Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 10-31-2005, 01:15 PM
Big Shovel

Default Dirtdigger's Doghouse (shop)

Well, we are in full swing here as far as work goes, but I thought I'd get started on this new thread since Shade was nice enough to start a shop building/design section. I'll add more as I have time, or when we get some rainy days.

I spent years planning and dreaming about a shop. Finally in a few years ago we got a place out in the country with plenty of room for a shop. I have folders upon folders of designs, info and plans that I'd been going over and in the fall 2002 I decided to just do it. the original idea was a 60 x 40 workshop. Mainly what I needed was a palce to pull in my heavy equipment in the winter for repairs and maintenace. Well............this thing had a life of it's own and grew (on paper) to 60 x 100. and as I was ordering the materials my buddy who was helping me put it up talked me into going another 20 ft, so the final size ended up 60 x 120 with 16 ft eves. It's a pole type constuction, super insulated and will have radiant floor heat when it's all said and done.

now for some pics.........here are just a few. I need to scan in some more of the building process later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shopmed (1).JPG
Views:	1245
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	7165   Click image for larger version

Name:	shopmed (2).JPG
Views:	886
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	7166   Click image for larger version

Name:	shopmed (3).JPG
Views:	931
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	7167   Click image for larger version

Name:	shopmed.jpg
Views:	1115
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	7168  
Old 10-31-2005, 06:59 PM

sounds like a dream is finally coming true for you best of luck with the next phases of construction! keep us informed
Old 11-01-2005, 08:14 AM
American Tools Keep Americans Working

dirtdigger - My 30x70 shop is plenty big <LOL> It was perfect until I moved the machinery & equipment in, now it's crammed to the gills.

You'll never regret going larger on a shop building You may want to think about electric service - a friend has a shop the size of yours with A SINGLE 200 amp service panel. He can run the big welder OR the big air compressor, but not both at the same time. A pair of 200 amp panels would have cost him little initially, lots if he does it now.

Keep the photos coming........
Old 11-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Big Shovel

Quote:
Originally Posted by precisionworks
dirtdigger - My 30x70 shop is plenty big <LOL> It was perfect until I moved the machinery & equipment in, now it's crammed to the gills.

You'll never regret going larger on a shop building You may want to think about electric service - a friend has a shop the size of yours with A SINGLE 200 amp service panel. He can run the big welder OR the big air compressor, but not both at the same time. A pair of 200 amp panels would have cost him little initially, lots if he does it now.

Keep the photos coming........

Well Barry, the elecric service is a long story.............I have 3 phase 40 feet away from the shop. I was going to have it hooked up, but the power co. kept giving me hastles. they wanted to know the rating and stuff of my 3 phase equip. and since I don't have any (yet) I didn't know what to tell them. plus it was going to cost a fortune to hook up and I would have had to set a couple poles and would have had low lines right next to the shop where I planned to be pulling heavy equipment in on the semi.

so.............long story short............I ran underground wire from the house meter and have a 200 amp service in the shop. (just what you said not to do) but this has been done for 2 years now. I run a good sized compressor and a Lincon 255 Mig and havent had trouble yet. I figure when I do get some 3 phase stuff I will make a phase convertor or break down and get 3 phase hooked up, but right now it's mostly just a repair shop and we don't run any big machines (ie: lathes, press or real big compressors) yet.

the benefit form running it from the house is that it is a residential rate, not commercial like they would have charged me if I had put the shop on it's own meter. So, I'm saving a little there.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:32 AM
Big Shovel

OK, here we go. I have a little bit of time today so here are some more pics of my shop project. this is the whole thing. 60 x 120. all in a couple of little piles. I thouhgt they forgot something, but it was all there (minus the rafters I guess in this pic)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shoppic1 (Small).jpg
Views:	669
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	8276  

Last edited by dirtdigger; 12-19-2005 at 12:46 PM. Reason: dial-up frendlier
Old 11-26-2005, 11:34 AM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdigger
well here is a test run to see if I can make photobucket work for me. I like the posts better that use it cause I have DSL. my appologies to those still on dial up, but I'm too lazy to keep hitting the back button. we'll see if this works.

http://[IMG]http://i27.photobucket.c....jpg[/IMG]

nope but keep trying youll get it

Rick

Politically Correct : A term used for whiny pu**ies that need sh*t sugar coated .
Old 11-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Big Shovel

i'm workin on it rick. I always like to wait till I need something before I learn it.
kinda like learning how to change a front wheel bearing assembly in the F-250 superduty 4x4 this week. we managed to figure it out and then I took off on a 130 mi round trip and the wheel didn't fall off, so I musta did something right?
Old 11-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Big Shovel

Here is some more shots of it going up. I used Amish labor to help "erect" it. It took us 9 days from start to finish. (drilling holes to framed in with siding and roof on) I rented a Cat rough terrane forklift to make things go easier. used it to set all the rafters and set the sheeting (osb) and shingles up on the roof. the eves are 16 ft.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shopprog (4) (Small).jpg
Views:	564
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	8277   Click image for larger version

Name:	shopprog (3) (Small).jpg
Views:	598
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	8278  

Last edited by dirtdigger; 12-19-2005 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Big Shovel

Here's a couple more. I need to do some more scanning to show you the finished project. fire away with any questions..........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shopprog (2) (Small).jpg
Views:	534
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	8279   Click image for larger version

Name:	shopprog (1) (Small).jpg
Views:	649
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	8280  

Last edited by dirtdigger; 12-19-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:56 AM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

Their working now looks good Dirtdigger .

Rick

Politically Correct : A term used for whiny pu**ies that need sh*t sugar coated .