Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 09-22-2009, 04:08 PM
Cranky Crustacean

Default Sticking trigger on HH125

My HH125 started acting up yesterday. The trigger kept sticking and feeding wire.

I took it all apart and cleaned it up,then reassembled the gun and even sprayed some silicone lubricant on it...Now it sticks sometime instead of every time I pull the trigger.

The trigger seems fine...It just sticks when the gun is assembled. Any tricks to make it operate without sticking? Change out the small spring in the trigger perhaps so there is more pressure against the trigger? Suggested lubricant ?

Thanks for any tips.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:49 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MarkBall2

Make sure you don't have the screws holding the gun together too tight. Sometimes a gun with screws can deform the body in the trigger area & cause a bind. Otherwise, you might try "stretching" the spring about an 1/8", or find a thin washer to place under it to boost the tension.

I've had to learn to use a gentle grip on the trigger, rather than a death grip.

I haven't always been a nurse..........

Hobart Handler 175
Century AC 230 amp stick welder
Chicago Electric 165A DC TIG
Oxy/Acetylene set
Hand/Power tools
Clark 4x6 Bandsaw
Harbor Freight Tubing Roller
Craftsman 12 x 36 lathe
New to me Enco GL-30B Mill/Drill Thank you 1800Miner
Papa Lion's Gate Build

I don't do nuttin half azzed. I phawk it up completely, given half a chance.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Cranky Crustacean

The H9 torch is a slip fit in the front with a twist lock nut at the rear(no screws). I'm not positive why it's malfunctioning all of a sudden,other than the spring tension maybe...I'll see if that fixes the problem. Only other avenue would be a new trigger I guess.

If I'm wearing regular welding gloves the "touch" gets lost and that may be the reason it's sticking since you mentioned it. I should be using my mig gloves instead of the arc welding gloves ( that's what happens when you go from one machine to the other or get too lazy to go find them)
Old 09-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Elite Member

That sounds like my Lincoln Magnum torch. I haven't looked that close at my Hobart one, but I think there are a couple screws where the cable enters the gun. I'll have to look closer............

Just checked my manual, it's the H-10 gun on mine too. Trigger assy looks like it's an assembly that just unplugs. No screws noticed in the drawing either.

Hmmmm, don't know what to tell ya then.

Hobart Handler 175
Oxy/Acetylene set
Hand/Power tools
Clark 4x6 Bandsaw
Craftsman 12 x 36 lathe
Papa Lion's Gate Build

Old 09-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Cranky Crustacean

I was wishing someone else had been having the same problem & had found a solution. Not that I was wishing the same PITA on anyone else,just some insight to the problem.

I'm going to check out the small spring in the trigger...that might be the fix needed for this particular problem. At first I thought it might just be weld spatter in the switch slot,but I cleaned it pretty well and used some 600 grit on the trigger sides to smooth it up before I sprayed it and re-assembled it.... It's some better,but just when you forget about it it starts spewing out wire again.

I'll make sure to update what happens one way or the other in case anyone else finds themselves with a handfull of 12" long pieces of mig wire.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:49 PM
Curmudgeon

Are you sure it's the trigger and not the contacter inside the machine?

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 09-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Cranky Crustacean

Pretty sure Cutter...(I hope it isn't the contactor) I can double click the trigger when it sticks in the housing and watch it pop back out and the feed stops.

I say double click,it's more like force it to come back out of the torch housing by jiggling it and clicking it to get it to release. I think/hope Mark is right about the spring in the trigger switch being weak,which means the spring doesn't have enough tension to push the trigger back out again.If the original can't be adjusted,I've got a collection of small compression springs and might find a replacement in them. That's about all I can figure anyway since I've fiddled around with it a few times and it's still not popping back out like it should.

I was trying to finish a small project at the time before it started raining again,so I rushed thru the procedure of fixing it. It's been raining here almost everyday and I took advantage of the short break.

I might find the time tomorrow at the shop(it's supposed to rain again) to take it back apart and really clean and adjust the trigger with more care than in the heat of the moment like before.

I'll share the results tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:54 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I might find the time tomorrow at the shop(it's supposed to rain again) to take it back apart and really clean and adjust the trigger with more care than in the heat of the moment like before.

I'll share the results tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug-from the blast media thread
Today was projects day I guess... I fixed my HH125 sticking trigger and then loaded the blast cabinet with the "Black Diamond" ......
Awright dammit, so what did you figger out with the trigger and why are you trying to duck out on it?

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 09-24-2009, 01:51 AM
Cranky Crustacean

Well....I thought I posted the results about what happened,but It either didn't register or "I" didn't hit the submit button...Which I've been known to do.

I'll try again...

I took it all apart and polished the red trigger 'til it was slick... I checked the trigger spring,but it appeared to have enough tension to operate the trigger correctly.

When I reassembled the gun it was still sticking... As I examined it I could tell it wasn't sticking along the sides of the trigger...it was sticking at the backend of the trigger. It seems the pin on the front of the red trigger wasn't seating in the handle correctly and was causing just enough pressure to push the trigger back. This was causing the sticking. I very gently used a small screwdriver to pry the trigger toward the gun tip freeing up the binding trigger.

The original problem was probably caused by the age of the unit and as Mark said gripping the trigger too hard. When I took it all apart I assumed it was sticking along the sides of the trigger slot (which was wrong) The amount I had to move the trigger forward to prevent it sticking was tiny & it now functions as it should.

The problem may come back after I use it more,but I at least know what was going on and can fix it by just prying the red trigger forward slightly. It may be just a matter of age and use of the gun that allowed just enough wear that the trigger can slide back in the slot only slightly causing it to bind.

So for now it's fixed... If I had taken more time with it the other day I'd have fixed it then.... The whole procedure only took less than 1/2 an hour & most of that was me polishing the trigger to make it slick(which turned out not to be necessary at all)

Hope this helps others that might run into a similar problem in the future.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Elite Member

might be time to order a new trigger assembly & have on hand in case the original one give up the ghost. I've been known to buy a replacement part & keep it on hand for several years before it ever got used.

Good write up.

Hobart Handler 175
Oxy/Acetylene set
Hand/Power tools
Clark 4x6 Bandsaw
Craftsman 12 x 36 lathe
Papa Lion's Gate Build