Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 08-26-2009, 11:31 PM

Default Bobcat Question

A friend of mine has a Bobcat 225G that has two 240v 15 amp outlets on the front panel. He also has a custom made "Y" pigtail that plugs into both outlets and has a 240v 30 amp outlet on the other end. Is this safe to use to run a Hobart 187 if I change the 30 amp outlet to one that matches the Hobart NEMA 6-50 plug?

He said someone made the "Y" pigtail in order to power a floor waxer or something. He wasn't exactly sure and he said he never used it himself. I don't want to plug it in if it's not a good idea. I don't want to fry my Hobart and I really don't want to do anything to hurt his Bobcat.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bobcat225G.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	50144   Click image for larger version

Name:	dual_plug.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	50145   Click image for larger version

Name:	dual_plug1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	50146   Click image for larger version

Name:	dual_plug2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	50147  
Old 08-26-2009, 11:52 PM

The electricity doesn't follow road signs, It does not know that half the amp draw should go through one plug and the other 15 amps should go through the other, especially when it is "wyed" the way it is. 240 is 240, if the draw gets over 15 it will most likely just pop the breaker on the bobcat. This is as long as the two 240 volt outlets are from the same circuit, which it appears they are. If it is coming from two different circuits then throw that pig tail away, you will blow up your welder. Check the voltage at the 30 amp plug first.
Anyway you look at it is less than optimum and sketchy at best.

"Yes, we did produce a near perfect Republic. But will they keep it? Or will they in their enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the surest way to destruction. Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

Thomas Jefferson

If you spent 1 million dollars every day from the time Christ walked the earth until now, you still would not have spent 1 trillion dollars!
Old 08-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Voice of Experience

Have your camera ready when he tries that..Post them in shop safety...

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 08-27-2009, 08:13 AM

The real danger is when only one side of the pigtail is plugged into a 240 volt 15 amp receptacle, the other male plug is HOT... do I need to say more
Old 08-27-2009, 10:31 AM

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I'll tell him to get rid of the pigtail just in case anyone else considers using it. I'd rather not be posting graphic photos in the Shop Safety forum.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Voice of Experience

David I have the old style BC like he has. The later ser# have a single 240 V 35A outlet. There is a total of 30 amps available on ours using both outlets but not knowing how it's wired I would vote no on the pigtail. Dealing with tricity I always err on the side of caution.

Having said that you could get 30 amps on one outlet if the receptacle and wiring were heavy enough. The Bobus has an 8500 watt rating..

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 08-27-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe1942 View Post
David I have the old style BC like he has. The later ser# have a single 240 V 35A outlet. There is a total of 30 amps available on ours using both outlets but not knowing how it's wired I would vote no on the pigtail. Dealing with tricity I always err on the side of caution.

Having said that you could get 30 amps on one outlet if the receptacle and wiring were heavy enough. The Bobus has an 8500 watt rating..
Thanks for the info Moe. I think Barn Owl nailed it pretty good when he said "sketchy at best." I wish my friend had the other model. It'd be really nice to have a remote option for my Hobart.

I guess I better learn to stick weld after all. I'll start another post with photos of my frankenstein welds. I'm going to try to post more to keep OM happy.