Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 09-08-2009, 08:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to Dark_Angel Send a message via Yahoo to Dark_Angel

He is right, it was my mistake for not looking at my previous threads. Thank you for the help.

Around here there aren't to many strawberries being grown around here haha, just lots of machinery breaking and me getting the call to come repair things.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:11 AM
cliffw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
I cant really do what I love right now which is field welding preferably oilfield because I was stupid and got myself into a bit of trouble awhile back (DUI if your wondering).
I'm not sure why a DUI would keep you from oilfield welding unless you do not have a driver's license.
All my life I have worked on oil field drilling rigs, as a roughneck down here in south Texas. I understand that oil and gas drilling is picking up in your area. We use welders on every job, three or four times every well. More if repairs retro fitting, or refurbs need to be done. They get $25.00 to $38.00 an hour with a four hour minimum. Things are slow just now but when we are busy a good welder gets 80 to 100 hours a week (contractor). Not sure how much a welder who works for a welding company gets. I suppose it depends if he has his own equipment or uses a company truck.
I have also built drilling rigs and we would use a small army of welders. Texas is a right to work state. No unions. Many welders will pick up clients just as a hair dresser does. I just drill wells then move on to the next hole. When I am done, others come behind me and complete it then someone else sets up production equipment. We all use welders. There would be no oil and gas without welders.
I would assume that when a welder is not working for us, that he could be doing any other type of welding. Rail road, farm and ranch, whatever.