Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 08-27-2009, 06:11 AM
Boiler God

I don't lend them, they don't ask to borrow them, probably my well know warm and fuzzy demeanor. They do come to the door, from time to time, with broken stuff and a puppy dog look on their face, wanting me to fix it. Last week end the next door neighbor, took about 2-1/2 hours to change a light bulb, in the 6 ft tall lamp post in his front yard, you have to remove (8) 10-32 screws to change the bulb, it looked like he was using a butter knife. He said hi, we talked about the dogs and he daughters up coming pool party, but he didn't ask to borrow a proper screw driver, I also didn't offer to give him one. Watching him with the butter knife was pure entertainment.

Jack
Old 08-27-2009, 04:21 PM
I fear I'll do some damage one fine day

Default You think THAT'S bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
it looked like he was using a butter knife. He said hi, we talked about the dogs and he daughters up coming pool party, but he didn't ask to borrow a proper screw driver, I also didn't offer to give him one. Watching him with the butter knife was pure entertainment.

Jack
I have an across-the-street-neighbor who is a retired gym teacher and musician. One day while I was out walking the dog I saw him and his grown son trying to remove a tree (14" trunk) from his front yard using a shovel, prybar, and a backsaw - you know - what you would use with a miterbox! I offered to go home and get my 18" chain saw and cut the tree down for him. He said

"No, this is a bonding experience for my son and me."

It took him about a week to cut the tree down and dig out the stump but he got it done.

A few days ago I saw him lopping the limbs off a fallen pine about 30' long. I again offered to cut it up for him. "No, my son and I will drag the trunk over there against the fence."

I shrugged my shoulders and continued on with the dog. This morning I noticed that they had dragged the trunk which must weigh a few hundred #
over next to the fence. I said to myself

"you'd never know he was crazy just to look at him!"

Nice guy though

DrBob