Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 09-25-2009, 10:09 PM

Default Miller Syncrowave 250 CC setup

Thanks Cutter!

So my work has a Syncrowave 250. Nobody knows how to use it and I'd like to take that project on.
We also don't have a manual for it but I'm getting one. Can someone suggest settings for all the pretty knobs so I can do some welding experimentation? I'm going at this with the assumption that all settings will need to be set, as only The Shadow knows who has been messing with it.
Can someone post a list of where I should set everything, or is that too big a task?
Thanks, Loren.

edit: by the way, this is for TIG on steel or Al. for practice. The reason I'm wanting to use it is for Al.

Last edited by Loren; 09-25-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:18 PM
SFT Historian

Try downloading the manual from the Miller site.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:20 PM

OH, by the way, to download the manual from the Miller web site you will need to provide the serial number of the welder.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:35 PM
SFT Historian

Try this one.

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o353u_mil.pdf
Old 09-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Gold Star Dad

You want settings for stick or TIG?

Get the correct manual and look over the controls. I could than have my son suggest settings if it's close enough to ours (1997, not the later DX)

A slightly older manual (1993) can be had by using this serial number: KC310293
Old 09-26-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
Try downloading the manual from the Miller site.
I was going to try to get a jump start on it since I didn't have the serial yet. The machine is at least 7 years old.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Gold Star Dad

You don't need to enter a serial number to get the latest version of a manual for a particular model. The link above may be the manual you want.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:23 PM

I see nothing in the manual about which polarity or current to use. E+, E-, or DC? Still talking TIG here, same as first post.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:31 PM

hold up, I found a TIG welding guide at Miller. Lots of questions will be answered there.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:57 AM

Default synchro 250 initial settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
(snipped)

So my work has a Syncrowave 250./Can someone suggest settings for all the pretty knobs so I can do some welding experimentation?/The reason I'm wanting to use it is for Al.
the synchro 250 has several adjustments and settings depending on what you are doing.-1st off,Aluminum requires the big handle switch be set to AC.You'll need to be running a pure tungsten(green band)or zirconiated(brown)tungsten in the torch.Set the arc balance control initially to half-way for 'balanced' output,you can work more with that later.The balance control lets you put more heat into the material or put more heat into removing the oxide layer on the aluminum.Get your work as clean as you can before starting to weld(and DON'T use brake cleaner) What diameter tungsten in the torch are you using? you'll need to set the post-flow knob to match the tungsten size,better to just set it up on 1/8" or so,this just uses a little more gas to cool the tungsten down after welding.If you're using a water cooled torch make sure you have coolant flow and the cooler is working.Your foot pedal(or thumb control)starts the machine(output)and controls the current delivered to the torch(and electrode)so the 'output'switch should be in remote position.Use high frequency start for AC on aluminum.You should be using straight argon(cheaper) or helium(expensive)for thicker material.Let us know how you do with it and come on back if you have more questions.