Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 01-21-2018, 06:20 PM

Here is the transmission from the old craftsman riding lawnmower. it is a 2:1 ratio, and will be used for the steering box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6339.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	143132  

"Yes, we did produce a near perfect Republic. But will they keep it? Or will they in their enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the surest way to destruction. Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

Thomas Jefferson

If you spent 1 million dollars every day from the time Christ walked the earth until now, you still would not have spent 1 trillion dollars!

Last edited by Barn Owl; 01-21-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:24 AM

The transmission had a sprocket on one side and I needed to be some other kind of shaft because a chain was not going to work for this application. I welded on a 3/4" nut and I am thinking my steering shaft will be as simple as a swap meet 3/8 drive socket and extension that connects to the nut.

"Yes, we did produce a near perfect Republic. But will they keep it? Or will they in their enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the surest way to destruction. Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

Thomas Jefferson

If you spent 1 million dollars every day from the time Christ walked the earth until now, you still would not have spent 1 trillion dollars!
Old 01-23-2018, 12:58 AM
Auction Addict

What type of tires are they? Solid? Weight capacity?

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 01-23-2018, 10:33 AM

They are standard wheel chair tires. They do not have a valve but they seem like they may be permanently air filled. But remember they are not holding the weight of the lift, they are just pushing.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-23-2018, 09:53 PM

So to paint a bit of a clearer picture of my project, in the photo you can see a welded tab that looks like a domino on the suspension arm. It has 6 holes drilled into it and is facing rearward. These two tabs are going to hold a platform to stand on. This is going to accomplish two objectives, First it will plant the wheels on the ground and reduce any "peeling out", second it will keep feet out of the way of getting run over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6334.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	143162  

Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-24-2018, 12:52 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn Owl View Post
This is going to accomplish two objectives, First it will plant the wheels on the ground and reduce any "peeling out", second it will keep feet out of the way of getting run over.
Aha! I had wondered if it was going to remain a walk-behind.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 01-24-2018, 02:29 AM

I have a similar Lift-Rite, my solution to the manoeuvrability problem was to take the forks of and put them onto my baby Bobcat. They work a treat.

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 01-24-2018, 01:38 PM

Well that is one way to fix the problem. I guess I will add "build a baby Bobcat" to my list.

Cutter, yeah a figured when you are pushing it with brute force your feet tend to be way back behind the lift and away from danger, but if the motors are doing all of the work there is a big possibility of gettin yerself rund over!

Thomas Jefferson