Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 05-23-2022, 11:32 AM
Administrator

I guess I am doing a job where it would come in handy. We had to make two cylinder mount ends for some low boy cylinders. Customer did specifically say he wanted a lot of clearance for grease and rust.

Unfortunately, comachinist didn’t quite bore them out enough, and after welding them onto the barrels, they warped .030. And we did not verify the pins fitting ( we didn’t have the pins on hand to test fit) after welding. Delivered the cylinders to the customer, and when they found out the pins would not fit, they were a bit upset.

So now I am boring out an egg shaped hole to make a 2-3/8” pin fit. Only machine I have big enough is the big radial arm Fosdick drill press. I have a boring head setup in the #5 Morse taper spindle. Taking light cuts and praying the head does not come out of the Morse taper.

I do not have enough distance the way I am set up to take entire 10” long bore, so I have to do 5”, then turn barrel over and come in from other side. Hopefully I’ll get it close enough to get pin to slide thru.

Amazing how much a weld can distort and warp things. Unfortunately, this mistake was on us, especially since we did not verify the pin fitting after welding. No quick fixing this mistake.
I did make up a big centering tool to help line the head up. The drill press is not perfectly level, so it the head will move by itself before the column clamp locks down, making it hard to make fine adjustments. This way I can just pull the quill down and center it in hole, and then lock the column.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2194.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	164744

Name:	IMG_2195.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	164745

Name:	IMG_2196.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	164746

Name:	IMG_2193.jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	164747

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 05-23-2022, 02:05 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkclimber View Post

act quickly-the longer you wait the greater chances are it's trashed..at least call the yard and tell them you're interested in it,even then the word doesnt always get passed down to the guy on the crane quick enough.
You obviously have experience dealing with scrap yards.

Experience has thought me it is best to have a good relationship with whoever moves the inventory and to communicate with them your intention.

Another hazard is having parts removed. Salvaging parts from machines is common practice at this yard. I have a good relationship with the whole crew there. They are keeping an eye on the machine for me.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 05-23-2022, 02:18 PM
Elite Member

Thanks to the link posted by digr I learned two things.

The machine weighs about 700 pounds more than I thought, but this indicated weight might be with an attachment that I see in the picture. It looks like an arbor support!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6A567516-962D-4737-B762-5C1A6774657F.jpg
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	164750  

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 05-26-2022, 09:29 AM
Elite Member

It started to sprinkle just as I was leaving the yard. I promptly covered it when home.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C95128DD-8FBD-4415-8E94-F71E94DAD6FB.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	164787  

Old 05-26-2022, 10:58 AM
Gold Star Dad

Here's a catalog sheet. Shows an optional outboard support.

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2098/20221.pdf
Old 05-26-2022, 11:20 AM
Gold Star Dad

Here's one that is a bit different - has a rotary tamle on the spindle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXDOvAa6Mus

Another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl1xjG7IgkU

A couple guys at Practical Machinist have one. Perhaps one of them has found a manual or can answer questions you may have. Especially user KPOTTER (Kevin Potter). He's into vintage machinery.

https://www.potterusa.com/
Old 05-26-2022, 12:59 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
I haven’t bought this........yet.

What do you fellows think?
Why would you even consider it ?

You said this :
"Machines generally aren’t necessary to make anything unless they need to be made quickly.

It is not surprising that the skills of the hand are being lost to the believe that some machine or special tool is needed. There is little profit for corporations by promoting old skill values.

Corporations have been promoting speed and convenience for few generations now. The result is a loss of the skills that our predecessors have spent a lifetime learning, one of humanities greatest tragedies I think."

so "No machines for YOU !"
Old 05-27-2022, 10:07 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
Why would you even consider it ?
Because I like machines, especially ones that I can save from being reprocessed.

To be clear, my aversion to machines begins where the human element of control ends. I simply see computer control in any form as a disservice to humanity.