Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 12-07-2018, 11:23 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetrash View Post
Looking at that pic of the angles butting up to the center member. Easy fix take your torch and trim about 3/16" off that front vertical leg to close that gap up. Trim the flat leg as needed when you draw it in.
As long as you trim them both equally ought to work fine. Sometimes I have used a 3/4" wide piece of 1/8" FB as a backing for a gapped weld joint. If you are careful with the weld temp on the root pass so you do not weld to the backer, you can often just knock it off after welding. Or just weld to it and leave it on.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 12-08-2018, 01:21 PM
Da Chief

Welp, I'm just anal enough to correct that fitup to the tongue.

If I didn't want to give up the length on the side bars, I'd tack the leading edge, top and bottom, trim the tacked side bars parallel to the tongue at the widest gap measurement, weld in a filler piece and get over it. Flip, repete, done.

My little Miller 210 burns in deep when I turn up the amps and slow down the wire feed. 'shipyard weave" on a wide "V" fitment.

My buggy is very similar to yours, but street legal, with a trailer hitch. My little Hobo Freak trailer easily hauls all my ground camping gear, as well as any cloven hooved lead poisoning victims I find. I flipped the axel so the trailer has one more inch of ground clearance than the buggy, (about 15 inches) and added shocks (used VW bug front shocks, to improve the highway ride when loaded.
One 'o these days I'm gonna add a mount for the Hobo Fright jib crane, off the one ton bobtail, to make loading passengers easier......,.

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 12-09-2018, 08:13 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Welp, I'm just anal enough to correct that fitup to the tongue.
After pondering this for a bit, I agree it's sloppy and I too can be anal.

Made a bit of progress today. Lost just over an inch of length. For those that still use O/A, these burning glasses are the cat's meow. More to say after dinner.

Dinner... MMMMMMM... Bacon, eggs and waffles...

Back at it. The weather was nice and warm, but just a bit too windy for Mig, so the welder was switched over to stick. Running a 50A machine off of a 30A breaker, the breaker tripped twice so I called it a day.

Red, this buggy has been street legal since '82, a year after it was built, and a trailer hitch was put on it several years back. I'm just tired of flat towing it when we make an extended trip into CO or NM and now a future trip into GA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1820.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	148414   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1822.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	148415   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1824.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	148416   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1826.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	148417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1828.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	148418  

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.

Last edited by arizonian; 12-09-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:52 PM
Auction Addict

Fit up was much improved. That was a first for me. Never heard of, or saw a welder called a dipstick.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 12-09-2018, 09:21 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Fit up was much improved. That was a first for me. Never heard of, or saw a welder called a dipstick.
I believe they were produced by allied and sold by the gypsy tool pushers for a short time and then picked up by someone else then phased out not long after that but I'm not 100% sure that they were sold by gypsy tool sellers just sort of remember seeing them at a sale like that somewhere at one time

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 12-09-2018, 09:23 PM
Project Phoenix

Dip-stick 160 was the model , MFG'ed by Airco, that was the machine that I learned MIG on in Vo-Tech, back in 77-79 high school.

Stick was fairly good for a single phase machine, mig was ok just not up to the Millermatic 35 of the same era.

Nice to see one after all these years, thanks for the memories!

Millermatic 200 w/ SKP-35 Spot Pulse Weld Panel, Tweco MIG-GUN #2, running ER70S-6 .035 wire on CO2, Spoolmatic 1 Spool Gun
Old 12-09-2018, 09:27 PM
Lubrication Consultant

My bad stand corrected yes by AirCo not sure why I was in my mind as allied

Old 12-09-2018, 09:44 PM
Elite Member

AirCo were very good products in their day. A man I worked with for a short time had his set up with a high-freq start unit so he could Tig SS without contaminating the tungsten. Didn't have a pedal, so you set the machine and went to welding.

IIRC, Miller eventually bought out AirCo.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:59 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonian View Post
AirCo were very good products in their day. A man I worked with for a short time had his set up with a high-freq start unit so he could Tig SS without contaminating the tungsten. Didn't have a pedal, so you set the machine and went to welding.

IIRC, Miller eventually bought out AirCo.
you still see some of the old AirCo machines for sale around here on CL usually overpriced and well used an not so well taken care of but once in a good while you will find a good fairly clean machine rare an usually being sold by one of the old timer fabrication shops... there is a guy in north Texas that buys old welders if they are in fair shape and still work and for a fair price a bit more that it could be sold for on CL for sure...

I had an old miller plasma cutter that the torch alone from miller German design cost was over a grand....

he offered 500 for it I gave a 100 an told him what I gave for it but the torch was messed up a bit you could get it to cut once in a while but that was about it machine worked no issues but that dam torch sucked I guess he restores them and resells them

by the way your machine looks to be well taken care of

Old 12-10-2018, 11:16 AM

That looks PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad you refit it. Anal is good on some things.

http://www.farmersamm.com/