Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 01-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

yes, I've done it, I doo it, (oxy/fuel gas, and arc rod)
but I also use air arc when I can.

Makes it that much easier when gouging.

In a pinch I have used 6011 rod (or whatever is on hand),
grabbed a blow gun, and "2 handed" air arced.

I have not tried plasma gouging yet though.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
We don't do a lot of heavy welding and repair work these days but once in a while a job comes along that we can't really say no to. We've been without a decent gouge for a while now so when this rig popped up on Craigslist a couple days ago I decided to try and snag it. It's a 400 amp unit which is more than we need but heavier is always better, right?

Took a couple days to make contact with the seller but we connected earlier this evening and I just got home from picking it up. He had it listed for 90 bucks and I got it for 80 so I'm happy. It hasn't seen much use and is in really good shape.

This is actually pretty good timing since we've got a job sitting in the wings that involves replacing the ears on several backhoe buckets--it'll get to pay for itself pretty quick...
That's a great model for average guy use.. (If it's the K2000, which I have) Reason is air use.. CFM use is 8cfm at 40 psi All the other models use way more air then this one does. I put a link to the next model up, and you can see the difference in air use. Not loud at all.. It will have aluminum jaws instead of copper on the larger units. I think I paid $60 brand new for old stock Airgas. Under $100.00 you did very well.

http://store.cyberweld.com/arcaarcgotok.html

http://victortechnologies.com/produc...rodID=61046002

http://victortechnologies.com/produc...rodID=61065002

Last edited by Scott V; 01-07-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Lord of the Minions

If the need arises, I'll opt for AirArc over grinding or O/A gouging etc. So much neater on the finished cleaning and a heck of a lot cheaper over use of gas.

Plus, I just like the light show when it's done at night.

Keith, I have the exact same model and it has served me well over the last 7 or 8 years that I've had it. I love it. Mine has the copper jaws as well.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Drivin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe1942 View Post
You didn't know it could be done? How do you think it was done fifty years ago.. O/A or arc. Used a special rod..Can't remember what composition..
I have also used an arc welder when I ran out of O/A, but didn't use any special rod. All I did was crank the SA200 to max, and used ordinary rods (heaviest I had with me) to blow holes and/or cut with (dismantling a natural gas regulator station that experienced a minor explosion, and then caught on fire).
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 01-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Spinner of Wood

Used one of them for 28 years and don't miss it one bit.

Nothing like a 5/8 carbon and 700 amps to backgouge a root.

http://www.ibrbsantas.org/
Old 01-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Project Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy_Acres View Post
Exactly what is it ? I see welding cable-plug-clamp, and and a gas hose ? Is this some welding hybrid tool ? What is its purpose ? I need some edumaction here, this is new to me.
A gouger can rip a bead out faster than you can lay it, when every thing is right.

Millermatic 200 w/ SKP-35 Spot Pulse Weld Panel, Tweco MIG-GUN #2, running ER70S-6 .035 wire on CO2, Spoolmatic 1 Spool Gun
Old 01-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Something's Fishy ...

They convert perfectly good steel into hot flying metal and noise
Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe1942 View Post
You didn't know it could be done? How do you think it was done fifty years ago.. O/A or arc. Used a special rod..Can't remember what composition..
Been a long time but it seems to me that 6010 cranked up on an old electric drive DC welder would work pretty good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
That's a great model for average guy use.. (If it's the K2000, which I have) Reason is air use.. CFM use is 8cfm at 40 psi All the other models use way more air then this one does. I put a link to the next model up, and you can see the difference in air use. Not loud at all.. It will have aluminum jaws instead of copper on the larger units. I think I paid $60 brand new for old stock Airgas. Under $100.00 you did very well.
This one is the K4000--big sucker, and it does have the copper contacts. Will probably suck close to 30 CFM of air so that's going to limit us a bit. We have neither the power nor the air to take full advantage of this thing but we can make it work--will just require some patience while waiting on the air. Usually bigger is better but in this case it would have been nice to find a K2000 instead--would be much more in line with our needs. The gun itself isn't the problem; it's the size of the air holes; they'll bleed off more air than necessary for the size of carbons we plan to run. I'm thinking I might try and put little reducer sleeves in to reduce the air consumption. Don't see why it wouldn't work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpertruck View Post
Nothing like a 5/8 carbon and 700 amps to backgouge a root.
Holy crap! That's a show I'd like to see--from a distance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
They convert perfectly good steel into hot flying metal and noise
Isn't that why we're all here? But just think, because you're so close you can even borrow the thing if need be--make your own spark show. I think for you it would be an "outdoor" toy...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:41 AM
Elite Member

Reducing the hole size should be just the ticket. I just use 3/16 with my mutimaster 300. Works easy, and not full blast. My little Thermal 400 MST has 500 amp available , and for the life of me, I can't get it to carbon arc worth snot.The VRD is turned off ,so who knows what's up with that? No matter, just as soon use the one in warranty. I have plasma gouge tips for my Esab Plasma, if I need that process.. I would only do a few welds/etc anyway, so not stressing out things out too much. My C-300 powerwave had a Gouging setting, but that would be like taking a Cadillac to the Baja 400.

http://www.red-d-arc.com/pdf/Air%20C...ing%20Data.pdf
Old 01-08-2013, 05:13 AM

400 amps is the most I've ever used and it was all I needed. Worked with a guy once that said he was using one washing hard face that was too brittle off of 48" dirt augers. Using 600 amps and flat electrodes. Said it was fast, but they had to put their Tweco quick connectors in a bucket of water to keep from burning the rubber off them. Also said the coil of welding cable hanging on the welder would jump a couple inches every time the arc made and broke. That's pretty often when it gets to sputtering.

I believe him, he was a guy that wasn't prone to embellishment.

“The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity” Abraham Lincoln