Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 02-26-2014, 02:12 PM

Default Relining a septic pumper tank???

I have seen the term "relined tank". I am looking at a septic pumper vacuum tank on Craig list. It says had tank relined. What do they mean? How would you get inside and reline it without cutting the end out or a large hole to get the metal inside. I know this is really a vague question but if some one had done it maybe you can answer. How thick of metal would you use and how much additional weight would it add to the tank. I know it would depend on how thick the metal was and how much they used. I would think that adding very much metal would really cut down on your gross weight.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

If the tank was relined I doubt there was any metal involved. There are numerous chemical tank liners available now so I suspect it was done this way. In the case of large tanks which can't be rolled or sloshed around the most common practice is some sort of spray on liner. It can be anywhere from the consistency of paint to a thick rubberized coating--like a spray in bed-liner.

The physical condition and prep of the metal tank prior to spraying has a big impact on the outcome. If the tank was really rusty or rotten prior to spraying the new liner isn't likely going to stand up too well...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 02-26-2014, 03:40 PM

That's what I think it must have been. Some sort of spray on application. I haven't seen the truck. I talked to the truck dealer and he couldn't tell me anything. He didn't know what relined meant. He said it belonged to the St. Clairsville, in Oh waste water treatment plant and they sent it out to be "relined". I called someone there and they vaguely remember the truck from a few years ago but couldn't remember what was done to the tank. I have heard that term used before when looking for a septic pumper truck but never quite understood the phrase.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:25 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

i relined a cement truck tub once.
You cut a slot in the side to slide the new plates in.
The ready mix truck tub has flites in it,big ass threads,so when you reverse the tub it screws the mud out the top.
Where the flites join the tub theres a bunch of hard concrete to hammer out.
Then cut them out,grind,weld new AR plate to line the tub,then weld in new flites.
A real suck job.
Concrete trucks wear out from the inside out.

Does a Vac truck wear out and then collapse?
or does the vacuum just take its toll on them?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:33 PM
Elite Member

Since you said this truck belonged to a city's waste water department, I'm going to assume it's a Vactor-type machine. I run one for our city, so I can help you out with some information.
We have one Vactor, a 1994, that has had some holes rust through the debris body (tank). These machines open the rear end, some totally, some 3/4 of the diameter of the tank. Gives plenty of room to enter and work. We took ours to a welding/machine shop. They rolled new steel to match the inside of the tank, laid it in and welded it in place. The entire one-third of the bottom of the body was done in this manner. It has, also, been patched on the outside in a couple places, where working from the inside was impossible.
Oh, by the way, Vactor is a brand name for one company which makes these machines. Other names are Vac Con, Aqua Tech, Etc.
Do you mind posting the particulars from the CL add?
Old 02-26-2014, 08:01 PM
Boiler God

If you use enough, won't the turds reline it?..............................
Old 02-26-2014, 08:16 PM
Over the Top

We have two VaCons. We looked at relining one of ours last year. We was going to use SpectraShield liner system.
Most of the fixes in the past have been welding patches on from the inside.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:28 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
Always gotta be one in the crowd...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 02-27-2014, 07:13 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
Our sewer system keeps getting so much sand and other debris in it that, when you use the vac, it sandblasts the inside of the body. Turd coating doesn't stand up to that.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:16 AM

It is just a straight septic pumper truck. The end does not open. I do have one that does and it makes it nice if you want to open it up clean it and re coat it inside. When they say "relined" I think they must be referring like Keith said above. It must mean the coated it with something. I have heard that there are a few places that use a fresh air supply, climb in there and spray the inside with a material like your "Rino" truck bed. If it was rusted through, this would not work because you have a vacuum, and if tank was wore thin in belly, could collapse under vacuum. With the gravel sloshing around it does wear the bottom part thin. I called the salesman again and he couldn't tell me any thing. My concern is the weight. Most of the septic pumper trucks in our area are rated at 26 GVW. (including mine) So adding any more extra weight is a no-no. (such as rebuilding or relining the belly with a plate. ) I had just seen the term used when looking at the ad for septic trucks. I am going to try and go look at it tomorrow, if everything works out . It is about 200 miles away. All I am really interested in is the tank.