest path to ground?

Think about it!!!

BY FAR the biggest risk in touching the electrode while welding is setting your glove on fire...

If you're gonna get shocked, it will be while CHANGING ELECTRODES!

Just my opinion...

Old 03-07-2006, 11:35 PM

Only time that I am shocked is with wet gloves [rain,snow or hot humidity], the solution is proctologists gloves. In normal conditions the rodflux is insulation enough. Two handed on big rod uphand for control is common. Use you other hand as a guide[same as as a bridge cue on a 8 ball table]. Won't work on 308 SS as the rod flux tends to melt off. A good morning shock is sometimes better than a morning coffee. Strictly a DC welder, no buzz boxes. Two handed welding works OK for the AM. shakes after the night before.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:38 PM

the thread that wouldn't die
Three of the cheapest grinders money can buy
Old 03-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Resident Marxist

Just ran across this thread. I've never been shocked welding, not even when running a TIG (knock on wood). The worst I ever got nailed was when I was in Jr High mowing lawns in the summer. I started up my old B&S powered mower without attaching the plug wire. It was arcing across so I thought I'd just reach down and just pull the wire back. After I picked my dumb a** up off the ground I shut it down like I should have.

As to using my left hand while welding I do use it to help support the electrode holder, but not the electrode. Another way to help steady the electrode is to drape the electrode lead over one’s shoulder when possible to reduce the weight on the hand and wrist.

I noticed some comments about carpel tunnel surgery. I've had my right wrist done and trigger finger surgery on both hands. It was quite weird talking to my surgeon while he worked on my wrist. I'm having more trigger finger surgery on my left hand the 16th. Before surgery my hands and wrist were close to useless. Could not grip, pickup, etc. Before carpel surgery it took both hands just to pick up and pour the carafe of water into the coffee maker! I have full use of my right hand and the pain level is much less (I also have osteoarthritis). Right now I can not close my left hand and it gets to the point where I have to just use the two middle fingers on my left hand when keyboarding. Fortunately I weld right handed.

One thing I've found that helps me a lot on the computer is a track ball rather than a mouse. I have a tendency to put a death grip on a mouse and with the tack ball I taught myself to just use the tips of my fingers. Took 10 -15 minutes to learn to use the track ball and I find it easier and faster to use than a mouse.

Stan