Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 08-30-2013, 02:01 PM

I have plenty of documentation in the program. Every bit, # value, ladder line is documented, but the issue is all the interlocking between all the sequences that takes time to figure out again. Right now there's just over 200 float values alone, keeping track of everything. But I do try to make it easy on myself when I write the code. Every process is broken up into it's own sub-routine, and I try to have each process come down to a few bits and numbers, which makes interlocking/integrating into other parts of the process much easier. Ex: the ironworker control is divided into 2 sub-routines, 1 is the process control interfaced into the backgauge and the second is just the punching process. All the control(manual,semi-auto,full auto, backgauge in pos, etc) is done in the first part, and the second gets a single activate control bit from the 1st part to command the punch and watch for faults.

Everybody wants an easy to use interface with one start button and no setup. That's fine, and I totally agree with that but, it tends to make the programming tedious and at times overly complex. Like the restart logic. All you see is a simple selection process, but behind the scenes it's a nightmare. Every restart option's control logic is different, based on "In Motion", "Idle", "Machine Mode", all the look ahead to know what can't be done, and how to deal with faults. At times, I wanted to say, "screw it", if you hit an e-stop your SOL; start over
Old 08-30-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
My thoughts exactly!

I almost want to ask what toothed blade on your saw and wire for your welding machine.

I did have it turned up to 850. If your not paying attention, fingers could spontaneously detach from ones body; either caught in the roller table or stripper plate. But, if I could come up with a way to keep the work piece tight to the push plate coupled with a pair of squaring cylinders, then you could turn it up a little and walk away. For now, 200-450 is plenty fast enough for working speeds. The rapid home could be 600-700 since the backgauge or myself doesn't have to control anything.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:00 PM

Talking I'm bored. Here's a stupid workpiece video.

I need a break from programming and thought I'd do another workpiece video. The workpiece is 10.5" x 6.5" with a little over 300 positions.
I set the stroke control to just prick punch the WP since there's no sense completely wearing out the 3/16" punch. Manaully moving the WP into position proved a little difficult but, for the most part, it turned out ok.

It was interesting to watch the HMI video during operation. Most of the positions are holding around .005" or less. A few positions were around
.010"-.015". There turns out to be more backlash than I thought, but I hope when the encoder control is implemented that the backgauge should auto compensate for it.

There are 2 videos. One full length video for the masochists, with hmi screen shots and punching and another high speed video with just the punching operation.

Edit: I re-edited the full length video, increasing the punching operation 6x.

Full Length:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jia-WWLbIZc
High Speed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qawVhHx6EJA

Last edited by JidoukaSS; 09-08-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:53 PM

Default Version 2.0

Free at last, free at last... for nowI've got a lot of other projects going on, so besides optimizing a few functions and possibly adding some work piece control cylinders, this project is done. I also can't add anymore to HMI without upgrading since it's memory has all been used.
Ver 2.0 release notes :
-Selectable backgauge control methods: Encoder Mode with Job Tolerance/Step Count Mode
-System Fault/Warning Bugs Worked Out. Fault List:
-Downstroke/Upstroke Timeout
-Ironworker Not Ready/In Position
-Homing/Registration/Away Limit Sensor Fault
-Multiple Sensor Failure
-Backgauge Failure To Move
-Homing Routine Failure
-Downstroke Abort Failure
-Encoder Following Error(Jam/Motor Stall Detect)
-First RCP Pos. 0
-W.P. Length Mismatch
-Duplicate Concurrent Pos.
-System Not Homed
-Homing Routine Interrupted
-Calib. Routine Interrupted
-Current Position Not Within Tolerance

-Auto Recipe Verification Upon Download
-Stuck Button Logic. I started running into scan time issues as the program progressively got bigger;PLC memory half full, HMI Full. There would be an occassional button that would get stuck on the screen, so I had to create another sub-routine to watch every single HMI button and automatically unlatch it if stuck.

The backgauge has been working very well. Most positions are holding within +/- .005" while others are within .005-.01" without auto correcting. I've noticed that it depends on what position on the backgauge your at; mechanical alignment, non-precision gear rack, etc. And, I'm sure there is some error with the current encoder setup, as it's reliant on the gear rack(mechanical alignment,backlash,etc) instead of a true linear distance derived from a linear tape encoder($). It's still better than a motor encoder which tells very little; can't detect gear skipping out rack on jam, etc. I ran a test running the same recipe in 3 different modes: step count, encoder, encoder w/manual "auto correct"(still need to make auto correct "Automatic" to truly get closed loop control). The auto correct mode does hold a little bit tighter tolerances. As you can see from the pics there isn't a whole lot of differences between modes. Luckily, I'm not making parts for NASA.

So for a relatively inexpensive POS home build, I can't really ask for more.

Video: Edwards 55 Ton Ironworker CNC Backgauge Version 2.0 - YouTube
Pics top to bottom: Encoder, Encoder w/Auto Correct, Step Count.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	077.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	110600   Click image for larger version

Name:	078.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	110601   Click image for larger version

Name:	079.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	110602   Click image for larger version

Name:	073.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	110603  
Old 10-28-2013, 12:48 AM
SFT Historian

Nice work and Congratulations.
Time flies when you are having fun, seems like only a few months.
But just shy of one year (11-4-12).
Old 10-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Excellent,

Mine is still projecting along, I do some stuff and they keep asking for something else. I tell em ask away, all this looks good on my resume.

Scott
Old 10-29-2013, 09:49 AM

I'm glad it's "done". What is it about projects that start out with a simple goal, and then somewhere along the way morph into an 800lbs unstoppable, life sucking gorrilla?

Anyways, we'll see how long it holds up. All that's left to do is the "Employee" (Dad) training. I feel that I've done everything I could to make it easy to use with as minimal input as possible; fault for everything, setup help, etc. It's essentially, Home, Download, Start.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:18 AM

Default First Heavy Demo Run

I uploaded a video running a couple pieces of stock. I didn't want to waste the steel, so the ironworker was setup to prick punch. Pictures below are of the larger piece. For the most part, it holds pretty well; plenty good enough for the work it gets. Hopefully I can get a few of the program changes finished then make prints, backup programs, and finally dump all that **** out of my mind and start a new project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6D2cTCNd2g
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	111265   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	111266   Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	111267   Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	111268   Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	111269  

Old 11-21-2013, 01:19 AM

The rest of job pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	017.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	111270   Click image for larger version

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	111271  
Old 11-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JidoukaSS View Post
To tell you the truth, I'm not sure how much I know any more. The programming is slowly but surely running away from me. Right now, combining all the full/popup windows, I'm up to about 90, and the controller has well over a 1000 lines of code. That's why I need to push through and get this done. Programming is one of those things, at least for me, that once you start you can't stop until it's complete. It's extemely easy to forget how everything is controlled in a few days time; especially this project which has a ton of moving parts. But that's part of the reason for building this. One is to have a new useful tool in the shop and second, is to exercise my mind with new ideas and hopefully learn something that I can apply in industry. The old adage,"Use it or lose it" comes to mind.
As you write code do you make a flow chart to help to remember how things are related?

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato

LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!