Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 05-19-2019, 04:18 PM
Elite Member

Default Ingersoll Rand 231 half inch impact

So I got this impact gun through some trading. It works well and has good power for its size, but the C clilp on the snout is toast and doesn't hold the sockets on anymore. The nose is in rough shape in general actually. Not sure if a C clip swap is possible. Has anyone ever done this type of maintenance? If I have to swap in a new snout, I can accept that, but I'd like to try to swap it out first.

Anyone have any guidance?
Old 05-19-2019, 05:11 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
So I got this impact gun through some trading. It works well and has good power for its size, but the C clilp on the snout is toast and doesn't hold the sockets on anymore. The nose is in rough shape in general actually. Not sure if a C clip swap is possible. Has anyone ever done this type of maintenance? If I have to swap in a new snout, I can accept that, but I'd like to try to swap it out first.

Anyone have any guidance?
Got a couple of pic of the snout to see what you mean by a rough shape like in missing the nose that holds the ring clip ??
Old 05-19-2019, 05:31 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Yep,

go to the IR website and look at the kit to repair all this. The c clip and backer ring may be available from Mcmaster in individual pieces.

I am awaiting a gun with a pin style retainer and then I will see about rebuilding the front end of the clip style retainer.

Scott
Old 05-19-2019, 06:57 PM

Just Clips brand pn: JC500 are what I have had good luck with. Made in USA to boot.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:18 PM
Elite Member

Looking at it, its toast. I will probably just use it as is. A new anvil is only about $40 but I am cheap. I may just make an adapter for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190520_140311.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	150830  

Last edited by gimpyrobb; 05-20-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:28 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Looking at it, its toast. I will probably just use it as is. A new anvil is only about $40 but I am cheap. I may just make an adapter for it.

well, Rob. If you're that cheap ...I would drill and pin style the thing and be done with it... Or at least till that wears out or the impact goes south totally...
Just poking pun on the being cheap Rob hell I'm the same way with things like that... no need to make a chap working tool cost more than it has to right...
That's my floskaloscopeeee

The other thing you could do is pull the hammer out set it up in the mill cut it down to a 3/8 drive cut in a new nose for the ring clip-3/8 clip and you would have one hell of a torquey 3/8 impact

DangIt... I just gave my self a heck of an Ideer... I have a nice slimline compact Impact "no-name brand" but it ain't worth a hoot's toot as a 1/2" drive impact, I think ill do just that as it will make a good 3/8 drive for sure... save me from having to always be searching for my 1/2-3/8 adapter for it...

Last edited by MetalWolf; 05-20-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:07 AM
Armchair Webbie

Quote:
I used to work with a guy who was always bragging about how cheap he was. His wife said that he could squeeze the ink out of a dollar bill. I told him, "You may have written the book about being cheap but, I picked it up at a yard sale for 50 cents."

Dave
Old 05-20-2019, 03:45 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Zach View Post
Just Clips brand pn: JC500 are what I have had good luck with. Made in USA to boot.
Thanks Zach,

I found them on amazon and ordered.

Scott